Spiceworks Reviews

Updated May 15, 2020

3.7
Spiceworks President Steve Horowitz (no image)
Steve Horowitz
Pros
  • "When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc(in 15 reviews)

• "Casual dress code, approachable team members, free food(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years(in 12 reviews)

• "Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Tech"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Great people and tech and Infra

Cons

Move to India was a death sentence

Spiceworks2020-05-15
  2. "Good Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company, great pay, and fun place to work.

Cons

Slow to develop product and scale

Spiceworks2020-01-21

"Great people, bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good work/life balance - Smart, talented workers - Opportunities to make projects fun and creative - Support and trust from middle management

Cons

- Confused overall business strategy to the point where even executives can't tell you what exactly the company really does or how it makes money - Frequent mass layoffs - Highly political - Roles actively being exported to India - Dishonest positioning about state of company upon hire

Spiceworks2019-10-04
  4. "Great place!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are amazing to work with.

Cons

Lots of change happening, that is taking away from the work.

Spiceworks2019-09-17

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Spiceworks

Pros

The people. That's about it.

Cons

Everything else. Well I guess you can consider snacks a pro but they are seriously lacking there too.

Spiceworks2019-08-16

"Alright"

Former Employee - Brand Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and okay culture

Cons

There is no clear company direction

Spiceworks2019-08-03

"Used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good people -Products that help I.T. pros do their job. -Decent benefits.

Cons

-Lack of direction. -Applications that customers depend on are becoming neglected and outdated. -Bleeding employees. A whole lot of turnover in development. The engineering department is a shadow of its former self. -Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin. Now opening an engineering office in India. -Terrible commute on 360 -Below average pay

Spiceworks2019-01-03

Spiceworks Response

March 13, 2019CEO & Co-founder

Agree with you on the great people & helping IT pros do their jobs -- which is to keep millions of organizations worldwide up-and-running and moving forward with new technology every day. However, I'd like to address your concerns re: direction and turnover. For over 6 months in our bi-weekly company town halls, at Spiceworld, and in the community we've discussed our direction, vision and 3 pillar strategy on building connections in the IT marketplace. It is true that direction is increasingly less dependent on on-premise applications which is consistent with how the IT world has evolved over the past 13 years we've been around. With regards to turnover, the facts are that 3 years ago we had a much bigger engineering dept. Unfortunately many of the projects folks were working on weren't used by many people and weren't tied to our business model. We also had to evolve and change many of the skills we had on the team. I'm very proud of the scale and impact of what the team is now accomplishing. We are hiring engineers in Austin and in fact just recently announced a new head of engineering (former employee who returned to be part of what we're building). The India Development Center is an exciting addition to the company to help us tap a global talent pool - and to think and build products globally which is in line with the fact that we serve the global IT marketplace. And I agree - traffic in Austin is getting worse. I'm glad TxDoT has a good plan to evolve 360.

"Culture shines through as company evolves"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The recent unveiling of the three year plan and the vision for the company in the future is compelling. Spiceworks adds value for IT Pros and the Vendors they connect with. This enables their businesses to move forward on their goals.

Cons

Some growing pains as the company transitions and aligns with the new vision.

Spiceworks2018-11-06

"No clear company direction or focus"

1.0

I worked at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

- Solid coworkers - Solid benefits

Cons

- It is hard to get things done when the CEO wants to micro manage every aspect of the business. - Lack of employee investment by the company, and career development here is non-existent - Without clear direction or focus on updating product technology, the company continues to fail users and customers while ultimately missing target sales numbers.

Spiceworks2018-10-09

Spiceworks Response

October 16, 2018CEO & Co-founder

I'm disappointed to hear that but thanks for the feedback. Without knowing which team you were on it's hard to address each point specifically. I'm not sure what micromanagement you are referring to -- over the past year we have empowered our revenue and product teams through their operations meetings which I haven't attended for months. It's exciting to see both of those teams grow. We've acknowledged we were historically weak re employee development and the new and expanded HR team has invested a lot of time there. We've delivered Agile training to engineering and we've invested in management training across the Revenue team. We've spent several company meetings articulating our strategy and we recently shared that with the world -- at Spiceworld. It was very well received by over 2,000 attendees and many, many IT pros stopped me in the halls and at the party telling me how they couldn't do their jobs without Spiceworks. This happened with many other Spiceworkers. That coupled with our helping millions of IT pros globally every month makes it difficult for me to see how we are "failing" users and customers. We've invested a lot of time and effort over the past couple of years in transforming the company including bringing in leaders who have driven meaningful change in many organizations. I'm fully confident we'll continue to do so and get Spiceworks back on the best places to work lists.

"Loving it so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’m fairly new so this review is based on my experience so far, but I’m loving Spiceworks! The people are so, so nice and helpful. The perks and benefits are great as well! I’ve had good and really bad jobs in my career and I can tell you that I’m very happy to have joined the SW team. I don’t dread going into the office everyday and feel at peace for the first time in years! Thumbs up so far!

Cons

Its pretty structured, but I personally love structure and process. If you’re used to lots of WFH days, may be a change. WFH may vary from department to department. Again, I don’t think this is really a con because it’s still very flexible and the work life balance is fantastic.

Spiceworks2018-06-16