Spire Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Peter Platzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Working here is like a dream!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first joined Spire, I had no idea how incredible this company truly was. With each day that I am here, I am amazed by the tenacity and passion of the people here. The intelligence, the humbleness of the leaders here and the sheer magnitude of what we're doing... it's mind blowing at times.

I mean, it's a SPACE program and I'm not sure you can get any cooler than that. Right?

One of our esteemed team members is actually in isolation right now because she's on the short list for a voyage to MARS. Yes, I said Mars. What?!

In addition to the genuine authenticity of the people who work here, there is nothing more motivating than to work for a company that allows its employees to be involved in decisions and make an impact. There is a true sense of freedom and empowerment and you can feel it in the air.

Other awesome things? Well, where shall I start:

- Gorgeous loft-like office in the SOMA/mission area near all the trendy spots.
    - Generous compensation and benefits, unlimited PTO, all the holidays, flexible and relaxed work environment.
    - All the best tech stacks/toys
    - Did I mention each employee gets to have a satellite launched that you get to name?!!! Yeah, its even in your offer letter.
    - Spire week: You get to spend a whole week each year working out of any of the other global office, all expenses paid. SF, Singapore, Luxembourg or Glasgow aren't half bad places to hang for a week, I'd say :)
    - Gym reimbursement
    - If you're in engineering, your code will literally be in ORBIT.
    - Best on boarding experience of my life. The Talent Team actually cares and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and cared for every step of the way.
    - Culture is strong, the mission isn't just words on a google doc. It's real.
    - Best company I've worked for in my life so far
    - CEO is approachable, thoughtful and humble. He will call you personally when you join the company.
    - Strong leadership without egos, which is highly rare in such a dynamic and fast-scaling company.
    - Free food/drinks/catered lunches/company sponsored fun and events.
    - ZERO politics or toxicity which is also extremely rare. People here are the reason I joined and the reason I'll stay. The best of the best.
    - Am I gushing yet?

Cons

In any quickly growing company there are small pains like a shortage of conference rooms at times or confusion in quick pivots, but that comes with the territory. If things continue at this trajectory, there will be bumps in the road but they seem to be handled quickly and smoothly.

Advice to Management

Keep going, stay humble and don't lose that special "it" factor that we have going right now. The excitement here is infectious and mind-blowing.

"It's a Space Program."

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren’t many (any?) companies that offer a value proposition that’s even close to what you get at Spire.

1. It’s a Space Program. I work on hardware/software that runs in space.
    2. The engineering team is broad and deep. Distributed systems software, embedded, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, RF, digital signal processing, high performance computing, and more.
    3. Expectations on what people will deliver are high. This is good and necessary for the stuff we’re building.
    4. The technical problem space is unique and doesn’t just call for copying+pasting technical solutions from other companies.
    5. The company is still small and everybody on the team is having a big impact on the outcome and technological platform.
    6. There’s a strong social component. I get to work on dramatically improving the world’s ability to understand weather, shipping, aircraft patterns, and more.
    7. Salaries are competitive.
    8. It’s still relatively early, and there’s a big equity upside.
    9. Our SF office is nice and quiet and well suited for doing great work.
    10. Repeating #1: it's a SPACE PROGRAM.

Cons

Engineering team is distributed across several offices. It's always easier when everyone's in the same building. Each office has its own focus area, and it works quite well so it's really a nitpick.

This is not a con for me personally but might be for some people: it is a small and nimble company not a 10000 person organization with lots of processes and support machinery.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing.

"Dreaming big is one thing, but feeding your employees falsehoods is another story..."

I have been working at Spire Global full-time

Pros

Two offices in the United States -- Boulder, CO and San Francisco, CA, both of which are beautiful cities.

Cons

This is a cut-throat environment. At the surface there seems to be a 'family' atmosphere. However, there is internal competition among employees to subvert colleague contributions and innovations. From personal experience, this will lead to in-fighting and thus break the solidarity of the company and likely result in longer term goals failing. Further, the management tends to behave in a very passive aggressive manner (i.e., one-on-one meetings where changes are promised and then somehow immediately 'forgotten' once the meeting is over).

Advice to Management

The management level (e.g., the CEO and CFO) should consider things beyond the respective potential hire's curriculum vitae when making decisions on how successful said 'manager' will be with managing people.

"Best job ever!"

I have been working at Spire Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company seeks out brilliant but caring people, who all make their personal development a high priority. This makes for a great work environment with fantastic coworkers. People truly care about others here, and culture is key.

When it comes to the work, ownership is a must and results are expected. If you don't want to own your work or get things done, this isn't the place for you. Laziness isn't really tolerated, and if you choose to go that route, it will be apparent and you'll be called out for it. Accountability among "friends" goes a long way.

It is up to each employee to set their own boundaries regarding work-life balance. The vacation policy is excellent, but staff can easily find themselves working through their vacations or on nights and weekends if they don't set boundaries, especially since it's a global company. Provides a great chance to develop yourself to make sure you set that work-life balance in such a way that is sustainable.

Cons

Some of the benefits could use some improvements, e.g. company contributions on retirement accounts, but hopefully that will be in works down the road.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to listening to the needs and suggestions of staff. :)
    Keep aiming for a better world, not just a high IPO or high offers to buy the company.

