Sperry Drilling Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Christopher Gaut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A ship taking on gallons by the the day"

Former Employee - M\LWD Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cant think of any pros

Cons

A truly shocking organisation. Equipment from the dark ages while excellent field staff attempt to work magic with broken tools. Management and coordinators are just useless at every turn. The company will close its doors soon with current levels of service. Its just not worth bothering working for Sperry Aberdeen and all the clients are moving away from these idiots.

Advice to Management

Close your doors

2. "Dont bother..."

Former Employee - M\LWD Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent field staff working with very old technology and equipment. Staff all performing at a high level regardless of the prctically non existent training regimes.

Cons

The company is a basket case from the top down. CEO managed to mess up a merger with Baker Hughes last year costing the company billions of dollars but still managed to give himself and his cronys a pay rise. All the while, every PSL is shedding staff at alarming rate and cutting pay.

Advice to Management

Your staff are your greatest asset, not pawns to be discarded at the first sign of trouble.

3. "Showed their true colors during the downturn"

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Tons of pay cuts since the downturn. Shady business dealings, management will lie to your face about changes in pay and work practices. Have no loyalty to their employees, only for the bottom dollar.
    Will not let you move between PSLs easily. They do not encourage career growth.

Advice to Management

Clean house and put some people in there that are willing to look out for your employees, instead of only worrying about the customer and investors.

4. "Directional Driller"

Current Employee - Directional Driller in Baku (Azerbaijan)
    Current Employee - Directional Driller in Baku (Azerbaijan)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good teamwork, have a perfect beneficial package, paid holidays and vocations. High rig bonuses and night payments

Cons

Very hard to promoted in proper time, very few amount training provided, learning programs and new applies only during the job

Advice to Management

Need to send employees to the training who desire to learn, promote engineers who are very well and deserve for better motivation

5. "M/LWD Contract Performance Manager/Coordinator"

Pros

Family orientated company where everyone strives and help each other to meet client requirement in any project.

Cons

Playing catching up in the race of technology and equipment with competitors.

6. "Directional Drilling Coordinatot"

Former Employee - DRILLING OPTIMIZATION & REAL TIME SUPERVISOR in Quito (Ecuador)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience, trainning people, Client mangemnet.

Cons

Meet all kind of people and deal with them

Advice to Management

Focus on front line employees,

7. "M/LWD Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with good benefits and pay. Great profession with lots of training and growth. Long hours with crazy days but worth every minute. Oil and gas for lifee!!

Cons

It sucks the cyclical behavior of oil and gas because as a young man in this industry it is hard. We need better job security.

"The worst possible option for engineers, do your research"

Pros

Employees rarely work more than 50 hour weeks.

Cons

HIERAR-CRAZY:
    Sperry (software) has a fundamentally flawed management philosophy and is desperately trying to build a hierarchy of managers. Managers are chosen from a pool of friends and family to those that are higher up. Which means managers are people who know nothing about their "domains of expertise" other than what they pecked out of engineers who quit. "Merit" and "Egalitarianism" are cuss words not to spoken out loud.

EXPLOITATIVE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES ARE A HALLMARK:
    Managers have to contribute nothing and granted unlimited powers to abuse. The standard protocol in my group was: the lowest rank of employees did all the work, including development and research, following which they were asked to train their manager and write reports which were for his leisure reading. The manager would then, WEEKLY, take all the data/figures out of the report, carefully strip out names of individuals who actually performed the work and present them to his superiors and peers in "team meetings" which we were asked not to attend. The justification provided, literally, for this was "we don't waste time in presentations with names".

It was common for the managers to stamp their names to be on our invention disclosures. It was common for managers to stockpile reports from everywhere and pull them out in meetings misrepresenting the work as their own ("WE" did xyz) and without permission. In academia, you'd be fired for plagiarism. Here, its a survival skill for managers.

Employees in the lower ranks, interns and coops were often ordered to train their managers on technology and were subsequently graded by the managers using a "PPR" process! At one point, an expensive consultant was hired for an entire year to train my manager.

Of course, as a result, most people who contributed to the development of products have left - usually the young crowd in the lower ranks. Every year during summer a pool of interns and coops would come in from Univ of Houston. Every single year, full time job offers would be made and every single offer was rejected.

LAID OFF FROM BOTH ENDS:
    From the top they are being "let go" by Halliburton as a result of the Baker Hughes acquisition and the fact that Sperry's technology is far inferior to Baker Hughes.

From the bottom, a lot of employees have quit contributing to some of the highest attrition rates I've ever seen. What's left of course is a group of managers scrambling to take ownership of things that several generations of engineers have left behind.

IMMIGRATION SABOTAGE:
    There is a very concreted effort at this group to do only as much as is necessary to keep you in the country while doing everything possible to seriously limit your opportunities. This is accomplished by delaying your Green Card as much as possible (until the 6th year on H1B) while making promises to do it earlier during a hire (one year after hire I was told). I spoke to others at the group and I was able to confirm that this wasn't an isolated incident- that this was a systematic and widespread practice.

OTHER FUN FACTS:
    When my manager was asked why he hadn't done *any* work in YEARS, his response was verbatim - "you'll understand when you have kids". On another occasion it was "I've just been in so many meetings".

A few weeks after I was hired, I was asked by my manager to forward every single email that comes into my mailbox to his.

I was also asked to prepare daily reports for my work. When I protested, he said he'd do me a favor and make it weekly instead.

Engineers, even senior ones work in noisy cubicle farms, while managers relax in their offices. Its like being in a fish market.

Median employee age of 50.

RECOMMENDATION:
    If you're an engineer, this should be your very last option; its a soul crushing environment.

If you're applying to be a manager, this is great place to work, you'll have a very relaxed environment and can hire as many people as required to train your for your job.

If you think any of this is exaggeration, you just have to get in touch with ex-employees to verify.

9. "It's the Titanic"

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a brand name. Access to cross PSL data is a plus.

Cons

Too many levels of mid and upper management impeding action to stay fresh in an ever changing market. Front line employees are expendable and not recognized for jobs well done. Processes not followed through on, either at the shop, field or office level creating a lack of accountability and loss of customers frustrated with poor service delivery.

Advice to Management

They need less. Listen to those at the field level and act on their market intelligence....or go down with the ship.

10. "Directional Driller"

Former Employee - Directional Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Directional Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Good company, take care of employees

Cons

Still good company, need qualified personal in office

Advice to Management

Stay away from politic