Spiceworks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Jay Hallberg
Jay Hallberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc (in 14 reviews)

• It has a great work/life balance, sales management is very understanding of the needs of parents (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains as the company looks to move forward (in 10 reviews)

• 401K matching would be nice, although you do get stock options (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Future Is Bright"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spiceworks is amazing. They're well-led by a team with fantastic vision and humility. Leaving was tough to do! Across all levels of the experience-spectrum, this is a company you want to work for if you're seeking growth, family and an unrivaled platform & offering.

Great perks include:
    - flexible PTO
    - Maternity/Paternity Benefits (for those with kiddos)
    - 2x weekly breakfast
    - well-stocked snack bar
    - amazing exercise facilities (and even professionally led yoga and boot camp classes FTW!)
    - Open access to leaders who don't view any idea as too small
    - Strength, drive and indescribable support from the Sales Leadership
    - a collaborative spirit across all departments that fosters an incredibly productive and creative environment
    - Career growth potential across all departments
    - well-stocked beer fridge for company meetings and special events
    - the people... that's what i'll miss the most!

Cons

- 2016 was a tough year, but they've bounced back stronger than ever and are on the verge of making some great waves across the IT space.

Advice to Management

Keep the train moving! Well done in your onboarding of senior-level sales leaders and a fluid approach to the business. things are always changing so keep adapting! Lead with love, passion, creativity and ownership. Finally - keep up the great job you've done of making employees better than they were before coming to Spiceworks!

2. "Keeping it Spicy"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks is a fantastic place to work. It gave me the opportunity make my first 6 figure earnings of my career. It has a great work/life balance, sales management is very understanding of the needs of parents. I've met some of my closest friends in Austin at Spiceworks. Spiceworks, although not perfect, truly strives to maintain the culture it started with and that starts with hiring great people to be around. Even though I'm no longer with the team, I still feel like family and rooting for their success.

Cons

From a sales perspective, it can be tough at times. Especially if you rely on a core group of accounts to get you to goal and they don't meet the expected spend. It turns into an uphill battle from there. The products have some room for revamping.

Advice to Management

Keep working to stay ahead of the curve from a product standpoint. Sales leaders, although reps jobs are to hit goal, find time to occasionally put your finger on the pulse of the team to see how they're doing and feeling. It's a great way to stay in tune with the team and avoid the cancerous employees that spread negativity on the floor.

"Spiceworks"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place used to be amazing. There are no shortage of good smart people to work with each day.

Cons

The last year and a half has been done with super limited resources that make it hard for you to get your job done and then done well. Teams are constantly under staffed. The company has also changed to a sales org over the last year drastically, losing the relationship with its users which originally made it successful and special.

"Thankful for my time here!"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks moved into a new building about two years ago and it's really nice - very modern and kept clean. There's free snacks, coffee, sparkling water, soda...the snacks even change out from time to time. People there are (generally) friendly and I've really enjoyed working with most of my co-workers. There's a lot of ownership given to you if you show that you're willing and able to take on more. No micromanagement in the team I worked on.

Cons

I think some people who work at this company let their high-ranking position get to their heads. A lot of the more difficult interactions I've had with people were with the senior-level employees. To Spiceworks' credit, they have let go some employees who were repeatedly reported for their behavior.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making Spiceworks a great place to work! My only ask is to continue to keep a pulse on what changes are being made and the timelines associated with those. Sometimes it seems like we're ready to roll out a lot at once when we were really only ready to roll out one thing.

5. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Benefits and People

Cons

Not really any cons but things are always evolving as it's a maturing start up

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing by creating a positive company culture where people want to work!

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart and fun coworkers
    Free snacks and drinks
    Free parking since its not downtown
    Fun team building events (well..not as much lately but there was a time!)
    Its nice and rewarding to see how much the IT pros love Spiceworks and when the clients are happy!
    Room to grow and make lots of $$ (well, if you have the right clients or prospect accounts)
    Good changes and product revamps look good for future
    Creative freedom to structure your day as you please

Cons

Accounts are assigned but also can be moved around a lot so you never know if you will have one taken away or given to you. No real process for account distribution...seems luck or favoritism.
    Culture hasn't been as fun and happy lately but thats something that can be changed with ownership.
    Interactions between departments could benefit from streamlined processes.

Advice to Management

invest in the people you have! Bring back the fun events and team building opportunities. Culture definitely feels lackluster lately but could be helped with a bit of "spice" being brought back.

7. "Positivity and hard work."

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Everybody is extremely cordial and friendly... it's not hard to make friends here.

Cons

Not many negative things to say at the moment.

Advice to Management

keep it up!

8. "Onward & Upward"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spiceworks went through some serious challenges right after I was hired at the company, and that's why you'll see negative reviews from 6 months- 1 year ago. The direction of the company has totally changed. Everyone has a noticeable swagger about them and all things seem to be clicking company wide. Especially in sales. A lot of reps have been let go or left because they probably weren't the best fit for our mission. If you can be strategic, and understand the media landscape, there is a lot of upside for you at Spiceworks. Not to mention 20 days of PTO and an incredible culture.

Cons

Challenges are the clarity around where we're headed from an IPO or Acquisition stand point. Would like to understand how we're going to find new revenue streams to get us there.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity on what you'd like to see happen to Spiceworks when we hit that IPO or acquisition stage here in the next couple years.

9. "A Journey Worth Taking"

Former Employee - Email Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Email Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely one of the better employment experiences of my career. Everyone from junior to senior took pride and responsibility in their work. Exceptional culture and values permeates the organization with a continued sense of working towards common goals. Meaningful shared visions and not your everyday corporate dribble.

Cons

Management was, at times, too quick to promote those who may not have been experienced enough. In addition, workforce is young and sometimes lacks clear direction.

Advice to Management

Stay true to being accessible and transparent but also work on bridging teams together. Company's overreaching vision and goals were continually communicated but the day-to-day, nuts in bolts, on when, how and what we needed to specifically do to get there was a consistent failure.

"Like a cult (right down to "drinking the orange KoolAid")"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very talented, enthusiastic, likeable people within the organization who are doing the best that they can under challenging conditions.

Cons

It has been no great secret that Spiceworks have wanted to IPO and be a $1billion "unicorn" from day one.

They have wrapped this quest up in warm and fuzzy behavior, a dinosaur, "holidays" for IT people, SWAG a plenty, a couple of big annual parties, and thousands of gallons of orange KoolAid.

In 2016 the mask slipped, as a whole heap of employees were let go in an apparently random restructure.

This was not the cult that you thought you'd signed up for.

The quest for revenue became all consuming, as unicorns were slain across Silicon Valley and beyond.

The word was out - a lot of these companies are growing hugely, but making no money... that IPO started to look shakey, and staff churn escalated.

Once upon a time, Spiceworks was not just a fun place to work, but challenging, exciting, and engaging.

As 2016 rolled into 2017 it became apparent that this was just another ad revenue based media business, no different from techtarget, or IDG - this place sold 3rd party leads to gullible and greedy IT companies, who are desperate to maintain revenue in a challenging economy.

If you're considering joining Spiceworks, look long and hard, talk to former employees, talk to customers, and users - this is not the fun and funky startup it claims to be.

You may hear that they have a recruiting policy of "not hiring undesirables*", which may be because they have enough running the business already.

*management use a profanity here which glassdoor will not allow.