Spindletop Oil & Gas Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Spindletop Oil & Gas Chairman and President Chris G. Mazzini
Chris G. Mazzini

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work, nice people and a wonderful working environment!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Pros:
    At Spindletop, I felt as though I was always busy and there was always something to do. Some jobs you just sit at a desk and wait to be told what to do but Spindletop really challenged monotony in the Administrative Department which is something I really grew to appreciate. Spindletop has a good amount of luncheons and events each month making it a fun and lively environment. The people who work at Spindletop are truly special. I not only appreciated all of the people I worked with in the Administrative Department but also grew to enjoy all of my co-workers . Everyone was very nice and welcoming but they also exuded professionalism and offered a pleasant and safe environment which made working there very satisfying.

Overall, I would say this is a fantastic company to work with and would absolutely recommend accepting a job here. Be prepared to work hard, be challenged and become a part of a wonderful work family.

Cons

Cons:
    The expectation at Spindletop is that everyone works hard so slackers probably won't last long here. If you like having a lot of work and always staying busy, this is the place for you.
    Traffic. Officing out of North Dallas near 635 and Preston almost always meant bad traffic so if you accept a job, prepare alternative routes!

Overall, I would say every company has its things they need to improve upon but Spindletop Oil and Gas is a great place to learn how to grow and become better.

May 21, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We enjoy challenging our employees and helping them grow in their careers. We set high expectations to help them reach their full... More

2. "welder/fitter/maintenance"

Current Employee - Fabricator in Alvarado, TX
    Current Employee - Fabricator in Alvarado, TX

I have been working at Spindletop Oil & Gas (More than 3 years)

Pros

as a contractor building oil rigs in side a shop was great. out of the laminates hot or cold . no rain outs. plus treated with respect by supervisors and employees.

Cons

as a contractor the only down fall to working at Spindle Top was there contracts were always short term. 4 months to maybe 1 year. always had to find something till they call you back.

"The negative reviewers aren't lying"

I worked at Spindletop Oil & Gas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parties. Every other day there was food in the kitchen.
    In general, I liked many of the people I worked with. They were generally pretty friendly, though there were some that practically had a "don't even try" sign on their foreheads.
    I would say there was room for moving up starting as part time. I was practically offered a full time position when I was hired for after I graduated.
    I was given several small, but greatly appreciated bonuses when they were not expected. It's a little confusing how a company can be both generous and stingy all at once. Still, I appreciated it.

Cons

Cliques were rampant and there was always a feeling that you were kind of on the outside looking in if you hadn't been there 10 years or more. In fact, people had either been there 10+ years or less than one. Weird dynamic.
    There are several I would consider total loose canons. Everyone walked on eggshells and babied them because they would treat you like the scum of the earth if you made the smallest of mistakes.
    Expectations were never fully set, so you kind of always felt like you were behind and like your job was on the line each day. It's like they have this giant rule book, but they don't tell you what the rules are.
    It is absolutely absurd for part time employees to have to submit an account of what they do every day, how long it takes them to do it, and who told them to do it. I'm not speaking of a time card, I mean a spreadsheet saying "filed files - 1 hour; got mail at post office - 20min". Everyone I have told of this since working here dropped their jaw and shook their heads. The spreadsheet itself took 15min to do. Insane.
    There is a conflict of interest in HR. It never once felt safe to make a complaint, not that I had many, but more than once I was physically pushed (I am not exaggerating or being dramatic) out of the way by my supervisor. It took everything to convince my spouse not to sue this company as a result. There is NEVER an excuse for laying hands on another employee, especially without permission and in such a manner. To my knowledge, this person still works there.
    I knew at least 2 others (small company, so that's a lot) actively looking for jobs soon after arriving.
    The turnover rate was crazy. I saw many people quit and several people fired. Again, your job never feels secure here.
    The environment was very similar to high school. Lots of petty conflict, A TON of whispers and backstabbing, and (as mentioned) cliques galore. People were hot headed and treated you like you had murdered their child if you made the tiniest mistake.
    I never thought I'd say this, but the parties were even a little bit of a con...you are expected to bring something, or you turn into the mooch. After 4-6 parties a month (not always, but it kind of felt like it) it gets pricey! Also, if you don't go to their major events (even though they tell you they are optional and you have to RSVP) you are practically shunned. I witnessed several people who didn't go to the Christmas party verbally attacked by almost everyone in the office (one person was actually threatening) for not going, despite RSVP-ing "no" well in advance.
    As another reviewer mentioned, there is always more work given than can be done in a day. Not that that is a bad thing, per se, but when you are bullied and treated like a failure for not finishing everything it becomes a huge problem.

I could probably go on, but I think I've made my point.

Advice to Management

Some professionalism would go a long way here. Not that everyone needs to be rigid, but new people are constantly in fear for their jobs and there is no one to talk to. The morale really sucks there and no amount of parties will ever fix that - you must have respect between employees and certainly between the employer/employee.
    It wasn't all bad here, but I feel I must be honest. No one should work here without realizing what they're getting into. Things really need to change.

