Spiceworks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Jay Hallberg
Jay Hallberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc" (in 15 reviews)

• "Allows for good work/life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains as the company looks to move forward" (in 11 reviews)

• "To Spiceworks' credit, they have let go some employees who were repeatedly reported for their behavior" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Loving it so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m fairly new so this review is based on my experience so far, but I’m loving Spiceworks! The people are so, so nice and helpful. The perks and benefits are great as well! I’ve had good and really bad jobs in my career and I can tell you that I’m very happy to have joined the SW team. I don’t dread going into the office everyday and feel at peace for the first time in years! Thumbs up so far!

Cons

Its pretty structured, but I personally love structure and process. If you’re used to lots of WFH days, may be a change. WFH may vary from department to department. Again, I don’t think this is really a con because it’s still very flexible and the work life balance is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"No clear company direction or focus"

I worked at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

- Solid coworkers
    - Solid benefits

Cons

- It is hard to get things done when the CEO wants to micro manage every aspect of the business.
    - Lack of employee investment by the company, and career development here is non-existent
    - Without clear direction or focus on updating product technology, the company continues to fail users and customers while ultimately missing target sales numbers.

Advice to Management

The company has fallen off the 'best places to work' lists and employees are leaving in droves yet it seems leadership is not interested in improving sentiment....or maybe just not equipped to drive meaningful change?

Oct 16, 2018 – CEO & Co-founder

I'm disappointed to hear that but thanks for the feedback. Without knowing which team you were on it's hard to address each point specifically. I'm not sure what micromanagement you are referring... More

3. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spiceworks pays its salespeople by performance. Work hard, achieve a high level of success, and you’ll be paid pretty handsomely for it.

Cons

It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years. The right infrastructure is not always in place to help you get you work done efficiently/effectively - often times, you have to create it yourself.

Oct 16, 2018 – CEO & Co-founder

Thanks for the feedback. As a company that achieved global scale and revenue that very few Austin-based companies achieve we absolutely had (and still have) a LOT of growing pains. That's why we... More

4. "One of the best companies to work for in Austin , by far"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries
    Great people
    Progressive in the market place
    Fun environment
    Awesome open door policy

Cons

Can't think of any currently.

Oct 16, 2018 – CEO & Co-founder

Great to see you're enjoying it! Thanks for being here and for sharing your feedback. As we say, "we don't have ESP" so please take advantage of the "open door" to share anything we should be... More

5. "Email Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Email Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

The culture's a lot of fun, great coworkers.

Cons

Can't work remote, salary is pretty low for Austin Tech.

6. "Anonymous"

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, snacks, paid maternity/paternity leave

Cons

Broken communication, no feedback provided, it's primarily a sales org and everything is about getting the dollars

"Utter Chaos"

I worked at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

I met some great people

Cons

Sinking ship environment where everything is manic / chaotic / not well planned

"Good overall"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - Willing to help. Nice. Hard working. Welcoming
    Flexible Work Schedule - Start & End Times
    WFH - As long as you don’t abuse it. Remote work for some positions.
    Food - Snacks, Beer Fridge Friday’s, Breakfast 2x/week, Catered Lunch from time to time
    Did I mention the people?

Cons

- Vision, Mission, Charter and lack of communication of
    - Spiceworks attempts to do too many things
    - Lack of process & formalized products in certain areas
    - Unsure if there is training for Mgmt on how to be effective leaders, if not there should be. Even quality people need support & coaching on becoming great leaders.
    - I didn’t see any employee development but did see some departments get to explore new tech. Don’t think that equates to the same thing though
    - Personal growth is hit or miss.
    - EMEA and other remote reps are poorly supported
    - Lacking cross departmental communication

Advice to Management

Doing fewer things better is key. I believe Spiceworks was disruptive early on which lead to the creation of their great community. I feel it veered away a bit. Your distinguishing asset is Your IT Pro community.

To quote Richard Branson,
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.

Lastly I believe you are beginning to address some of the cons I listed. But I will underscore that it’s important that everyone has a role & understands their role at Spiceworks and what they are contributing to. Give your employees purpose. Provide them the proper support.

"laid back place to work, some very jr folks"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, people are mostly eager to get things done

Cons

As with many places, a lot o attempts to make sure nobody gets offended or feelings hurt sometimes gets in the way of just getting work done. Also some people are very junior and inexperienced and stress every time any project go smoothly.

Advice to Management

Be a little tougher on people, help them grow faster.

"Keeping it Spicy"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks is a fantastic place to work. It gave me the opportunity make my first 6 figure earnings of my career. It has a great work/life balance, sales management is very understanding of the needs of parents. I've met some of my closest friends in Austin at Spiceworks. Spiceworks, although not perfect, truly strives to maintain the culture it started with and that starts with hiring great people to be around. Even though I'm no longer with the team, I still feel like family and rooting for their success.

Cons

From a sales perspective, it can be tough at times. Especially if you rely on a core group of accounts to get you to goal and they don't meet the expected spend. It turns into an uphill battle from there. The products have some room for revamping.

Advice to Management

Keep working to stay ahead of the curve from a product standpoint. Sales leaders, although reps jobs are to hit goal, find time to occasionally put your finger on the pulse of the team to see how they're doing and feeling. It's a great way to stay in tune with the team and avoid the cancerous employees that spread negativity on the floor.