Spherion Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Sandy Mazur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working as a contractor I had no benefits so if I needed to take a day off it was unpaid (in 13 reviews)

• Low pay and more higher paying jobs (in 6 reviews)

1. "Turn your business eye inward"

Pros

The opportunity to identify companies that might provide an opportunity to advance your career with high profile and actively recruiting companies by previewing the professionalism you exhibit in handling their business interest is the strongest reason to work for Spherion. You get the chance to view the soundness and staff development stance of many corporations to determine the most lucrative next step for your own career. Therefore, Spherion acts as a platform to advance to a rewarding occupation.

Cons

Lack of career track definition or opportunity, below market compensation and benefits, inability to identify and promote talent within their own ranks. There are too many dead ends in Spherion, usually starting with your initial entry into the comglomerate. Management seems to be out of touch with the needs of the very professionals they require to be competitive in the industry, often discounting the critical and pivotal contribution and support of those they have banked their success on.

Advice to Management

Recognize the source of their success - their employees - and value them appreciably.

2. "No contact with my employer"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Redmond, WA

Pros

Contract work provides the flexibility to work at other companies.

Cons

As an employee during contract work, there is very little interaction with Spherion…unless they are late with your pay check.

Advice to Management

Contract workers should have more involvement or more contact with the company they for

3. "What in the world is this Board of Directors thinking?"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

Cannot honestly think of one, except possibly if you have no other options

Cons

Backstabbing, cutthroat, unaccountable senior management. Constant, relentless roll-outs of half-baked computer generated "programs" to engender sales proficiency & grow talent, which translate into a significant percentage of resources devoted to "enforcing" and "monitoring" same. Junior level sales people get very little face time with management and rather than accompany them on an occasional sales call and show them how to close business, they, for whatever reason, devote a significant portiion of their "management" resources on reprimanding and chiding.

Advice to Management

I dare you to find and hold a comparable position with a respectable organization. There is a saying that what goes around comes around and I hope that it's true.

4. "I'd recommned you try another staffing firm!"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Issaquah, WA

Pros

They did offer training for a week, but other than that I can't see much positive with this company.

Cons

I felt as if it were a "job shop", didn't matter who was in the seat as long as the seat was kept full. Very little interaction with manangement and no regard for employee satisfaction. Definately felt that I was of little value, no matter how good the job was that I performed if I left I could be replaced easily. No feedback or communication regarding job performance, occasionall "atta boys" if the customer sent one but never generated by managment. No additional training available to allow for career advancement or better job placement. Benefits were good because the position was within a major eastside software company, for other positions posted on their website they were not as good.

Advice to Management

Treat the frontline employees with the respect they deserve. They are the ones that create the "satisfaction" rating you ultimately get from the company you are contracted with.

5. "Personal gains aside this job was a complete wash."

Former Employee - QA Tester in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

I can't think of one...

Cons

The down sides are innumerable. From bad pay, to unpaid holidays, disrespectful and preferential senior management that didn't stand by its strong employees. I can't say ANY background checks were run on ANY of those staffed on the project allowing incompetent employees to remain working all the while berating those who actually worked for "performance" issues.

Advice to Management

The first one left the position for who knows why, hopefully they were asked to leave. The replacement was nice and tried to be personable lacked the ability to retain any of the details of any correspondences. Overall it seemed any personnel information requests or changes however simple they may of been, took exorbitant amounts of time and effort.

6. "Are we going out of business?"

Current Employee - Sale Executive
    Current Employee - Sale Executive

Pros

You can hide in a big corporation to some degree. Sometimes just cruise along without doing much work if you had a good prior month in sales. As a Salesperson you can leave the office anytime you want - and nobody will ask you to "prove" where your going. I have gone Xmas shopping ect. during company hours and nobody knew. Other companies track you too closely or require you take others with you on appointments when you leave the office. Here I call the shots. You can submit some so-so job orders and if they don't beome real then nobody will know or jump on you. Just say that they were already filled by competitor - nobody will question you or the quality of the orders. Spherion tries to micromanage, but its workable, not as bad as other firms I have been with. Salespeople love freedom to "wonder" and have time to themselves.

