Spire Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Spire Global Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2019

Found 29 reviews

3.9
Spire Global CEO Peter Platzer (no image)
Peter Platzer

"Build your legal skills; build a new industry"

Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joining Spire after practicing in Big Law for most of my career was a big leap. Not only did I transition from outside counsel to in house attorney, I also downsized from megafirm to nano startup. I am glad I took the plunge. Space really is the final frontier (legally speaking). Every day is different and brings new challenges in an industry that is still in its early stages. Some days, we are negotiating a new... type of launch services agreement. Others, helping negotiate an international treaty on radio frequency use or organizing industry efforts around orbital debris (that's space garbage, in case you were wondering). Working closely with brilliant clients on trailblazing technology, Spire's lawyers can directly impact the business on a daily basis. The fact that the company's mission (using space data to mitigate the impact of climate change and doubling global GDP) aligns with my own makes the long(ish) hours worth it.

Cons

See the comment above about brilliant clients. Bring your A-game. Also, as the company is spread across four different continents, it's important to be able to toggle between time zones and work across multiple languages and business cultures.

Spire Global2019-06-03

"Smart people, terrible lack of transparency"

I worked at Spire Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spire has managed to recruit some of the smartest, most passionate people I've ever worked with. A lot of people are motivated by the learning opportunity and unique nature of the industry. You get to work cross-culturally with engineers and scientists from all over the world, and you can get to know them pretty well.

Cons

Spire has had it's challenges over the years like any startup, but the long-running issues with leadership and transparency are coming to a head this year. Faith in the company is at an all-time low, and a lot of really important, talented employees are jumping ship. I was shocked to revisit Glassdoor and see that Spire has achieved a 4-star rating. Previous reviews with more real accounts of the company's "pros"... and "cons" have been removed, and in the last month there has been a dramatic swell in positive reviews despite few new hires. The views that also featured some good constructive criticisms to management have also been deleted, an example of how leadership refuses to listen to employees who are handling the most important day-to-day work. Communication at Spire is terrible. Once we were told that no layoffs were being considered, and then just a week or so later Spire had multiple layoffs and "resignations." Management then didn't communicate any of those changes or address the sudden changes in key positions from employees who have been with the company for years. No one knew what was going on and all we had were rumors. The culture and the business itself is deteriorating and now is not a good time to hop in. Management's updates are often misleading and they don't practice what they preach. Money is being mismanaged and many of the "perks" that brought in employees in the first place are being revoked. I wouldn't trust working with any of these leaders again.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees and be accountable for your actions. It is going to be hard to completely turn around the company, but it's not too late so save a vision to enhance space-based data for a safer, more sustainable Earth. Start by cleaning out the bad culture and bringing in people who can retain employees and trust in management.

Spire Global2019-06-18

"Hold on to your hat"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The rate of progress is astonishing. After several years here I still find it really hard wrap my head around it. You go heads down for a few weeks on your stuff, then pop up and look at what's been accomplished across the board: APIs, predictive analytics, distributed systems, embedded software, mechanical, electrical, RF, ... It still amazes me. I feel we are lucky to work with people who are this determined and... capable on something that's not just interesting technically and massively interdisciplinary but serves a meaningful mission. Life's too short to work on something that makes things worse for the people who come after us. I have not a single time during four years here been bored. The space program has substantially stayed its course during my time here as far as goals and general organization, which is a nice change of scenery compared to some of the consumer/saas companies that change their priorities every week; they often do it for good reasons, but that doesn't mean that's the most satisfying environment to be a part of as an engineer. Being provided with a tough customer problem or need, turning it up and down and inside and out until the right mental model is there, and then chipping away at solving it is imo vastly more satisfying. People are asked to deliver at a very high level. Some people would find the level unreasonable. But, you know... there's not a single person that I work with that I wouldn't hire again if given the chance. So I consider this a pro. We're opening up access to space for other companies. Space missions used to be orders of magnitude harder and more costly than building your own data center. I'm super excited about helping people leverage our infrastructure to pursue their own missions in space. What used to take people hundreds of million dollars, several years, and have a very high risk of failure can now be done at a fraction of the cost, in months, with very low risk. Countless unsolved technical problems: we have a unique set of constraints that require us to not just copy what FAANG has done but trailblaze. One of the largest satellite constellations ever, highly asymmetric intermittent links, unusual constraints on power and RF and all sorts of other things, heterogeneous hardware, higher cost of hardware failures than traditional distributed systems but lower than traditional aerospace, etc. Revolutionizing weather/climate tech has a massive positive impact for humanity.

Cons

Having been part of many startups I can say it’s not an easy job building one. Especially not a space company where small mistakes can have enormous impact every day. It doesn’t feel like we’re at a point where we can afford to mess up a lot and there’s a lot of pressure to deliver and do a great job. Does it have to be that way? I can't say for sure, but my guess is yes. Sometimes in this assault on accomplishing... our goals maybe some human elements don’t get the attention they deserve; I think that’s an area where Spire can do better as we grow and invest more in developing (or when necessary hiring) more strong leaders in support functions. You will not see most or many of your colleagues face to face because Spire is distributed globally. You'll interact with many people primarily over video conf or Slack, and various forms of written communication. Having said that personally I prefer to be part of an A+ distributed team than an A- centralized team.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on customer happiness and retaining top performers. Do your best with the rest and it’ll work itself out over time.

