Spireon Reviews | Glassdoor

Spireon Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Company has really good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Good people, new leadership, good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • s a lot to be done and upper management is being very creative with ways to assign multiple (in 9 reviews)

• This, unfortunately, leads to a poor work-life balance for some Spireonites (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Rsd in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Rsd in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Spireon (Less than a year)

Pros

They take good care of us.

Cons

Communication is lacking in some areas

"work hard"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Bedford, TX

I worked at Spireon (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunities abound but you need to do ALL the day to day things to get noticed.

Cons

Getting big fast so lots of dropped balls..

Advice to Management

They don't listen anyway so adapt or move on..

3. "Regional Account Director"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Spireon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing Atmosphere with plenty of Perks. Flexible work schedule, if you work smart.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about them.

"Learning Everyday"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irving, TX

Pros

I joined Spireon little over a year ago, primarily because of the immense respect I had for the leadership group. After a year, I can say I have seen how an organization is transformed with improvements on a month-to-month basis. The leadership knows what a great company looks like and they have a clear line of sight to it.

If you enjoy big data, this is the company for you. If you enjoy learning new technologies or pushing existing technologies to their limits, this is the company for you! If you enjoy learning leadership, this company will give you the opportunity to learn.

Cons

It is unbelievable how many opportunities and markets Spireon can grow into. The company is thirsty for more resources. We hire a lot, but I think the organization is short quite a few engineers and we need to hire aggressively for a prepared future.

"Run fast"

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Spireon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Delayed poor quality projects are normal at Spireon

Cons

All Projects at Spireon are delayed varying from months to a whole year, and very poorly managed with very poor quality focus. Program Management is a big zero and project plans and issues are tracked and manged on skype! Great way to run your projects! If you came from the same companies as the Product Managment head or Engineering Management head you are safe if you are incompetent have no accountability and weak mangement skills. Some of the managers have no management skills, very poor organization and planning skills, poor communication but are still around as they are part of the teams bought in by the senior mangement team from earlier organizations. Very demotivating to say the least. The biggest issue with this company is total disregard for the employees work life balance and unrealistic expectations on delivery of projects.

Advice to Management

Assess the effectiveness and leadership of your engineering management across the board. Hold managers and Sr. Leadership accountable for project delivery and poor quality of products.
    Take a hard look at the company culture or lack thereof of it.

"Good & Heading towards Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I, like a previous reviewer, also followed some of the management team to Spireon. I'm a strong believer in the cultural ideals that we share - specifically valuing work/life balance, software agility, humanity, understanding that results and contribution are vastly more important than hours clocked, having a passion for technology and attempting to make the world a better place with it, and so on.

I left a far more mature company to come here, because I saw opportunity and believed in our ability to take a mediocre company and turn it into something really great that we all enjoyed working at. Honestly, the first 12 months or so had quite a few hardships that I won't bother going into because it's now water under the bridge and most of the influencers that created those problems are now out of the picture. If you see negative marks about Bertram Capital's influence, etc - this is largely a non-issue now.

Today, I feel that it's fair to say that Spireon is a growing company, with a number of immaturities that it is actively seeking to remedy. I've seen enormous progress organizationally and technologically since coming here and I have nothing but confidence that it will continue that way as long as the existing leadership continues to "fight the good fight". To me, it's important to constantly make progress. It's not as important to already be perfect. If you're like me and don't mind contributing to the betterment of an imperfect software group, I expect you'd be pretty happy here.

As a software engineer, you can expect to be heard, contribute to meaningful projects, learn every day, and work on cool technology (for the most part), solving cool problems. Every company has it's good departments/teams/projects and it's bad ones. Spireon is no exception. However, there is an ongoing effort from the Project Management team to standardize our agile practices, escalation processes, etc and I expect this will yield a more consistent positive experience among our teams over the next 6 months or so. I like what I see coming out of that group so far.

If you're in Dallas, you'll be lucky to work with a particularly amazing group of people, although I've certainly come to enjoy working with some of the employees in Irvine as well.

My advice to any jobseeker would be to join now, while the company is good and getting better, but before it's so large that you may not have the same opportunities as you could today to take charge and make your career.

Cons

The last year at this company largely sucked. If I didn't love working with the people around me and have confidence that things were going to get better (at times that confidence got shaky), I'm sure I wouldn't still be here now. Luckily, things are *much* better now.

