Spiceworks "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Spiceworks Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Nov 6, 2018

3.6
Spiceworks CEO Jay Hallberg
Jay Hallberg
Pros
  • "When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc(in 15 reviews)

• "Casual dress code, approachable team members, free food(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years(in 12 reviews)

• "Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Culture shines through as company evolves"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The recent unveiling of the three year plan and the vision for the company in the future is compelling. Spiceworks adds value for IT Pros and the Vendors they connect with. This enables their businesses to move forward on their goals.

Cons

Some growing pains as the company transitions and aligns with the new vision.

Advice to Management

Get after the new vision and help transform the IT industry

Spiceworks2018-11-06
  2. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spiceworks pays its salespeople by performance. Work hard, achieve a high level of success, and you’ll be paid pretty handsomely for it.

Cons

It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years. The right infrastructure is not always in place to help you get you work done efficiently/effectively - often times, you have to create it yourself.

Spiceworks2018-06-11

"Good company, experiencing growing pains."

I worked at Spiceworks

Pros

Lots of awesome people to work with. Very flexible, they want you to learn and are willing to put you where you want to work.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains going on, and the recent layoffs are a symptom of that.

Spiceworks2016-09-07

"Great culture, growing pains"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a company that takes culture very seriously. Everyone who works here is vetted very thoroughly to ensure that they're a good fit for the culture. This leads having coworkers that are super talented and pleasant to work with. Executive team is very open, honest, and available for everyone. Management truly understands and cares about everyone's career goals, and will do everything in their power to make... sure you're getting the experiences you need to achieve your goals.

Cons

There are a lot of growing pains that come from immense growth and lack of processes. You must be proactive and be willing to tough it out frequently due to ever-changing processes and people's roles. This can be very stressful and tiresome. Compensation and benefits could improve: better pay and more vacation time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing: open-door policy, transparency, and being available for everyone. Hold team managers more accountable to being better leaders to keep the company culture strong.

Spiceworks2016-05-02

"Spoiled with great perks and great co-workers"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

I'm surrounded every day by brilliant, passionate, creative people who genuinely love coming to work to make a a great product. Breakfast Taco Mondays, Bagel Fridays, gym, beautiful balcony, beer fridge, free coffee, etc. etc. etc. don't hurt either...

Cons

The company is growing a ton, so though I haven't been here long I can see a bit of growing pains in terms of changing software/programs/systems, and that is amplified because its in the ever-changing IT space.

Advice to Management

Thank you for such an exceptional work environment, I am loving everything thus far.

Spiceworks2015-11-09

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I get to work with some of the smartest, hard-working people I've ever met! Love my team!

Cons

Growing pains pop up occasionally. It's not really possible to know everyone in the company any more. An exciting change but definitely different from the days when you knew everyone even if they weren't in your department.

Advice to Management

We work hard to hire the best - so keep reminding us that we're all in this together. Fight the us vs. them mentality that threatens to pop up now & then.

Spiceworks2015-09-10
  7. "Fast paced, passionate and fun company!"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Spiceworks is a place where employees are encouraged to innovate and grow. The leadership team fosters an environment that is hard-working and fun. Its a company full of passionate people who own their successes and failures. Learning and innovating is paramount in everything we do.

Cons

Growing pains - when a company grows as fast as Spiceworks does there are growing pains and changes that happen.

Advice to Management

They've done a great job of preserving the culture as we grow so my advice would be to continue to maintain that. Also provide training to those managers we grow from within.

Spiceworks2014-11-13

"Great first full-time job for new graduate"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of things about this company are great, but the best thing is the people you work with. Everyone I have worked with thus far has been very nice, intelligent and understanding. I love how creative people in different departments are and how you can get to know each other even if you don't work together either from working out together during lunch or just chatting in the kitchen or during the company meeting.... The company is very transparent about it's goals and its progress weekly. You learn a lot about the business in general and how your work fits in with everything else. They are quick to address any rumors or problems within the company. The company culture is very important to many of the employees and they don't tolerate people with bad attitudes. I've seen a couple of people let go because of questionable things they have done or said. The company structure is pretty loose, at least in development. There are teams, but leads do not micromanage work as they would at a corporate company. There are no strict work hours and the dress code is casual. There are some perks people may also like, like free catered lunch every now and then, endless snacks and drinks in the kitchen, and breakfast tacos and bagels on Monday and Friday. There is also a really awesome referral bonus program.

Cons

There are definitely growing pains. I was a bit embarrassed when we had summer interns come in and there were no real desks for them to sit at so we had to make temporary work stations or had them share desk space. The vacation time is less than some other companies around town, but it's pretty standard. The health benefits could be better as well. The pay could be way better. I think a lot of people are... underpaid. If this place wasn't so fun to work at, I would have left already.

Advice to Management

I think there needs to be a bit more structure. Some people in upper management are spread really thin. They should really consider making teams smaller and giving newer (but not extremely new) employees more responsibilities and compensate them for their efforts.

Spiceworks2014-09-20

"Awesome startup experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is pretty awesome here Founders are real people who interact with the rest of us No stagnation Great work-life balance Free snacks and catered breakfast every Monday and Friday

Cons

Growing pains like crazy! We're got hockeystick growth here! Benefits could be better, but it's not a huge deal. It'll get better once we're out of the startup phase. The pace may be too fast for some

Advice to Management

I've got nothing. I love management here.

Spiceworks2014-05-20

"Good place to work if you can handle the fast pace and want to have an impact on the product you work on."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible Hours depending on position, Everyone cares about the product and the users giving everyone common goals Fast Paced, but okay to make mistakes

Cons

plenty of growing pains Competitive atmosphere

Spiceworks2014-02-11