Spire Global2019-05-21

"Interesting and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Solve interesting problems on a daily basis *Significant cross-department integration on major projects that actually move forward *People who work here are intelligent and care about Spire's mission *Work with top-notch clients and vendors

Cons

*Some tension between founders / early employees and newer hires *Our team tends to over-complicate a lot of issues *Balance between R&D and Go-To-Market creates constant pressure on resources

Spire Global2019-05-07

"Interesting company and nice working environment."

I have been working at Spire Global full-time

Pros

Motivated supportive employees and managers.

Cons

Fairly high turnover in some groups.

Spire Global2019-05-04

"Really toxic workplace!"

I worked at Spire Global full-time

Pros

Really brilliant, great people work here

Cons

Nepotism, bullying, inexperienced and heartless leadership; Top executives don't take responsibility for their mistakes and are more than happy to pinpoint mistakes on their staff any chance they get.

Advice to Management

You can't get away with breaking laws forever.

Spire Global2019-03-08

"Needs to improve"

I worked at Spire Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very smart individuals with untapped potential. Majority of the people are great.

Cons

High turnover, harassment, poor leadership, isolation, unhealthy inter-office competition.

Advice to Management

When specific issues are constantly occurring, stop pointing fingers and take accountability.

Spire Global2019-03-11

"What is said and what is practiced may differ"

I worked at Spire Global full-time

Pros

- Get to work with very smart and capable people - Recruitment process is very efficient with feedback at every stage of the way. - You get to meet the team that you will be working with during the interview process and vice versa - Some coaches / captains are really good and genuinely care about your personal well being and professional growth

Cons

Some coaches / captains will say one thing but act in a different manner - This week, your captain could tell you not to resign, as your quality of work is good even though the schedule has slipped. He may even ask you to take a break and come back next week, while he figure how to help you. Yet next week he can fire you without notice. - Even if your team says they want you, your captain can fire you without... consulting the team.

Advice to Management

Hire good captains / coaches who sincerely care about the employees. Trust between the captain / manager and the employee must be respected. Managers / Coaches need to be truthful during 1 on 1, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Spire Global2018-11-07

"Lots of untapped potential"

I worked at Spire Global full-time

Pros

- Great team of super motivated people - Unique datasets being collected from space - Working in the NewSpace industry

Cons

- Way too focused on the "space program" and not on building a business - Basically zero career progression or coaching - Super distributed (6 offices in 4 countries) with <150 people.

Advice to Management

Listen to the smart people that you hire and don't pretend you have all the answers. Pay attention to the company you need to build today not just the shiny things years out in the future.

Spire Global2018-06-29

"Working here is like a dream!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spire Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I first joined Spire, I had no idea how incredible this company truly was. With each day that I am here, I am amazed by the tenacity and passion of the people here. The intelligence, the humbleness of the leaders here and the sheer magnitude of what we're doing... it's mind blowing at times. I mean, it's a SPACE program and I'm not sure you can get any cooler than that. Right? One of our esteemed team... members is actually in isolation right now because she's on the short list for a voyage to MARS. Yes, I said Mars. What?! In addition to the genuine authenticity of the people who work here, there is nothing more motivating than to work for a company that allows its employees to be involved in decisions and make an impact. There is a true sense of freedom and empowerment and you can feel it in the air. Other awesome things? Well, where shall I start: - Gorgeous loft-like office in the SOMA/mission area near all the trendy spots. - Generous compensation and benefits, unlimited PTO, all the holidays, flexible and relaxed work environment. - All the best tech stacks/toys - Did I mention each employee gets to have a satellite launched that you get to name?!!! Yeah, its even in your offer letter. - Spire week: You get to spend a whole week each year working out of any of the other global office, all expenses paid. SF, Singapore, Luxembourg or Glasgow aren't half bad places to hang for a week, I'd say :) - Gym reimbursement - If you're in engineering, your code will literally be in ORBIT. - Best on boarding experience of my life. The Talent Team actually cares and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and cared for every step of the way. - Culture is strong, the mission isn't just words on a google doc. It's real. - Best company I've worked for in my life so far - CEO is approachable, thoughtful and humble. He will call you personally when you join the company. - Strong leadership without egos, which is highly rare in such a dynamic and fast-scaling company. - Free food/drinks/catered lunches/company sponsored fun and events. - ZERO politics or toxicity which is also extremely rare. People here are the reason I joined and the reason I'll stay. The best of the best. - Am I gushing yet?

Cons

In any quickly growing company there are small pains like a shortage of conference rooms at times or confusion in quick pivots, but that comes with the territory. If things continue at this trajectory, there will be bumps in the road but they seem to be handled quickly and smoothly.

Advice to Management

Keep going, stay humble and don't lose that special "it" factor that we have going right now. The excitement here is infectious and mind-blowing.

Spire Global2017-12-07