Spheris Reviews | Glassdoor

Spheris Reviews

Updated April 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Spheris part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good environment to work, had good colleagues

Cons

not any that i remember

2. "Ship Abandoned"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Spheris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best Workforce
    Great Management Team
    Long Lasting and Reliable Client Base
    Very Good Client-Production Relationship

Cons

Poor LongTerm Vision from Leadership Group
    Lack of Commitment and Dedication from Leadership Group
    Very poor Sales and Customer Relationship Processes and Initiatives
    Very poor employee engagement and growth initiatives

Advice to Management

Prioritize the 2 Critical Clients in Business -- Employees and Clients.

3. "It was my first big step in the world of Work/Employment"

Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Spheris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best and big company in INDIA in Medical Transcription when I joined in 2001. As I was just 19+ it was more like a college for me where I got some Very Good Colleagues, I did quite a lot of changes in my Personal Life through the Decade I spent in Spheris (Healthscribe when I joined).

I have a great RESPECT for the Company which was besides me from when I was a Boy until I was a Man.

Cons

Hmmm, that I forget over time as I do not remember bad things. Anyways, Pros were lot more than Cons except growth....

Advice to Management

Love your employees who are pillars of the company....

4. "Fine"

Pros

Good platforms when I worked there

Cons

Obvious trouble at the top led to feeling of job insecurity

5. "Former Medical Transcriptionist's Review"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

Pros

Being at home. Able to take equipment with you and worked from there if you have broadband or the location has access to internet.

Cons

Not supportive of medical transcriptionists. Unrealistic expectations. Not being honest that the Speech Recognition does not work well with English as second language dictators, it takes a lot more time deleting the incorrect sentences and retyping than it does transcribing in the first place. It gives them an excuse to pay medical transcriptionists less than 1/2 of what was paid for transcribing reports. The sound quality is poor on some accounts, but still the transcriptionists are held responsible for words that are missed because the words were inaudible. Benefits and pay went down as more is expected of the medical transcriptionists.

Advice to Management

Fair pay and treatment of medical transcriptionists especially with speech recognition. Medical transcriptionists should not be paid or treated as unskilled laborers and being threatened with termination because of mistakes caused by poor sound quality or dictators who are impossible to understand. There should be a second phase to get a quality report without the transcriptionists being penalized because of poor dictation or have never typed a certain type of procedure before, no samples or help to go by. We are working from home with no idea of what the correct dosage or lab results when dictators chose not to enunciate. Since medical transcriptionists are paid per line, to ask other transcriptionists who are trying to make their line count to stop and listen is ridiculous. It is not a job that just any one can do. It took a lot of years of experience, skills, and continuing education to be able to transcribe.

6. "Very flexible with work timings etc"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Very flexible with work timings etc
    Pay is not too bad.

Cons

Not too much growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Offer better career advancement opportunities.

7. "Spheris Medical Transcriptionist"

Pros

They are a fair employer and do have consistent work

Cons

I do not have any at this time. I had a half decent experience there as I have heard others have also.

Advice to Management

None

8. "good luck"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist

Pros

Some flexibility; working from home; company-provided work equipment.

Cons

The pay, the benefits (although some benefits are better than nothing, the deductibles are ridiculously high), out-of-work situations, "PTO" includes any holidays, sick pay, vacations, etc.

Advice to Management

A better focus needs to be made on those who really make the money for Spheris...the transcriptionists and editors. Especially the speech rec. editors, who saw their pay get cut substantially for software that gives nothing but heartache and grief.

"Good and Bad, But Don't Expect to be Recognized for a Job Well Done"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

Pros

Bennies are good. Work-from-home flexibility. Can choose what hours to work, and can change those whenever necessary.

Cons

Pay increases are unheard of. Been here for 10+ years and I'm making less now than I did when I started. No paid holidays; we have to use our accrued PTO (paid time off) hours if we want to get paid for taking a day off, even if it's a national holiday. No bennies for PT workers. No company match for 401K (they took that away recently due to the economy).

Advice to Management

It's all about numbers with management. They push the "give yourself a raise by working harder/longer" mantra instead of increasing our line-rate pay every now and then for a job well done. It would sure help morale. Doesn't matter if we're working on a terrible account with horrendous ESL dictators and every job is an uphill battle, we're expected to pound out as many lines as the cherry-pickers with easy EFL docs.

The QA staff is uninformed. I've been dinged for "errors" that are clearly standard protocol according to the AAMT guide.

My supervisor has no idea what goes on with our account and isn't familiar with the doctors or the account specifics - many times she'll send out an e-mail to the transcriptionists asking very basic questions about what the procedure is for the account -- she has no idea. (But she's good at crunching numbers.) I wonder if she even has a medical transcriptionist background.

10. "Work at home?"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

Pros

Opportunity to work from home. Ability to be paid for production. Can travel and also be at work.

Cons

Benefits and paid time off are not offered to part time employees. At times ,there is not work to be done, and as we are paid for production, our time is not compensated, Need to sit and wait at the computer, feels like a waste of time. As I am at home, it is difficult to have any relationship with others in the workplace. I think that others may have a better ability to collaborate online than i do.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the company would reinstate the pto policy for part time employees.