Spirit Halloween Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Spirit Halloween President and CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Advancement within company, fun environment (in 53 reviews)

• The job itself is a lot of fun and it's great to raise money for local children's hospitals (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • My third year here, I had some issues with upper management (in 32 reviews)

• long hours and no air conditioner at times (in 26 reviews)

"Great and exciting experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time

Pros

30% discount
    great management and team
    skill building

Cons

extremely fast paced and dynamic (especially closer to Halloween)

"Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the better companies, for with I have worked. Hit the ground running. Numbers matter, to the company & so do people. If you have a knack for people, fixing anima-tronics, and/or enjoy the Halloween "life's a party" Season -- you will absolutely enjoy this job.

Cons

Hit the ground running. They expect a lot in a short time, but you see the reward later. I had hoped for additional training. Will I return next year - Yes, I hope to join earlier.

Advice to Management

Upper Management at Spirit Halloween, does the job required, especially mid-season. I would hope you could put more time into your staff. If you're burnt out on time, give the staff an alternative for training.

3. "Cool Temporary Job"

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time

Pros

quirky job with a lot of different types or people, and it's temporary.

Cons

A lot of times everybody knows each other and they hire the same people every year so if you don't get into the clique you wont get re-hired the next year

"Upper Management Needs to Relax"

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time

Pros

I worked with some great employees and my manager was the best. Fun work environment, interesting items. 30% off merchandise

Cons

Upper management will tear you apart and make you feel worthless.

"Great job for extra money"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time

Pros

Decent discount
    Easy to move up
    Easy job
    Easy to communicate with upper management.

Cons

Depending upon space it can be hard to work with the store layouts, but most of the time it's doable.
    Most jobs are only seasonal
    Overall, there aren't really cons.

Advice to Management

Give out a survey at the end of the season to get feedback on what could make things smoother for the next season.

"work experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Plainfield, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Plainfield, IL

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount. Getting the opportunity to work as a team & potentially have a good time. Learning how to train oneself on a POS system. Costumes & Halloween stuff.

Cons

Disorganized & dysfunctional management. Literally no real training given, all information is presented in printouts or via PowerPoint on a screen. Merchandise is dollar store quality. Scheduling seems to be confused on a weekly basis. There is not much potential for advancement or a raise & since staff is dispensable/replaceable there is no incentive to cultivate a positive environment that values "teamwork."

Advice to Management

Advice to management:
    Communicate with people - treat workers & customers like human beings. Train your workforce! Don't hold your staff to standards that you yourself cannot even keep as a manager. Honor any assurances made during hiring about scheduling & availability .

Also, make all of your measurements twice before trying to set up perimeter walls ...I wish that was a joke.

Advice for potential Store Associates: look for a real job. A job at Spirit Halloween is a bleak introduction to the world of retail & won't open many doors for you. However, if your goal is to be marginalized through your work experience... in exchange for a barely-living wage... then you can't do much better than a job at Spirit Halloween.

"Awful company"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone suffers through the same thing so if you get along with your coworkers, they're like family.
    Employee discount is great only after Halloween, where you can get 30% on top of the already 50% given to everyone.
    Pretty chill atmosphere, assuming you have chill management.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. Literally god awful. No appreciation for all the time and effort you put into a seasonal job. For all the money you make for them, they don't give you more hours to accommodate. Will tell you to send people home early because "over hours" but everyone there will be swamped and customer theft becomes rampant.

Workers are also kind of lazy sometimes... a lot of people think that because it's a seasonal job that it doesn't have to be taken as seriously. A job is still a job. People tend to slack off a lot here and do the bare minimum. Yes, it's a seasonal job and yes, it's minimum wage for associates, but it's literally the same if you got a sales associate job anywhere else.

Overworked to the core. Absolutely no time to rest. Way too much responsibility. Upper management seriously doesn't care about you and will work you to your death. You won't get extra hours NO MATTER HOW MUCH your store makes over goal. We were tens of thousands over our overall goal and were still chastised for going over our "budget."

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make it seem like you're a great company by emphasizing that you "give to the community" by donating to local children's hospitals when you can't even take care of your own employees. Your employees are what makes you and your company successful. Learn to appreciate their efforts. Even if it's a seasonal job, they're still working their butts off to make you an insane amount of money for that short of a time period. I don't even want to work here anymore because of awful upper management.

"Great Part Time Jon"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oak Harbor, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oak Harbor, WA

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good coworkers, GREAT Store Managers and District Managers, Area director, District Manager and Store Manager get bonus's based on a sliding scale across multiple areas, discount at Store for employees, get to watch people get scared

Cons

Min wage, lowest possible employee count with a ton of set up to do-it literally is physically impossible, no benefits.

Advice to Management

No advice to management-they're doing a great job, advice to Corporate-GIVE MORE HOURS FOR SET UP

9. "You get what you sign up for"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Flexible hours. Fun everyday. Managers deserve a lot more respect than they're given with how much they do for their employees. Amazing place with no discrimination against lgbqt+ or appearance. Overall great work environment where your feelings and thoughts matter.

Cons

The higher the title, the longer the hours (but that's obvious). Outdated programs (they're being worked on finally). Lots of heavy lifting at the beginning and end but you're warned about that before being hired. As any retail job can be, you're on your feet your whole shift.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and improve as you see fit. You guys are doing a great job and I can't wait to continue to work with you the next season and so on.

"I Love It Every Year I'm Here"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is above minimum wage in Ohio. West Store Managers get great hours. Great Discounts, Flexible Schedule

Cons

Seasonal, Hard Labor In Beginning But I Had Great Managers That Understood My health

Advice to Management

Keep Being Great