KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Reviews

Updated Dec 29, 2021

Found 161 of over 185 reviews

3.9
Spiceworks Ziff Davis President Steve Horowitz (no image)
Steve Horowitz
Pros
  • "I've worked at Spiceworks for 5 years and have experienced a lot through its many chapters(in 38 reviews)

• "Job stability, great HR, Work life balance(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Spiceworks - Ziff Davis is an organization beleaguered by politics(in 20 reviews)

• "It has been no great secret that Spiceworks have wanted to IPO and be a(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Dec 21, 2021 - Graphic Designer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Support team, reasonable deadlines, good people

Cons

Limited room for career growth

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great People - Change Is The Only Constant

Dec 29, 2021 - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall I would recommend working here if you are able to find the right role for you. No company is ever 100% perfect, but SWZD does have quite a few pros worth noting: - Unlimited PTO that you are actively encouraged to use. - Gift cards and quarterly bonuses for revenue teams. - Supportive middle-management that encourages and supports you and is always there to listen and help in whatever way they can. - Awesome delivery teams and a great team to work with overall. - Internal job opportunities across all J2 companies. - Udemy subscription for learning additional skills outside of your regular responsibilities. - Flexible hours and permanent work-from-anywhere.

Cons

- High pressure from the sales team. As they receive higher quotas they put more pressure on the client success team, which then puts more pressure on the delivery team who then are not given enough time to deliver quality campaigns. - High turnover from delivery teams across the last year after a lot of them hit their breaking point. - Constant change. This could be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it, but for me, it caused a significant amount of stress. Every time I began to feel comfortable accounts would be reassigned or there would be new process changes. - There were a lot of growing pains across the last year with the acquisition of Aberdeen, new CRO, new products, etc. Things seem to be leveling out a little bit, but keep this in mind if you choose this company as the next step of your career.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Nothing like it used to be

Dec 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent perks, good co-workers, flexible work-life balance.

Cons

Senior leadership tends to say things without thinking and invests heavily in the bottom line. The company really feels like it's lost its soul and the passion it use to have for improving the lives of its customers. Many jobs are moving to India without transparency about this change. To make anything happen, you need to be able to play the politics game.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

Flailing

Dec 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work setup and times

Cons

Leadership seems to want to focus more on woke virtue signaling than just being great at the business. A lot of management seem to have no clue what they're doing. People are leaving in droves, the turnover is quite astounding.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not on top of their game

Sep 22, 2021 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good brand recognition and credibility

Cons

low morale and high turnover

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company to start at

Aug 31, 2021 - IT Support Technician in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work-life boundaries - Good communication with higher-ups - Decent benefits - Fully to partially remote depending on role

Cons

- Needs clearer standardization of job functions

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Politics, poor pay, and unhappy customers make this a bad place to work at

Sep 20, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brand is strong. Some decent people working there. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Spiceworks - Ziff Davis is an organization beleaguered by politics. Senior leadership is more concerned with profit and loss and looking good to their bosses than anything else. You will get no help, and your pay will be cut. In sales? Quota will increase routinely and arbitrarily. Don't believe me? Check the LinkedIn profile - they are slowly outsourcing sales to India. The market is so hot for customer-facing roles, don't waste your time working here.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

If You Think This Is a Bad Company to Work For - You've Never Worked For A Bad Company Before

Jul 8, 2021 - Delivery Team in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has been a breath of fresh air to work for since day 1. I say that with the perspective of someone who has worked in the digital marketing industry for over a decade in various roles and industries and have seen my fair share of challenges across the board. I've been through acquisitions, bad management/leadership, the worst morale imaginable, and other things that I've seen challenges with at SWZD over the past year or two internally, a lot of them being expressed in these reviews as cons. It is only due to the many years of prior experience in this field that has given me some very comforting perspective on these matters and I mean it when I say that these things have not once been a stressor for me in my daily work life here at SWZD. While not every company I worked to prior to this was either great or the worst, I saw a pattern of repeated mistakes across all of them that I haven't really seen at SWZD. Whether it was a lack of talent being hired, underpaying, high turnover, bad leadership, or other related mistakes, it always led to the same miserable feeling of my job feeling like a real drag and dreading over 40 hours of every single week. SWZD has had a fair share of changes since my time here and is still evolving. Personally, I think they've handled these changes very well all things considered - But most of all, I have always felt like a valued person here and have never once felt that leadership valued profits over my safety or personal priorities. This was especially evident during the worst of the pandemic and some really chaotic weather events early this year where I was most definitely struggling on a personal level and this was affecting my work mindset a lot. What brought me a lot of comfort during that time was knowing and being assured through regular communications with leadership and my team - that I wasn't alone and that I had support from my colleagues and company during a very challenging time for everyone. Leadership consistently continues to impress me and earn my trust through their honest and transparent communications to employees and that's something I've certainly never felt before in terms of leadership. I hope to work here for a long time to come and am absolutely grateful to have the opportunity to reach my career goals and work with some of the best people I've ever worked with or known.

Cons

Currently, the only thing I think could use improving overall is our hiring timeline as it seems to be pretty long. This was an issue that existed prior to acquisition as it took over 3 months for me to receive an offer from the time of my first interview. I've seen it take a similar amount of time (or even longer) to hire anyone once a role is published.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company Values for Decent Pay

Feb 17, 2021 - Devops Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent working pace mistakes are learned from and accepted fun culture progressive company values (Juneteenth & Election day holidays) unlimited PTO employee stock program 401K always considered employee health & safety first during coronavirus fully remote is okay

Cons

loose on structure, planning, acceptance criteria pay is at or just below (recruiters offering a bit more almost every time) no clear path to internal growth or promotion (like criteria for engineering tiers or career paths)

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Response

Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your input. It is good to hear that you agree with what is being done for our employees regarding benefits, time off, and the working environment. We realize the importance of having a career path for every employee and are diligently working to put that in place. We value our employees and their impact on the company. We have a compensation philosophy that we follow and are working towards making sure each employee is paid appropriately. Please feel free to set up a time with HR to discuss any of your concerns. We want to hear from you.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Gig

Feb 8, 2021 - Account Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid product suite, good management and team.

Cons

Took some time to get acclimated with the merger.

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Response

Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members and our unique work perks. We care very deeply for our employees and love to hear successful stories about teams collaborating and becoming one team. We are growing quickly which we value your feedback. Your input informs what we do next so that we can cultivate our workplace for everyone’s success.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 161 Reviews

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Reviews FAQs

75% of Spiceworks Ziff Davis employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Spiceworks Ziff Davis 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Spiceworks Ziff Davis to be management, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation.

Popular Careers with Spiceworks Ziff Davis Job Seekers