We still have a lot of progress to make in terms of our agile maturity as well as our operational/infrastructural maturity. This, unfortunately, leads to a poor work-life balance for some Spireonites. I've had a late night or two, but nothing compared to our project management, data warehouse, and devops teams. If I was writing a review from their standpoint, it'd probably be quite a bit less optimistic. The only thing that I can say is that I believe this will get better over the next 6-12 months. I know it's already much better than it was 12 months ago.

Our ITOps organization is largely ineffective. The leadership there is questionable. You don't add value by using wide-sweeping, inaccurate statements, overreacting to situations you can barely understand, and trying to control things to the point in which you actually create more issues than you resolve. My advice would be to focus on the infrastructure of this company - learn it, understand it, and help to evolve it to be more stable and add runway for our development teams. Lead by example. Create opportunities for learning. There's a lot of weakness in this area for our company and it's one of our greatest challenges given our very large data sets. There is *so* much potential for you to contribute and you are really underserving yourselves and Spireon by not taking ownership and then reacting with useless commentary when others do.

Our product management organization has weaknesses, but I'm glad to say that they seem to be proactively addressing this. I've seen people go that I didn't think were good fits, and I've seen people added that are really talented PM's. A few well placed hires and the continued effort to follow the agile process and contribute as product owners will absolutely transform your group. I've got respect for the leadership in PM, and believe that he can lead that team to where they need to be, but it currently leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Upper management - I don't agree with all of your decisions, but I do think you're on the right track. It is appreciated when you lead through influence and insight. It's unappreciated when you lead through emotion and reactive behavior. I see more of the former than the latter, so don't take this as whining - just advice to keep doing more of the former and less of the latter.

Have faith in your execution teams. If things are on the right track and rapidly progressing, don't sweat the small stuff. Focus on leadership and not scapegoating. Focus on culture. Focus on making Spireon a place that the employees will have pride in. The rest will follow.

"Corporate America at its worst"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Spireon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let's move to the Con's

Cons

I couldn't agree more with some of the other reviewer's sentiments on the upper management at Spireon. The upper management at Spireon has very questionable and unethical practices with a HR department that supports it. Firing of employees is done on a regular basis due to petty corporate politics. I have personally witnessed hard working, dedicated, well regarded employees being fired due to corporate politics and not towing line with Engineering Management.
    The core values are a big joke and there is no regard for human capital at this company.
    By far Spireon is the worst employer I have worked with in Orange County with its deceiving ways, upper management with very questionable practices and very poor work life balance. The other big con at this company is very poor planning and project management. The company wastes 3 days in SAFe planning most of which is planned is not delivered. Wonderful! The Engineering teams are very disorganized and poorly managed with too may conflicting priorities.
    The offshore development work has very little oversight and lacks quality focus.

Advice to Management

Replace your Senior Management team. Treat your employees well and don't overwork them. Happy, appreciated employees make a great company not just some Core Values on a wall.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Spireon full-time

Pros

Spireon has managed to create a highly skilled and collaborative engineering environment where cutting edge technologies are applied to create successful IoT application implementations.

I have worked for many companies during my career as a software developer, some of them pretty good and others not so good. Most of them seemed to struggle with issues, such as lack of product focus, insufficient technology expertise, competitive and conflicting personnel relationships, etc.

During my six months at Spireon I have seen none of that. The people at Spireon work very well together with little or no evidence of personal egos getting in the way. New ideas and consideration of technological improvements are welcome. People who work together sit together in open office spaces making communication free and easy. This also includes managers and directors.

Cons

Really cant think of anything that is not being addressed. What is and needs to be addressed is the reduction of software complexity in order to reduce maintenance overhead and free resources for new development.

"Building something great"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Spireon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an exciting technology space to be in, and the opportunity to build something really big is here. There's a bit of a startup vibe with that "build" mentality, although it is certainly more mature in nature. The management is smart, and for driven employees there is plenty of opportunity to have ownership of important projects, and grow with that. I haven't been told "no" on anything up to this point in terms of ideas and suggestions - it's typically an answer of "let's try it out" or "let's make a case" and make it happen.

Cons

There are some typical growing pains with a company in this position, with some employees and managers so laser focused that they forget to stick their heads up to enjoy the ride. The "work hard" part is nailed, and the "play hard" part should grow with that. Seems to be going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging teamwork and make sure the employees have some fun along with their hard work.

"Software Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Irving, TX

I have been working at Spireon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Tremendous amount of respect from developers and management
    2) Ability to advance technical skills including Java and machine communications
    3) Management is very open to input
    4) Environment is very dynamic

Cons

Less technically inclined QA's might not do well.