KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Spokeo Employee Reviews about "customer care"

Updated Sep 15, 2020

Found 9 of over 135 reviews

4.0
Spokeo CEO Harrison Tang  (no image)
Harrison Tang
Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, themed rooms and teams, great supportive staff, friendly environment, room for advance(in 22 reviews)

• "There's free lunch here and they pay for your free conference every year(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "WFH option was only offered to Customer Care following COVID(in 9 reviews)

• "No standardized work from home policy(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "customer care"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Supportive Management and Excellent Co-Workers

Sep 15, 2020 - Chargeback Analyst in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Responsive and transparent management 2. Supportive and encouraging teammates 3. Nurturing environment 4. Free lunch and snacks

Cons

While the departments communicate well, Customer Care is on a different floor. From prior experience at other companies, teams work better in the same physical space.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful

VP of Operations

Thank you very much for the feedback! We are so glad that you feel the support from the team and our management. We strive very hard to provide a supportive and nurturing work environment. We understand that some team members may find it difficult to communicate with other teams due to the physical location of the seating arrangements. Now that we are all working remotely due to Covid-19, we highly recommend you to make use of Slack and Zoom to reach out to other team members and stay in touch. In particular, please participate in the #culture channel on Slack where you can join other teammates on Virtual Coffee Breaks and after-hour chats. The Culture team has also set up a #culture-donut channel to pair up team members from different departments every 2 weeks. You will be randomly paired with another team member and have a chance to chat or connect online for a quick conversation. Hope you continue to enjoy your Spokeo life!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work.

Sep 8, 2020 - Customer Care
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing benefits: medical, vision, and dental premiums are 100% paid by the company. - Daily catered lunch (pre-COVID and WFH period) - Fun coworkers. It honestly feels like a big family. I've made friends here that I've kept in touch with even after they moved on to other companies. - Holiday and company anniversary parties - Department heads and team leads are very responsive to feedback and open to change - Our company is full of diversity and the founders are constantly in the loop and considerate when it comes to current events. - Reviews/raises every 6 months (up to 5% raise each time)

Cons

- WFH option was only offered to Customer Care following COVID. It was unheard of as an option for the department prior to that. - Customer Care and the other departments feel very disconnected from each other. - Customer Care is understaffed and the agents are often overwhelmed by the number of calls or chats coming in. Leadership has had to jump in and help every day for a long time now - There are not many opportunities to move up within Customer Care. We had more opportunities available a few years ago. - Raises could be better.

1 person found this review helpful

Director of Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback! We agree that the unprecedented situation with COVID-19 has brought forth many new challenges as it continues to evolve. Over the last few months, the Customer Care leadership team has welcomed the opportunity to serve our customers alongside our front line agents to provide the team and our customers with additional support. This positive adjustment has enabled the leadership team to reconnect directly with customers and has created a deeper understanding of what it means to be on the front line. This understanding also extends to advocating for team members to collaborate across departments. We are excited to have recently transformed what was once a Customer Care initiative into an inclusive Voice of Spokeo program across all departments of the company. Now all team members can voice their feedback and suggest ideas to improve our product and service. While we have had to make many adjustments during this time, we are beyond thankful to be in the position to accommodate remote work for all team members, and we will continue to look for more opportunities to preserve and enhance our team culture. Thank you again for your comments!

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Lesson Not Worth Learning

Apr 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some genuinely awesome and talented people work here. The benefits and perks are above industry standard. The equipment provided is top-of-the-line.

