Spil Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Spil Games Reviews

Updated Oct 9, 2019

Found 61 reviews

2.9
Spil Games CEO Timm Geyer (no image)
Timm Geyer
Pros
  • "Het was een geweldige plaats voor een carri(in 8 reviews)

• "Alles is heel goed in dit bedrijf(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "De strategie verandert steeds en het bedrijf lijkt een ware (lange termijn) visie te missen(in 14 reviews)

• "Degenen die rechtuit durven spreken worden vaak ontslagen of aan de kant gehouden(in 9 reviews)

"Out of touch management. Little morale building. Homogenous and non-existent corporate culture."

I worked at Spil Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Work life balance (most would leave at 5pm - and no one works on weekends).

Cons

-Completely idiotic management / clueless about direction -Most VP's are 'robots' and trying too hard to hold onto their jobs

Advice to Management

-They wouldn't listen anyhow, so no point.

Spil Games2014-07-09

"If you have a diploma in ego management, work here"

I worked at Spil Games

Pros

Very laid back, everything is done really slow (this is a pro for foreign people if you want to retire) Great location just outside of Amsterdam Good support for foreigners

Cons

Zero games knowledge. People are not passionate about games Reputation of cloning, building uninspired games, based on "proven concepts". End result is always a compromise. Failing is never ok. Taking risks is never ok. Sitting in meetings 8 hours per day is. Extreme politics are a daily chore. 10,000 people companies don't have this much politics.

Advice to Management

Don't keep people on your management team just because they're too expensive to fire. A good employee is the one that does his job well, not the one that tells you greatest stories

Spil Games2013-03-31
  3. "Snake pit - Don't bother with this company if you value yourself or a career"

I worked at Spil Games full-time

Pros

- International team of talent - Good coffee - Good example of what I do not want from current and future employers

Cons

- CEO is toxic, only knows how to manage by fear. Suffers from superiority complex. - Management team are just hand puppets of CEO. Pretty disgraceful to watch. - Highly politicized authoritarian environment - Employee loyalty is demanded but not shown to the staff in return. - Employees mostly distrusted

Advice to Management

- Back to the drawing board; you had a good thing and screwed it up. Real shame.

Spil Games2019-10-09

"VP Content"

I worked at Spil Games full-time

Pros

Very good collaborative, productive team.

Cons

Not everything that could be is handled transparent.

Spil Games2019-06-18

"Nice place, but very unstable"

Current Employee - Release Manager in Hilversum

I have been working at Spil Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a very fun international environment full of awesome qualified people. Spil's employees make it worth the experience on a daily basis. General benefits are decent and it provides you a good work/life balance.

Cons

Company vision seems very unstable , there's not enough transparency and opportunity to growth is limited to certain business units and roles. Also, internal politics might limit your opportunities, despite of your qualifications and performance.

Advice to Management

Live up to the culture values that were set up for the company. Is no use to have them on paper if the current structure doesn't reflect it.

Spil Games2019-04-29

"Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Hilversum

I have been working at Spil Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom, good working environment, young people

Cons

Instability, inexperienced management, hit or miss strategy

Advice to Management

Use your brands better to make great games.

Spil Games2019-05-01

"Set long term goals."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilversum

I have been working at Spil Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The working environment is great, full of young smart people. The company is open for innovations as long as you're willing to carry them through.

Cons

The company strategy is changing every 3 months and there is no open communication from management to the lower levels, which creates a lot of confusion.

Advice to Management

Hire an official CEO and settle on a long term strategy.

Spil Games2019-04-05

"Better Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilversum

I worked at Spil Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff is very good. Everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful with anything you need.

Cons

Management and organization. No priorities and very tight deadlines to deal with. No scrum, no sprints nor control over task. Management does not push back any request, even if its an absurd or impossible to deliver in the time given. Very little incentive and no recognition of achievements.

Advice to Management

Value a little bit better even minor achievements, and better organization / control of projects and daily tasks.

Spil Games2018-06-22

"Senior QA Engineer"

I worked at Spil Games full-time

Pros

Really intelligent and talented people to work with. Small company and easy to learn a lot.

Cons

Problematic strategic view from management leading in changes all the time.

Spil Games2018-04-25

Spil Games Response

May 17, 2018Spil Games

Hi, Thank you for your feedback, very much appreciated. Happy to hear you have learned a lot while working for us. Kind regards, - Rolph de Ruiter, Director Technology-

"Fun yet unsatisfactory."

I worked at Spil Games full-time

Pros

Lots of young and talented coworkers from all corners of the globe. The lunch option is phenomenal. The yearly company trips are unforgettable experiences. Fruit, coffee, snacks up the wazoo.

Cons

A cliquish environment reigns supreme at Spil. Employees are treated with double standards. Upper management is clueless. Long-standing managers mistreat their employees just so they seem on top of things in the eyes of upper management and don't risk being laid off (which occurs frequently). Promotions and role changes are often based on favoritisms. Salaries are lower than industry average.

Advice to Management

Wipe the slate clean and hire managers who are capable of keeping the motor running smoothly on what is potentially a great company but for the time being is far from it and who know how to keep their employees gratified, satisfied, and motivated.

Spil Games2018-04-12

Spil Games Response

May 23, 2018Spil Games

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. It’s always useful for us to hear what people think. We always try to take comments of this sort on board and improve the way we do things, if we can. In reaction to your feedback in the “Cons” section; I would like to emphasize that we operate a professional HR process designed to ensure there is no unfairness and to give everyone the opportunity to discuss any aspect of their work. We had a significant reorganization back in 2014 but since then there have been very few lay-offs and, as a matter of fact, the workforce has steadily increased from 120 to 180 people. We benchmark all salaries, so we can say for sure that we generally pay at or above industry average. We’re glad you think we’re potentially a great company (we think so too!). Some of the criticism relating to management may reflect the fact that our management structure went through a period of change recently (and we appreciate that can be unsettling). We have established a new leadership team and one of their priorities is to keep staff happy and motivated. If you have the time and inclination, I’d really like to have a more in-depth discussion so we can find ways to improve, and to hear your views of changes we have made since you left. If you think it’s appropriate, please DM me. Kind regards, - Nathalie van Delden, Director Human Resources -

Found 61 reviews