"Cutting edge work, great learning opportunities, solid support"

I have been working at Spire Global full-time

Pros

I have high job satisfaction owing to the type of work and support at Spire.

1. I get to work on absolutely cutting edge issues.

2. I'm learning a ton in an industry that is likely to grow in importance over the coming decades.

3. I have a huge amount of support from the organization to get my job done.

4. I'm stretched intellectually.

Cons

Being stretched intellectually can be difficult/tiring/stressful. A generous vacation/remote work policy helps.

Advice to Management

Keep focused. Don't drive so fast that you trip. It's yours to lose.

"On the wrong path"

I have been working at Spire Global full-time

Pros

Spire has a great team and great technology. The people I work with day to day are fun, caring, and really want the company to succeed. We're putting stuff in space which is awesome.

Cons

Leadership team doesn't seem to have a strategy and isn't open to critique. They promote a 'put your head down and do as I say' culture. They're ignoring key business facts and need to get their heads out of the sand if the company is going to succeed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They aren't stupid and they really want this business to succeed. Let them help you.

"A lot of things wrong here - but maybe there is hope?"

I have been working at Spire Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering team they've put together here are some of the BEST in each region. Really smart engineers with passion who will work around the clock for the vision and because the product is admirable.

Most of the people here - MOST - mean well. They are conscious of other people when making decisions or discussion next steps on a project - It's easy to appreciate how thoughtful those people are.

Many of the people here are amazing people in general. Nice - Fun - Energetic team.

No vacation policy - you can also take a trip to any other office paid for by the company which is very cool.

We have a new COO who we hope can turn around some of the things mentioned below - there is hope

Cons

Poor management from the top down. (Coaches) Managers either don't know how to manage people or they are afraid to because they are afraid of repercussions from the top. Managers don't know how to motivate or retain talent.

Coaching doesn't exist here: Having coffee with your manager once a month is what they call coaching. That is not coaching. No career progression scheme, no reviews = no progression. This actually results in the wrong people receiving rewards/recognition/promotion because it's a popularity contest. Some of the hardest working people in the company are quickly becoming unhappy because of this.

If the King and the Queen don't value you - you're worthless. The "top" expects you to work yourself to the ground with little to no recognition or reward unless they like you personally - but if they do - you're golden.

Terrible environment for women. The women in this company don't support each other enough. Many are so focused on proving themselves (because they have to) that they don't have time to support each other which creates a "dog eat dog" environment. The top women in the company ignore lower level talent (which is everyone else since there are only two layers) and it is easy to feel isolated. Public shaming in emails - putting others down publicly etc.

NO COMPENSATION STRUCTURE. Tell them what you want to get paid here and they pay you - which is not a great way to retain the talent you currently have. If there are no reviews for employees - how do employees receive promotions/raises you ask? - It's based on popularity.

Some people work really really hard here and you respect them for it - on the other side - I have no idea what others do daily. Working on "important projects" and frolicking around the office is a common theme for some team members who have little to do.

People with no experience preaching the "gospel" as if they have experience but it's their first time doing this - ever.

Extremely stressful environment - many feel like they could be fired at any moment.

Advice to Management

Come up with a compensation plan for current team members FAST.

Stop rewarding the loudest people in the company and start valuing the people that put in sweat and hours.

Hire managers with a backbone - not "yes" men who are afraid of the "top" even though everyone is afraid of the "top."

Step up your game - all the way.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global (Less than a year)

Pros

I am bullish on this company.

*Ambitious goals and a team that can achieve them.
    *Strong feelings of camaraderie, even across global offices.
    *Freedom and flexibility (if you're getting your stuff done).
    *High-quality hiring bar attracts high-quality people.
    *Ability to make a true impact on the company within your first week.
    *Strong business prospects and revenue pipeline even without delivered product.
    *The CEO is a BOWSE. He truly cares, is openly available, and always delivers.
    *Great career mentorship and advancement opportunities.
    *Well positioned in the market and strong business savvy across leadership and BD team.
    *Fun group of people, and fun company outings (Go-karts, Tahoe, Whiskey Distilleries...).
    *Few real competitors in the space.
    *Spire is defining an industry, not just playing in one.
    *So much to learn and do across multiple disciplines, it's true... "You will never be bored at Spire."

Cons

*Some growing pains across multiple global offices, but this is to be expected, and Spire seems to manage it well.
    *Outgrew the office in Soma, but we are moving soon :).
    *Too few cons for me to leave a meaningful list of cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Spire Review"

Pros

Great culture and great benefits

Cons

Too few opportunities for mentoring

"You can be part of an industry... or at Spire, you can be part of defining one."

I have been working at Spire Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came for the satellites, and I stayed for the company. The culture is one where growth is not only encouraged, it is expected. You will never be bored, and you will never dread Mondays.

Everyone is driven to deliver on the massive goals that we have set, so of course we work hard, but we also enjoy socializing and keeping things exciting. Our outings have included everything from baseball to boardgames to windsurfing and LAN parties.

Cons

Good luck finding another company where every "product" launch is predicated on the successful firing of a rocket on its way to space.