Spok Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Spok CEO Vince Kelly
Vince Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual dress code, you can wear jeans and T-shirt if you'd like or Shorts/flipflops in the summer, Baseball caps are allowed (in 6 reviews)

• They are always willing to help out and answer any questions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult due to the fast pace Spok is under due to the rapid growth (in 4 reviews)

• Taking away people's ability to work from home even though they were told that they'd be able to (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart people and cutting edge projects"

I have been working at Spok full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is extremely smart, talented and works hard.
    - Real opportunity to make a difference and be a part of a growing company that wants to do what is right.
    - Culture fosters accountability (likely not a value of those posting neg reviews here!)
    - Fast-paced atmosphere and everyone is encouraged to innovate.
    - Benefits are great, very competitive (no increase in healthcare premiums this year-can't be said for a lot of employers!)

Cons

- New employees are expected to perform and meet very high standards (not necessarily a con though)

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best of the best. Recognize the effort and hard work of your employees.

Dec 18, 2017 – EVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback! It is very exciting to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Spok. Even more rewarding is that you’re speaking the Spok values in your review; we’re accountable... More

2. "Great Growth Potential"

I have been working at Spok full-time

Pros

Passionate teams and very focused vision, flexible work environment

Cons

Growing quickly and not enough support within teams to execute vision as quickly as needed.

Jan 9, 2018 – EVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that Spok is very fortunate to have such passionate and talented people and we will continue to strive to provide an environment in which they can learn, grow... More

3. "On Boarding Process"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Spok full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly impressed with the on-boarding support at Spok. Been here about a month and am very pleased with the eager and willing support from all the departments I work with. Benefits are good, internal support for HR and IT has been great. Sales leadership is engaged, focused and supportive.

Cons

Internal web site, SpokNet could use a make-over for ease of use.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The future is bright.

4. "Spok's downhill slide"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Spok full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Marketing and many excellent Sales Engineers that perform miracles to support salespeople in their sales effort where products are not well designed.

Cons

The master politicians have taken over the company and many of the talented people have been let go or have left.

Advice to Management

Spok's goal is to provide for the stockholders. The best thing to do is to provide quality products and services to the customers and take care of your employees.

5. "Great culture, fast paced, tons of opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great! It is still a smaller company and it has that small company atmosphere. A smaller company also means there is a lot of opportunity to make a mark if you are willing to put forth the effort. The biggest pro for me is that Spok really makes a difference in the world dealing with critical communications in the healthcare industry so there is a genuine sense of meaning in what I do here.

Cons

Benefits are not the greatest but overall compensation is competitive. That is really the only con I can think of so far.

Advice to Management

None at this time

Dec 18, 2017 – EVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your feedback. We think the culture at Spok is great too and we’re looking forward to what the future holds as we grow together! We... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Spok full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are friendly and the executive are very open, nice and helpful. Health Insurance is great.

Cons

salary is well below market value

7. "Sales"

I worked at Spok (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good comp plan if you hit your quota

Cons

Executive management are friends/ family.

Dec 18, 2017 – EVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your service and are pleased that you valued the incentive compensation opportunities available to sales employees.

As a former employee you are no... More

"It's okay but not great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Spok full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code
    Free coffee/tea (even though it's pretty bad)
    Relaxed hours
    Not too stressful for the most part, though it can be at times
    There are some newer people who brought good change to the company but Spok could use a lot more of it

Cons

-Taking away people's ability to work from home even though they were told that they'd be able to work from home when offered the job
    -The company is split in two and you can feel it, culture wise and product.
    -Management doesn't get along and want to all go in different ways
    -Poor planning and research is leading the company to burn through money
    -Very poor training as far as individual teams go. I've seen some other reviews saying this and HR claims a good training process. (Sure as far as Hr things, training was fine, but when it comes to technical training and team -onboarding...training and coming onto a team is pretty bad and not too fun.
    -Culture is not fun, inclusive, nor warm, which I guess there are many places that could be worse but just something to note. They do do events to try and create a culture but it's pretty fake-ish. I guess it just comes with being a bigger company.
    -Little room to grow or get a pay increase. Company hasn't increased pay in a while
    -Get pushed around a lot by the customers
    -Company/Management doesn't care about its employees. They try to pretend to care but you can feel it's not genuine.

"Worst company ever!!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spok full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s flexible and pay is competitive

Cons

Where should I being....This company brags about their stable business strategy and innovation but in reality it never changes and keeps using its outdated legacy systems. This company rarely keeps highly skilled talent because they get over worked due to other people’s incompetence. Majority of the IT team talks a big game but in reality they are novices at best. There is a serious diversity problem at Spok and it’s apparent as soon as you set foot in the offices, employees are treated as garbage if they are not part of the “IN” crowd. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE...

Dec 13, 2017 – EVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Spok fell short of your expectations, but we’re glad that you felt like you were receiving... More

"Abysmal Management"

Former Employee - Support in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Support in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Spok full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing to lose if you get fired

Cons

so short staffed you can't get fired

Advice to Management

resign to allow for new management
    Listen to your employees you fools

Oct 27, 2017 – EVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that your experience at Spok was not more positive. As you may know, over the past five years, Spok has been in the process of implementing a major... More