Spirit Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Fornaro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Spirit Airlines full-time

Pros

Pro of job was benefits

Cons

The pay could have been better

2. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time

Pros

You can make your own schedule once rewarded with a line

Cons

Can't work more than 110 legaly

3. "Inflight Supervisor"

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time

Pros

Flying benefits, flying benefits, flying benefits

Cons

Very low pay, the supervisors are tasked to do the work of three people, overwhelming. Still not up to date with today's technology.

Advice to Management

Your supervisors cannot raise the bar any higher.

4. "Fight Attendant"

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time

Pros

Easy application and quick questions

Cons

Took for ever to hear back.

"Growing company, growing pains"

Current Employee - Reliability Man in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Reliability Man in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to expand and help in other projects outside work scope

Cons

Still a growing company lacking corporate structure. If you're intention is to grow and learn this place perhaps isn't for you. More suitable to an engineer with experience

Advice to Management

Invest in training

"Production Controller"

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain experience and learn more about the aviation world. The pay is also decent. The schedule is also nice.

Cons

Needs better training methods and better communication within the company and between departments.

7. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Spirit Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great scope to work and learn. Very good team members. No hierarchy. Lots of growth.

Cons

No profit sharing or bonuses unless you're in a Managerial position. Very less 401K contribution, poor paid time off.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued by giving better benefits like more 401k contribution and paid time and bonus

"Trained, then Let Go... Honest Thoughts ? Left In the Dirt ..."

Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Newark, NJ

I worked at Spirit Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spirit company pros : Friendly workplace , biligual/multilingual/multicultural environment.
    One must work as a team with one's coworkers to coordinate the check-in and boarding process for passengers.
    Young company : Modern values, diversity , young population hiring outlook positive . I would say, this is a very good company to get your foot in the door .
    Highly competitive work sphere. Good for people who like the challenge;

not so good if you're just looking to get through the day stress-free , clock in and clock out. You will have to stay after hours to get specific things done, or else , literally, planes couldn't take off.

Cons

HIGH TURNOVER RATE - Training Required by your issuing airport , and your issuing airline company . Application process takes a long time. Generally an airport-specific complaint.
    Heard horror stories of customer complaints .
    Was let go on probationary period due to a personal situation, an unexpected death in the family ; I requested time off . I was given time off. But then upon returning to work, I was told I violated probationary requirements by "taking off".

MANY NEGATIVE CUSTOMER REVIEWS , particularly about "baggage fees." Spirit's advertisement boasts "lowest ticket prices" but their business model fails in the baggage pricing department.
    I suggest changing weight requirements to 50lbs the normal international rate instead of charging an extra 50$ for being 10lbs overweight suitcase.
     One would boast the weight on the plane is the reasons ; in that case I suggest the company invest in some aircraft design overview.

One should not have to pay inside the airplane for accommodation services . European and other foreign airlines outside U.S. have mastered this.

Needs to update its training manual. I personally, needed tech support since this is a highly tech reliant workplace . My personal feeling was that I was left to swim in a very fast-paced environment. 2 months in was enough for me to get to learn the ropes, but I was let go suddenly and brushed out the door with a check.
    Told needed to wait 6months to reapply. Recovering from initial loss of employment is difficult for some -- don't be without some form of back up plan or job. Airline industry is a HIGHLY COMPETITIVE WORK SPHERE.

Advice to Management

Spirit's young company values are attractive to many young business professionals, but there is room for improvement . Specifically in these three sections : Baggage Pricing , Aircraft Design, Business Model.

Would recommend that whatever Spirit's affiliates are working in tandem with airport administration, that company representatives get involved with the training and education of new hires, especially those new to this type of environment. Airport level stress and adjustment as a new hire I personally liken to hospital-level worker stress; with time being of the essence and team coordination in getting tasks done is key.

9. "Ramp Service Agent"

Current Employee - Ramp Service Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Ramp Service Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Spirit Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great flight benefits. Flexible work hours and ability to gain overtime hours. No micro management.

Cons

Too many responsibilities for the pay you receive. People have to be working 16 hours a day just to make ends meet. Constant mandatory overtime which can conflict with School or personal issues. Training is subpar and leads to an unprofessional environment.

Advice to Management

A better pay rate should be considered as a method of prevent the high turnover rate that we have. Customer Service agents received a pay raise with no hesitation or union when their turnover rate was high, so I believe the same can be done for the ramp, because you know, we are doing the brunt of the work.

10. "Flight Attemdany"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Spirit Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Cheapest airline in the industry. Both for tickets and the business model. You truly get what you pay for, nothing except an uncomfortable seat.
    Don’t waste $500 on a hotel, meals, travel to and from the airport.
    You will be competing against possibly 400 applicants (Its a true cattle call) for a 5% chance or lower, of getting a FA position.
    When I interviewed the first cut was made after a two hour presentation of st least 200 applicants. Save your money and apply for a real airline. At Spirit “you get what you pay for”. As an employee you will start at close to $19,000.00 a year.

Advice to Management

Poor business model. Totally designed for the airlines owners. Not the passengers. You say by 2021 you may have the youngest fleet of planes. I guarantee by 2021 there will be a lot more airlines ahead of you with much newer planes.