Cons

Spokeo’s management team continues to act as its own worst enemy. From hire to exit, you’ll be amazed watching this team repeat the same cycle of mistakes. Eventually you’ll be caught in the crosshairs. You’ll think you’re safe... until you’re not. Accountability - there is none. Many of the leaders at Spokeo refuse to look within for the answers to their problems. Most employees walk on eggshells and avoid conflict by blindly agreeing to ridiculous proposals. You might try to fight it at first - they hired you for your decades of experience, right? You’ll quickly find out that a few HBR articles and a 2013 blog post from your-area-of-expertise.net make your leadership team more equipped to do your job than you are. The corporate brand is entirely disconnected from reality. The company that obscures its pricing/subscription model to sell private data to vulnerable customers can’t genuinely think it should be viewed as a champion of transparency. This absurdity has a real impact on the people responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company. I feel for the customer care team - no amount of free lunch makes up for being berated all day. I guess paying for premium ad placement of why Spokeo is a great place to work is cheaper than fixing the actual systemic problems. When things go from sour to toxic, senior managers have the luxury of being let go. The rest of us get to enjoy public humiliation, character assassination, and gaslighting while being moved deep into obscurity in an attempt to force a voluntary departure. You get bonus pain points if you’re a woman or person of color. Finding a new job is painful with Spokeo on your resume - prepare to articulate how you sold your soul and still have nothing of value to add to your portfolio.

17 people found this review helpful

Director

Thank you for your years of service. We are sorry to hear about your experience at Spokeo, but we are glad that you took the time to provide your valuable feedback. We hope you shared your thoughts directly with your manager when you were at Spokeo since it would be difficult for us to address your concerns if we weren’t aware of them. “Listen With Empathy” is the first of our six core values, and it is part of our culture to constantly seek our teammates’ feedback so that we can continuously improve. We host a weekly “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) with our CEO, send monthly anonymous employee surveys on various topics, and have a dedicated Culture team whose job it is to help improve team engagement. We advocate for an environment where every team member has the opportunity to voice their opinions and contribute to a variety of projects because. We are proud of the progress we’ve made toward building the most transparent data company for both our customers and teammates. We provide our customers with actionable insights about the people around them at low and clear prices. We equip teammates with information and contextual knowledge to further collaboration and engagement. As an example, we share all financial numbers, user and product analytics, and customer care metrics in our monthly company meetings. This monthly company meeting also includes an “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) session where teammates can pose anonymous questions to our leadership team. We believe that transparency makes our world a better place, and we will continue to listen and improve so that we can fulfill our mission.

4. 1.0

Customer Care

Feb 5, 2018 - Customer Care Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

- food - parking - perks (they wouldn't be able to keep employees without these)

Cons

The biggest issue I had working for this company is that I felt like I was conning people every day. I only lasted 4 months because I hated this job so much I would cry on my commute to and from. The product does not work and this company makes its money by tricking its online users into signing up for $20-40/month subscriptions through sneaky fine print (after charging about a dollar to do something like look up a phone number). The information is hardly ever accurate. I looked up dozens of people I knew in my down time and it was never correct. The customer care department is actually a loss prevention department. Management coached us and even had us take classes on how to manipulate "customers" into accepting the least amount of refund possible even when customers had NEVER used the product after being charged $20/month for YEARS. Prizes were given on a regular basis to CC reps who authorized the least amount of refunds. It felt disgusting and dishonest. I couldn't work somewhere when I couldn't stand by the product/service. Customer care reps are expected to answer at least 50 calls per day (I remember doing about 70), 90% of which are from people who have been unexpectedly signed up for a subscription and are rightfully angry about it. I'm not sure if this is still the standard but when I was there customers had to ask for a refund 3 times before we were allowed to offer one. All in all one of the worst, if not the worst, jobs I've ever had.

8 people found this review helpful

Spokeo

Thank you for the feedback. Spokeo as a company is focused on transparency. From sharing regular financial updates with employees, to providing the freshest and most accurate data available to educate customers, we aim to practice and provide transparency. Please note that our support team never says anything that is untrue to our customers. Our products are sold as a subscription and we work to make sure that customers are aware of our pricing model. We are also implementing new product features and elements that will provide an even deeper value for this monthly subscription, in addition to more transparency. We appreciate your time spent helping any customers who were previously confused about this model. Our current team is focused on educating and helping our customers have the best product experience and handle any billing or other support inquiries.