Cons

New policy and software to learn com along often. Business is real slow. Never seen it this slow in 10 years I have been in the biz. We lay off people from the branch offices now as sales are so poor. So you have to do the work of those that were cut. Scared that Spherion will even stay in business over the next 12 months. Revenue is horrible..

Advice to Management

Stop buying companies like Technisource that end up being not very profitable and not a worthy investment. Realize that somethings you want to aquire are not good, they will drag down the whole company and cause discord over territory. Technisource was a complete waste of money. We could be so far ahead if we never bought them. Turns out they were on the sale block for almost 1 year before e bought them. Nobody wanted them - now I know why.

7. "The company needs mew branch managers"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Miami, FL

Pros

Used to be the medical and dental plan and the 401k. Used to be we could take time off whenever, but now with slowing economy its "al hands on deck" every day.

Cons

Do not match to 401k now, so its better to set up a individual roth IRA, computers here are very old

Advice to Management

you need to visit branch offices and see irst hand if the people running the branches are qualified

"You are depressing your employees"

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

If right out of college you can learn about headhunting and computers

Cons

everyone is constantly watched closely and criticized for any small mistake. even a innocent typo in an email to a peer or an administrator brings wrath upon you. I could see thi happening if the email was going to a member of management, But if its just amoung peers,,,,,,,the constant criticism is a way to keep you in your place. so you feel bad about yourself and will not ask for a raise. so you will lose all individualism and just go along with anything, so you don't think for yourelf. You are treated like a 5 year old-everyone is. But even a 5 year old is treated with a respectful tone - at Spherion its ok to be rude to your coworkers and lie to make someone look bad, The Branch and V.P.'s have no idea how to run the territories. They have no loyalty to those under them, have no motivational skills. If a corporate motivational consultant came into this company and evaluated it he would be totally shocked. He would us it as a case model of how bad a company could be. For example, we are not allowed to NOT take a phone call from a client or temp - I mean if I am in the bathroom down the hall someone is sent in to tell me I have a call waiting - and I am not slow in bathroom breaks. We are required to use our own cell phones for company use, our cell numbers are listed in the company directory, yet we are not reimbursed for any of the expenses. We have an hour for lunch, but it you take more than 1/2 hour you can bet that people will ask you where you have been and why your not motivated to work. Dentist appointments should not be scheduled during working hours (you have any idea how hard it is to find a dentist doing work after hours or on Saturday)?

Advice to Management

Just watch TV shows and see that people in office settings are not treated like children as we are. We are adults and all of us have at least 4 yr college degrees, if not MBA and PHD's. How can you treat us like children, when we are self-motivated and very hard working to begin with? The added dis-respect is so depressing. We ive in nice homes, have upper middle class lives, and are treated with disrespect. See us as people. Not just an expense you dislike.

"Technisource aquisition was like taking poison"

Current Employee - Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Decent benefits, usually an 8 to 5 work week. If you are in a small branch then its slower pace,

Cons

there are too many to list. The merger of Technisource brought us alot of employees that do not fit our culture. They were not used to doing volumn business and obtaining the revenues needed, I guess they had a easier life before they joined us.They are bitter about being taken over. So they are hurting us, almost on strike. That makes us less profitable and we are effected.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Technisource group

10. "No more 401K match?"

Current Employee - Operations Account Manager in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Account Manager in Johnson City, TN

Pros

Not sure how to answer this. We just keep buying other burned out companies, and changing our software so often - I guess I get to lern new software, thats about the only training I got.

Cons

The company is losing money. Everyone knows it and the stock market analyst are all over us like a chep shirt. We will not be profitable for at least 1 year and thats if the economy doesnt get worst. Its not fun working here. Alot of good people have left, or are layed off, I want a company where I can travel to Europe or interesting places and this place has no travel budget. If you make copies on the machine people ask "is it really needed" we are that cheap. Its getting bad.

Advice to Management

Visit each branch. Give employees a chance to review each manager they answer to - then decide if you really want to keep those managers.