Spok Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Spok CEO Vince Kelly
Vince Kelly

Pros
  • They are always willing to help out and answer any questions (in 5 reviews)

• Casual dress code, you can wear jeans and T-shirt if you'd like or Shorts/flipflops in the summer, Baseball caps are allowed (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • and throws off the whole work/life balance thing (in 4 reviews)

• There are some growing pains and hiccups as a result of the coming together of two companies, but that's to be expected (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Get ready to have a blast!"

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer | Team Lead in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer | Team Lead in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok full-time

Pros

Fun and flexible work environment:
    One of the things I really enjoy about Spok is the flexibility in working hours that work best for the employee and the company along with working remotely when needed. Last year, I worked every other week from home.
    You’ll find it’s ok to make mistakes. I made a major mistake weeks ago and instead of my Manager and Vice President coming down on me, they were more interested in how to correct it and what I learned from it. That was quite refreshing.
    Competitive Pay
    I came to Spok from a very large consumer electronics company and was surprised to learn the benefits were a great deal better here at Spok.
    Outstanding growth opportunities:
    I have been at Spok for less than two years and because of the support from team members I have been able to accomplish a lot. Those things include:
    Being recognized company-wide for two separate months as a “Top Spok” which is a really nice recognition program, being promoted to Senior Engineer, later being promoted to Dept Lead, given opportunity to travel across the country to customer sites , and conducting live webinars for external customers. None of these things are because of me. All these things are because the support given by team members, other groups, and leadership. Trust me when I say that I’m no one special, but the team at Spok will pour knowledge and invest into you. It’s an understatement to say that Spok has a really strong team.
    At Spok, if you have an idea, leadership will listen and support you. Leadership of all levels is really accessible here.
    Mentorship:
     It’s a challenging environment with something different each day. There are so many people in our group that are 10 times sharper than I am. One of the refreshing things is how much everyone is willing to share knowledge. Whether it’s learning mobile operating systems, Linux Red Hat, Windows, Oracle, scripting, T-SQL, telephony, wireless communications, etc., you have the opportunity to learn and leadership will support you.
    Currently, there are many openings in support and most are due to promotions and moves to different departments:
    One moved to QA and is creating new functionalities, one was promoted to the Operations Lead, one accepted a position in our Professional Services Group, and another accepted a DBA position. Needless to say, if you’re wondering about career advancement, you have no need to worry here.
    Not everything here is perfect. We are currently super busy. I get the opportunity to talk with my Vice President daily. They understand our workload and it’s not uncommon to hear:
    “What project can I remove from your plate in order for you to focus on …?”
    “Don’t bring lunch tomorrow, I’m buying pizza”
    “I brought donuts”
    I receive coaching from other managers and executives regularly and the leadership makes you want to strive to be better.
    Finally, I was asked today where I see myself a year from now and my answer was right here. It’s an exciting environment with something new to learn every day and that’s no exaggeration.

Cons

Learning curve is aggressive, so it is imperative that you be a self-starter. I really can't think of many cons. I haven't been in another company where I've had the opportunity to learn as much as here.

Here at Spok, if there's something you don't like, we have the ear of our leadership to make it better.

Advice to Management

Continue to unleash the power of the employees. Continue to cast a clear vision for the company.

2. "Love the people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Spok full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at what was then called USA Mobility for more than 10 years. Loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Inconsistent in their strategic direction

"Started Awesome Ended horribly"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Spok full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Casual Dress Code
    - Learning environment, I still use skills that I learned at this job, great place to learn
    - Fellow Employees are awesome, I made lots of friends and still have those friends to this day

Cons

- Management, specifically Support, has no clue about the product or how it works constantly throws employees under the bus for the sake of the customer.
    - Support metrics are not review based, you could get a good review but still get reprimanded about the same call for something you did "wrong" even though the customer was happy.
    - On call is a joke, take a late night call and work on it all night? better show up at your scheduled time the next day. Oh, you didn't sleep? Oh well. Management doesn't care and is so far out of touch.
    - No communication between Dev, Support, and PSG, such a triangle of mismanagement. Dev creates a bad product, PSG installs it, by the time anyone finds out the customer already paid and support is on the hook to fix it all!