Apr 30, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We appreciate both the positive and negative feedback, and we want to continue to strive to improve our workplace. We enjoy being able to... More

"Excellent training and great opportunities for eager professionals"

Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Vertical Mobility: Particularly for young professionals and entry-level
    candidates, this is great place to begin your career. In less than two
    years, I was promoted four times. I was hired as an Administrative
    Assistant, then promoted successively to the positions of Accounting
    Assistant, Accounting Clerk, Staff Accountant, and Accounting Supervisor.
    I was welcomed back this summer in the position of Legal Intern and was
    given substantive multi-disciplinary projects.
    *Retention Efforts: While excellent for entry-level professionals,
    management is very interested in retaining high-performers that maintain
    positive attitudes and are eager to grow in the company. If you make
    yourself valuable, the company will exhaust a host of options to retain
    your talent. I recommend being upfront with management about your career
    goals and academic pursuits.
    *Training & Development: From your departmental peers to the company's
    CEO, everyone at Spindletop is a teacher. They are eager to use their
    experience to help you better understand both Spindletop's business and
    the oil and gas industry. Curiosity and interest is treated incredibly
    favorably. Moreover, the nature of the business requires you to work
    across departments and command levels. There are few positions that do
    not regularly interact with senior management, and the Vice President and
    CEO will know who you are from the day you start. It is doubtful that there is
    a better training ground than Spindletop.
    *Benefits & Perks: Benefits are competitive. They include generous
    medical, dental, and vision coverage, free life insurance, a competitive
    paid time off policy, paid holidays for full-time regular employees, and
    401k matching up to 6% of your contributions that vests completely and
    immediately. Additionally, there are performance-based annual bonuses,
    departmental and company-wide lunches, an all-out holiday extravaganza,
    and generally too much food. Some have found their base salary to be less
    than ideal, but coming straight out of college, I felt the pay was very
    fair.

Cons

While not "cons" per se, the following points should be considered when
    considering whether Spindletop is the right place for you:
    *Loyalty to the company's interests is paramount. This is not to say that
    dissenting or minority views in the course of decision-making are
    discouraged; indeed, my experience has been that management greatly values
    countervailing views. Such arguments make it apparent that you're a sharp
    and committed employee exploring a range of options. But when a decision
    has been made or a position announced, it's expected that employees commit
    to those decisions and follow through with the necessary steps to execute
    them.
    *Spindletop is not a place for those that are interested in performing one
    function. It's a small multi-entity company engaged in exploration and
    production, well operations, pipeline management, land acquisition, and it
    manages a vast portfolio of non-operating interests across the country.
    You should be prepared to wear multiple hats, interested in taking on
    additional responsibilities, and very reluctant to adopt a "that's not my
    job" attitude.
    *The demands of the job vary by department and by season. While
    supporting functions like accounting are traditionally 8:30-5:30 gigs,
    there are occasional times during the year that you should be prepared to
    stay late to complete critical projects. Other departments have greater
    demands outside of these traditional office hours, but these departments
    are less rigid about arriving at 8:30 on the dot.

Advice to Management

*The timeline for employee reviews and advancement should be more
    transparent and predictable. While I had regular reviews and was
    fortunate to receive frequent promotions, other employees have suggested
    that they wish they knew more about the process for review and
    advancement. However, the recent addition of an HR Generalist and
    revamping of advancement processes makes me very optimistic that this
    criticism is an area to which management is paying very close attention
    and one in which they are making significant and rapid progress.
    *During my time there, there were a few discouraged employees that had
    been soured by bad experiences. Whether legitimate or not, this can lead
    to a toxic work environment for their otherwise content colleagues and
    unnecessary but tangible management-employee friction. Management
    generally made efforts to accommodate these individuals by relocating them
    to other positions in the company; however, the company should continue to
    take an increasingly active role to provide these individuals with greater
    opportunities, support, and other accommodations to improve their
    experience or, if all reasonable support and development efforts have been
    exhausted, the company should be more deliberate in determining when
    people are ultimately not a good fit.
    *Keep the excessive amounts of food coming.

Sep 15, 2014 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Spindletop. I feel you have accurately described our company and culture. We enjoy teaching, learning, obtaining new ideas, and... More

"Good people, Good place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time

Pros

Spindletop offers great healthcare benefit plan, they also have a fantastic 401K plan. The company has a “family” environment, great group of people to work with they are genuinely kind and caring! As an admin assistant there are many opportunities to work in every department which is great because you get to learn new things every day. My department is laid back; my boss is very understanding and is always considerate when taking time off. The company has a great culture, there's always some kind of celebration each month as company, from birthdays, marriages, baby showers! Great company to work for - they treat you like you are part of the family.

Cons

If you are not a hard worker and/or a self starter you will not working here, your job will be harder.

