Splunk Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Merritt

Pros
  • Sometimes fast paced, but good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Great product, our customers love our product and that makes our jobs a lot more enjoyable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • growing pains as current growth is crazy (in 9 reviews)

• In a growing company, growing companies have pains, to be expected (in 7 reviews)

1. "Fast growing, strong opportunity, fun people"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast growing company with strong products and happy customers
    - People are friendly, open and willing to work together
    - Fun environment, great perks, nice offices -- people are always grabbing drinks locally or on the 7th floor
    - Awesome product talent -- the hack weeks are so much fun

Cons

- Management turnover as the company scales -- some of the folks that grew the company to this point struggled to scale. New CEO and leaders bringing experience and focus, but it causes temporary disruption.
    - Always new challenges in the market, which causes some churn, but that is life in tech. Need to be comfortable with uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Make sure that decisions are clear, transparent and that the right people are "on the bus" throughout the organization. The culture that made the company great needs to be maintained as we add on hundreds of new people.

"not bad but nothing special about the place"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lot of revenue so not likely to close doors any time soon. full stack app w/some real computer science going on underneath

Cons

corporate now, not much start-up vibe any more. Lots of senior mgmt changes recently: no proven competence.

Advice to Management

lead by example, be more accessible & present.

"A shadow of its former self"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Splunk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very useful product, customers legitimately get a lot of value even with high prices. Fair amount of different technology problems to interact with. Individual contributors are often helpful. Overall this is about as good as you can imagine a mid-size enterprise software shop could be. There's a dream that it's still a fun company, but it's just a company, which isn't a bad thing.

Cons

No longer able to hear the needs of customers, who want usability and reliability. Dysfunctional waterfall process produces poorly integrated features instead. Industry best practices on scope management and quality are given lip service, but not actually followed. Technical debt is fairly high.

New projects often struggle with politics and process.

Advice to Management

Pick some paths forward and fund them economically and politically to succeed.

5. "Great internship with Splunk"

Former Intern - Product Manager Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Product Manager Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Splunk as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Splunk has a really great culture, pretty large intern program, gave me a lot of responsibility as an intern, overall it was an awesome 12 weeks in San Francisco

Cons

It's a pretty big company

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk (More than 3 years)

Pros

Splunk used to be a great company to work. Agile, innovative, fun, great leadership - we're not that company anymore. Only other pro is our new building - it's pretty sweet.

Cons

Toxic leadership - especially within my engineering org. Poor decision making at the senior executive level. I don't feel like my manager or team lead has my best, or the company's best interest in mind - it seems a lot of the decisions are ego driven. Salaries aren't competitive in engineering either - most people are just staying until their fully vested. Perks could be improved - no cafeteria, gym, 401k etc --- Splunk will surely start to lose talent soon.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Look after your people. Make better decisions, communicate them and walk us through the reasons decisions were made.

"Salary"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Good salary

Cons

Sometimes lots of requests and work

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great culture. High growth. Well positioned with core products as well as security, cloud and IT analytics.

Cons

Growth has created room for improvement scaling internal tools and processes. A lot of great process since I have been onboard.

"The best workplace environment I have ever experienced!"

Current Contractor - Contract Technical Writer - Compliance Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is very employee-centric with lots of accommodations and perks. The teams I've worked with are very collaborative and constructive. Contractors are treated with respect and appreciation. Bosses are considerate and company communications across the board have been very good. The company's offices in San Francisco are modern, well designed and interesting. I really love it here and am working hard to land a permanent role.

Cons

Sometimes with all the activity and workload happening, some individuals get more focused on work than on answering questions, which means you need to be able to work well within a team while maintaining an ability to be a self starter if you can't easily get the information you need.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Your focus on maintaining critical company culture during this exceptional growth phase is critical (and you already know this and are recruiting accordingly). Further, setting a core focus on the cloud product is similarly a critically important decision that you've already identified and executed. Excellent leadership!

"Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere.
    Fun, Talented People.
    Great Perks & Facilities.

Cons

Teams appear to be doubling effort in some places.

Advice to Management

Keep Growing, Keep Adapting, Keep Building.

"A fast growing company with pains ... and great potential"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Splunk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Customers love the product.
    - Lots of challenging problems to work on.
    - Business is growing rapidly.
    - Huge addressable market(s)

Cons

- Growing pains:
    Empire building by some of the leaders fostered cronyism. And some grossly incompetent people got appointed to leadership positions, as a result, they recruited more incompetent people. To add salt to injury, these people don't contribute in a positive way, instead, they do things to put a dent in the productivity of other teams.

- Lack of transparency in certain things, especially around promotions etc. If you know the right people, and do the right thing at the right time seen by the right superiors, you are on a fast track. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how much you do or contribute.

Advice to Management

Clean house, build a stronger management, and the sail to the future will be much smoother.