5. 3.0

Better to avoid for Customer Care

Oct 3, 2016 - Customer Care Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and insurance benefits are great. The people you work with are honest and caring, and treat you like a human. There are a lot of events, raffles, and perks that happen frequently.

Cons

The actual work is a nightmare. They have a terrible, almost crooked billing practice that borders on theft. I felt that I was exploiting people. I did not enjoy the work I had to endure, which was mostly hostile people that were screwed over. Nepotism, and a lot of it. People who get promoted are people who go to all the events and devote their lives to the company. I did not see a real work/life balance nor any growth unless I sucked up to the people above everyday. Also, Customer Care is treated like crap from engineers. They do not even look at your nor acknowledge your existence, even though it Customer Care that helps them keep their job. Finally, the pay and any raises to it, is entirely dependent upon the metrics of your work, which is utter non-sense.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Run from this bad customer care job

Mar 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited snacks and daily meals. Low level managers are good.

Cons

The company does not care about their employees. You are just a little person in their big world. Take away the food and this is just another bad customer care job.You are monitored by every little thing you say on your calls. I have seen new people show up for training and then just quit a few days later. Good sales people get fired after they were praised the week before and then management offers their job to us the next day. After a few months of this job you will be tired of saying the same thing over and over again on the phone. You will speak with duped customers that are not happy. Only take this job if you are desperate or waiting for a good job to come your way.

9 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Work is depressing, perks and benefits are great

Nov 28, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Spokeo values its employees and tries to keep them on with cheap perks like catered lunch, unlimited snacks, and fun events at restaurants and bars. The health benefits are excellent, even for low-level customer service employees. The culture of the company is very positive and welcoming, so it's easy to make friends and feel like you're part of a business that really values you. The opportunity for overtime is great as well.

Cons

Spokeo wants to be a Google-level tech company, but is actually a rather sleazy site that markets itself unethically and bills people in a very deceitful way. Spokeo, like many other websites that provide the same service, markets itself as a complete background check/'is he cheating on you?'/contact information lookup service, but in reality, the quality of information that the Spokeo provides is terrible. The site makes its money by fooling people into starting $.99 "free trials," and then bills them ad nauseum without the customer's knowledge. Spokeo hides its billing terms and pricing information on the site, and the site makes no effort to remind customers that they have active service and are being billed monthly (sometimes for years). The web designers, marketers, and SEO team are very aware of what they are doing. The 'customer care team' exists to mitigate refunds and credit card charge-backs from the multitude of dissatisfied customers that call in daily. It is depressing to hear the same call 60 times a day while maintaining the at-work facade of a positive, engaged employee. Call center employees literally vomit from the stress and drink on the job to cope. This is not hyperbole or exaggeration. It is difficult to move up in the company to any meaningful degree. Promotion opportunities are rare, and when they pop-up, they offer a small pay increase with little value in improving your skills.

9 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Company, Great Experience

Aug 26, 2015 - Customer Care Representative in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My time at Spokeo has given me a number of great experiences. Like other reviews have mentioned, one of the biggest elements to Spokeo is its culture. Spokeo goes above and beyond to create a work environment that is welcoming and enjoyable. The catered lunches, benefits, and social events are all things that make Spokeo as unique as it is. Another aspect to Spokeo’s culture is the how they have implemented multiple ways for their employees to get involved and be able to contribute. I was personally able to participate in the Culture Committee and the Spokeo Scholarship Program. These were opportunities where I felt like my voice was being heard and the suggestions of those around me could be taken into consideration. Finally, the connections I was able to create at Spokeo are invaluable. There are some genuinely incredible people working there if you take the time to get to know them. I was able to interact with people within my department and other departments as well and learn about the people who make up the culture of Spokeo. Everyone’s experience is different but it really comes down to this: What you put into your time at Spokeo is what you’ll get out of it. Yes the job can be stressful but the opportunities and experiences available here can balance that out if someone chooses to get involved.

