Spike TV Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Kay
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Spike TV full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly and relaxed people and environment. Some great telecommuting benefits.

Cons

Not in the main Viacom building, so we don't have easy access to all the benefits they offer.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't forget what it was like when you were a coordinator level.

Spike TV2016-10-19
  2. "Stuck in an uninspired corporate stranglehold"

I worked at Spike TV full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good pay for my position, laid back hours and work load. Coworkers are easy to get along with, downtown location is great.

Cons

Absolutely no creativity, new ideas or forward thinking projects. Directors don't concern themselves with the happiness of their staff. No guidance when it comes to presenting new or different ideas. Promotions seem given to people who are good at making their work seem important instead of actually doing good work. I've heard gossip with regards to gender issues and abusive work relationships with some upper...

Advice to Management

Clean house and don't promote people who fake it to make it. Get someone senior in there who has a serious history of forward thinking ideas and building something people like to talk about.

Spike TV2017-12-08
  3. "Ups and Downs - Great Team"

I have been working at Spike TV full-time

Pros

Great people on my team Projects and roles are always changing Good opportunities to to expand experiences

Cons

Low pay Some competition between departments Workflow between departments could be better

Spike TV2017-10-18
  4. "Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn establish your professional skill set at a big network like MTV / Viacom Network. If you're in the right department you can work on and experience big shows and tent pole events. if you put yourself out there and go for it, you can take advantage of what Viacom has to offer

Cons

Corporate structure, a lot of red tape and they are not moving fast or adapting to digital and social trends.

Spike TV2017-07-27

"Viacom Production"

Former Employee - Production in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV

Pros

Company offers good perks, such a PTO, good benefits, 401K etc, continuing education Great company to start your career in TV, as there are a lot of opportunities for learning and growth.

Cons

Employees are over-worked and under paid for the roles they are required to perform. However, this only seems to affect some departments, as many of the other departments I have worked with are able to keep a work-life balance.

Spike TV2016-02-19

"Pig-Headed Boys Club"

Former Employee - Digital Media Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some smart people.

Cons

Pig-headed executives (especially in digital media) with no creative vision who lead a boy's club, patting each other on the back for bad work. Not a creative mind in the place and the outright misogyny was insufferable.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get some actual talent.

Spike TV2016-02-12

"Laid Back"

I have been working at Spike TV (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, some fun content to work with.

Cons

Some of the content can be boring and the push for excellence isn't necessarily there.

Advice to Management

Give positive feedback when appropriate to encourage employees to keep striving for more.

Spike TV2015-11-05
  8. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spike TV (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment and decorum in the office is "laid back" and relaxed, yet everyone seems to still development and create along with complete the important duties and tasks that keep this large operation surviving and thriving. This is a creative and brand marketing sector of the company I work for and specifically that department for Spike TV which offers a unique dynamic that is special to this particular field and that...

Cons

The job requirements for an executive assistant in this area of creative and brand marketing can be much more challenging than it happens to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

Spike TV2015-08-17
  9. "A lot going on, but learn a lot very fast. Very friendly office."

I worked at Spike TV

Pros

Interesting company, great people, tons of opportunity

Cons

Communication issues, a lot going on at once

Spike TV2014-02-10

"Loved my Department ..."

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Spike TV full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked in Programming research at Spike TV. Senior Management are smart, looked out for my career development and encouraged me to think creatively. I was promoted often and always got credit for my work. Research was regarded very highly and I felt a good sense of accomplishment almost everyday.

Cons

Other departments would sometimes take research and interpret at their own discretion; creating some confusion. My coworkers in other departments seemed to have more issues with their managers in terms of lack of promotion/opportunity for growth. That sometimes created a negative environment.

Advice to Management

Spike Management - look to Research management if you want a great example of how to keep your employees happy and productive.

Spike TV2012-10-16