Spike TV Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Kay

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Spike TV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly and relaxed people and environment. Some great telecommuting benefits.

Cons

Not in the main Viacom building, so we don't have easy access to all the benefits they offer.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't forget what it was like when you were a coordinator level.

"Viacom Production"

Former Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production in New York, NY

Pros

Company offers good perks, such a PTO, good benefits, 401K etc, continuing education
    Great company to start your career in TV, as there are a lot of opportunities for learning and growth.

Cons

Employees are over-worked and under paid for the roles they are required to perform. However, this only seems to affect some departments, as many of the other departments I have worked with are able to keep a work-life balance.

"Pig-Headed Boys Club"

Former Employee - Digital Media Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Media Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some smart people.

Cons

Pig-headed executives (especially in digital media) with no creative vision who lead a boy's club, patting each other on the back for bad work. Not a creative mind in the place and the outright misogyny was insufferable.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get some actual talent.

5. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spike TV (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment and decorum in the office is "laid back" and relaxed, yet everyone seems to still development and create along with complete the important duties and tasks that keep this large operation surviving and thriving. This is a creative and brand marketing sector of the company I work for and specifically that department for Spike TV which offers a unique dynamic that is special to this particular field and that is diversity coupled with creativity.

Cons

The job requirements for an executive assistant in this area of creative and brand marketing can be much more challenging than it happens to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

"Loved my Department ..."

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in Programming research at Spike TV. Senior Management are smart, looked out for my career development and encouraged me to think creatively. I was promoted often and always got credit for my work. Research was regarded very highly and I felt a good sense of accomplishment almost everyday.

Cons

Other departments would sometimes take research and interpret at their own discretion; creating some confusion. My coworkers in other departments seemed to have more issues with their managers in terms of lack of promotion/opportunity for growth. That sometimes created a negative environment.

Advice to Management

Spike Management - look to Research management if you want a great example of how to keep your employees happy and productive.

7. "Fun, very down to earth people made this job a GREAT introduction to the industry"

Former Intern - Original Programming and Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Original Programming and Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Spike TV as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People, projects, atmosphere (MTV building in Santa Monica, shares floor with Comedy Central), I've had an experience where I got to meet some comedians on a pilot set who all told me how great my bosses were at Spike. I only realized after I finished my internship how true these words were. Dustin Davis in particular, who is now at ABC, guided me through my neophyte phase of the TV industry.

Cons

As an intern, pay isn't the greatest. As in, not paid at all... Regardless, it's a priceless experience to work at a company like Spike to see how a network caters to a certain audience.

Advice to Management

Stay smart about who you hire. Hire me full time and this job would be one of the best one could obtain.

"Understaffed and employees are overworked and underpaid. Upper management does not care or fails to recognize"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Co-workers and projects, benefits are great. It has the potential to create a good product and the branding is strong but there is a lot of competition though.

Cons

The hours, compensation, no support from above, and upper level out of touch with what is going on on the lower level. There is no support for growth. Many do not give positive feedback, recognition, and just focus on expectations.

Advice to Management

Some upper level restructuring is needed. There needs to be some new faces to recharge the environment.

9. "Personal identity at Spike is your key to success"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

we are able to work at our own pace...there is never anyone breathing down you neck about stuff. You know what needs to get done you do it and things work...its as simple as that.

Cons

There are so many people working here that it is kinda easy to get lost...you must maintain your own personal sense of self in order to rise to the top!

Advice to Management

Better comunication

"Laid Back"

I have been working at Spike TV (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, some fun content to work with.

Cons

Some of the content can be boring and the push for excellence isn't necessarily there.

Advice to Management

Give positive feedback when appropriate to encourage employees to keep striving for more.

11. "A lot going on, but learn a lot very fast. Very friendly office."

Pros

Interesting company, great people, tons of opportunity

Cons

Communication issues, a lot going on at once