Cons

I would say the biggest downside is currently the limited potential for growth. I have seen so much potential come in and out of Customer Care without ever having the chance to be fully utilized. There are so many different departments for people to put their skills and abilities to good use, but they’re restricted by how few positions are available.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0

TL;DR - Would Not Recommend

Jan 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros: - Great perks, amazing insurance benefits. - Fully stocked kitchen with a plethora of snacks and drinks, daily catered lunches, lots of company sponsored events.
 - You will never, ever find another workplace culture as relaxed as this one.

Cons

The Product and the Business Model - Is it a people search? A mobile caller ID app? A family tree making project? A source to append missing social data? Half of the people working here don’t believe that Spokeo actually helps reunite anyone, and none of Spokeo’s ideas are original. Rather, they appear to be an amalgamation of multiple companies that already exist. - Just like other reviews have stated, the billing practices that Spokeo utilizes is deceitful and completely user-unfriendly. The Founders and higher ups need to sit down with Customer Care and listen to the calls that come in from customers who have been duped into paying unconscionable amounts of money for monthly subscriptions or upsells they weren't aware they even signed up for. - "Is He Cheating on You?" This marketing tactic and tagline ethically fails beyond all measure. It is inconceivable how one would uncover if their significant other was cheating on them by simply searching an email or username. All that would return (if anything, due to Spokeo's terrible data quality) would be social media accounts and photos--which the user would likely already know about. This marketing scheme preys on unsuspecting individuals who aren't tech-savvy, but are desperate for answers. This is but one of the many horrendous marketing strategies Spokeo employs. The Culture Blatant Favoritism: - No matter how hard you work, don't expect any type of recognition, acceptable raise, or promotion, unless you obsequiously brown-nose your way to the top. You can be an employee who has worked here for years, but if you refuse to play into the politics, or suck up to your boss(es), then forget about ever advancing your career.
 - "The Inner Circle”: spouses, siblings, old friends, employees who have been working at Spokeo from the beginning--all get special treatment and essentially run this company. They lead or manage projects without having the proper qualifications expected of an outside hire and are even allowed by The Founders to come back and hang out at the office after being FIRED. Zero Accountability: - Some employees come in around 10-11, leave by 5:30, and are gone from their desks for exorbitant amounts of time during the day. Certain individuals also spend hours playing games in the lounge. - Managers either don't notice, turn a blind eye to individuals they are friends with, or don't care enough to say something to address this glaringly obvious issue. It is the norm at Spokeo to go to someone's desk, and have to ask "Where is ___?" multiple times a day. - This lax environment promotes a culture of unproductiveness and animosity within and between teams. Managers/Founders Out of Touch with their Employees: - Most managers have no idea or don't care about the issues that their employees face on a day to day basis. They truly believe that their employees are happy because individuals can't speak up about the issues that come with working at Spokeo. If you go against the grain and say something, you risk becoming a pariah, and your managers/leads/other teammates who buy into the cult mentality, will treat you like an outsider. (This can mean lower raises/bonuses than the rest of your team, open disrespect, and limited to no opportunities for advancement—even if you deserve it). - Some managers care more about how they appear to the Founders, than protecting the interests of the people they manage. - Manager/employee one-on-ones are mandatory, but don't fool yourself into believing this is a safe form of communication. There is NO forum to voice your thoughts and concerns without being ostracized for it, so people come to Glassdoor instead (though there will likely be fake positive reviews to follow this one). Drinking on the Job: - This is totally acceptable, and goes unpunished, even when employees return completely drunk from lunches, or get sloshed at work (excluding Customer Care, who are the only department with strict rules on alcohol consumption). Misogynistic and Distasteful Jokes:
 - It is completely normal at Spokeo to hear people use the R word to joke about someone with disabilities, openly make sexist jokes about women, or shout at others to shut up when in disagreement. - Once again, no manager, lead, or higher up does anything to prevent this from taking place. Instead, they choose to further perpetuate this insensitivity by proclaiming the all too familiar mantra: "This is just Spokeo's one-of-a-kind culture”.

11 people found this review helpful