Sep 15, 2014 – HR Generalist

We take pride in our "family" atmosphere and encourage hard working self-starters to help with our continuous growth. I am pleased to hear you are enjoying your time here and hope we can continue to... More

6. "Engineering Technician"

Pros

Take good care of their employees

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility

Aug 18, 2014 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share a brief but helpful review. I am glad you feel we take good care of our employees and hope you enjoyed your time here. With the implementation of both more... More

"Great career move!"

Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had little previous experience in the Oil & Gas industry, and have found both the financial and operational people here to have a wealth of experience that they gladly share with newbies. I think there will be years of learning and expanding my skills set here. Management works to make the atmosphere fun and inclusive with regular quarterly lunches, costume contests, decorating offices for birthdays, recognizing weddings/babies, etc. The benefits package is extremely generous in this age of shrinking 401(k) matching and increasing health care premiums.

Cons

As in any small company, there is usually more work to go around than can be accomplished in a day, and it is sometimes hard to discern the priorities of management. Regular performance reviews should help with retention of employees as they will feel their questions are being addressed and a path set for future growth in their roles.

Advice to Management

Quarterly or semi-annual updates to the annual strategy meeting might help keep managers in each department focused on issues that were identified at the beginning of the year.

Jul 17, 2014 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We think it is important to show continuous appreciation for our employees through company sponsored events, and a generous benefits package. We are trying to implement... More

"It's a Wonderful Small Company Environment, an Awesome Learning Experience, with Great Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Supervisor (Started As Entry Level Professional) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management at Spindletop wants to promote form within and they are willing to train you and give you a shot even if you have no experience in the industry. It's a great family environment. They have let high performing employees switch to flex time, part-time and telecommuting when possible to keep good employees. Because it is a small office, you get to interact with the President of the company -even if you are a new or entry level employee. Although some of the hardest working employees are supervisors and managers, they are very approachable. Management is passionate about the company and the people who work here. If employees need to bring their kids to the office on occasion, it is not a problem. You will get great experience, good pay and great benefits. Really good small company experience-- you are treated like family.

Cons

You must be flexible and not afraid to take responsibility for your work to flourish here. Pay attention to detail and have a desire to learn and you will be rewarded Slackers need not apply.

Advice to Management

Have supervisors review people frequently so they can know how they are performing. Reviews every three to six months would be helpful.

Mar 3, 2014 – Vice-President, General Counsel, and Director

Thank you for your comments. We are trying to implement more frequent reviews to help employees develop. We are happy to provide our high performing employees with flexibility when needed.

"Outstanding, Best Career Choice I've Made"

Current Employee - Accounting in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Spindletop provides a great opportunity to learn more about the oil and gas industry. The company does a lot of cross-training and will teach someone as much as he/she wants to and is willing to learn. In conjunction with this, Spindletop looks to promote from within whenever possible. The pay and benefits at Spindletop are competitive, and hard work is rewarded. It is a family environment and Management is interested in and listens to suggestions, ideas, and concerns from the staff. Individual departments often celebrate major life events such as marriage, children, etc.

Cons

Individuals who are not self-starters or don't like change aren’t a good fit for Spindletop. It is a team environment and individuals are encouraged to pull their weight equally, even if that means doing things outside their normal job description.

Advice to Management

Try to develop some additional metrics to measure results of individual and department goals, and share these results with the staff more regularly.

Mar 3, 2014 – Vice-President, General Counsel, and Director

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are working on developing metrics for each department and we hope to roll these out in the coming months. Just as we recently did with... More

"Hostile Work Environment - Run if Offered Job Here"

Former Employee - Mid Level in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Mid Level in Dallas, TX

I worked at Spindletop Oil & Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I definitely met some good people while working at SOG and stay in touch with many of them. Fortunately, most of them have been able to get out and move on to better opportunities.

Cons

Where do I start? First, do not leave a current job to come here, you will regret that decision. Even if the salary is more than your current salary, stay where you are! The atmosphere at SOG is very negative, the managers are not allowed to manage their employees as everything comes from the top here. Raises are few and far between and despite what some of these other reviews say, promoting from within is not something SOG typically does. The president is very hostile and has no people skills, good employees have been lost as a result of his hot temper and lack of being able to control his outbursts. The over all morale here is not good, not good at all. Lots of "talk" goes on amongst the employees as it seems most are unhappy and looking for employment elsewhere causing the turn around here to be unbelievable. Take your time finding the right job and stay far away from SOG, trust me this is the best advice I can give.

Advice to Management

Let your managers do their jobs. Keep your employees updated throughout the year on their performance so that they are not blindsided by negative or unfair reviews. Treat your employees with more respect and appreciate a job well done. A little praise would go a long way so stop always focusing on the negative, at least balance the negative out so that your employees don't dread coming into work everyday. Intimidation is not the best approach when you want to keep good people around. Treat everyone equally and stop showing favoritism towards certain employees (trust me it is common talk around the office that this is done on the regular).

Mar 3, 2014 – Vice-President, General Counsel, and Director

From your postings, it apparent that you are upset that things did not work out. It is unfortunate that you were placed in a position that did not fit your skill set. We do wish you well and lots... More