Advice to Management

Try working a day in your employees' shoes, try being more empathetic towards how it feels to be thrown under the bus for the sake of a customer. Get to know the product and what works and what doesn't. Just be better people

"Customer Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, NH

I worked at Spok (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and products. Fast paced and good place to work toward advancement within your career. Great Development staff working on leading edge applications for customers. Growing company with a lot of new goals and objectives.

Cons

Nothing really at this time. Work/life balance can be difficult due to the fast pace Spok is under due to the rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good efforts in the market place.

"Tech Bait and Switch, Strange Environment"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Bedford, NH

I worked at Spok full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They provide jobs to lesser quality individuals that may need a job.

Cons

Management is schizophrenic, reeling from one initiative to the next. As others have stated, managers are more involved in office politics on a granular level than day to day operations. Customers often suffer as a result of all the game playing. The people they choose promote speaks volumes to the house of cards they are building.

Advice to Management

Board should fire you all

"Total chaos"

Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Non. It used to be a great company but after buying multiple other companies and not caring at all to try and integrate them it has become a complete fiasco.

Cons

They don't care about the products, customers or employees. It's all about bottomline but not realizing that that bottomline is being produced by great people providing great solutions to their customers. And every quarterly report is showing a downwards spiral. The products have not been updated in years and all the good people have left that should tell you there is something seriously wrong!

Advice to Management

Paging is dead! Vince Kelly stop caring a long time ago so why would the rest of the company care. Management by fear has never worked and never will. Further more, promoting incompetent people because they belong to the inner circle does not help the company at all.

Spok Response

Aug 10, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback.  In every area of business and around the world, technological advances are impacting product life cycles.   At Spok we are embracing this change.  Even our pager ... More

"Amatuer hour at Spok"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Bedford, NH

Pros

Instead of staffing for multiple shifts as is typical for 24 hour shops, Spok instead implements a rotating on call schedule. Since management made the decision not to confirm hours were actually worked, your able to embellish your timecard to your hearts content.
    Working 8 hours a day is optional

Cons

Management gone wild.
    Paging is on it's way out, and senior management knows it. There is a strong "manage the decay" sense you get working day to day. Over the years, the cream of the crop has gone onto better endeavors and Spok is currently filled with what was left. These were easily some of the most malcontent, malicious and incurious people I have ever worked with. Definitely not the kind of place you would want to spend a lot of time at. The low quality workers holding high level positions within the company is a result of their management style. Decisions are based on office politics as opposed to merit, it was often remarked it seemed management never matured mentally past high school.

Advice to Management

People who understand technology and have half a brain know that when management starts pushing Dale Carnagie / Zig Ziglar culture, its time to run away as fast as you can.

Spok Response

Aug 8, 2016 – EVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback which we take very seriously. Spok provides support to our customers for critical cases 24/7/365. We monitor the volume of calls received after-hours and ... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work-life balance
    Solutions that make a difference in the lives of others
    Responsive management
    Growth and career opportunities
    Fun atmosphere and culture, including events to help get to know employees outside of your own department.

Cons

Eden Prairie location not ideal. There can be high traffic to/from the office, and there are few options nearby for lunch.

Advice to Management

Company is moving in the right direction. Continue to invest in advancing the products to maintain leader status in the industry.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok full-time

Pros

Work schedule is flexible if you need it to be.
    The people are great
    Good pay
    Weekly one on one meetings with manager to focus on career related items.

Cons

It can be a difficult learning process. Management recognizes that though and gives the employee plenty of time to learn his/her area.

10. "Great place now .. and building for the future!"

Current Employee - Director in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok (Less than a year)

Pros

What we do really matters! And, every person and every function is in a position to contribute to expanding the impact of our solutions. We are well-positioned for future growth, and the company is investing in our products and people and building the infrastructure (tools and training) for sustainable growth.

Cons

This is a time of transition, and that can be challenging for some team members.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the lines of communication open - to keep the team focused on current priorities and the future vision.