KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Spokeo Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated Oct 13, 2020

Found 21 of over 134 reviews

4.0
Spokeo CEO Harrison Tang  (no image)
Harrison Tang
Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, themed rooms and teams, great supportive staff, friendly environment, room for advance(in 22 reviews)

• "There's free lunch here and they pay for your free conference every year(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "WFH option was only offered to Customer Care following COVID(in 9 reviews)

• "No standardized work from home policy(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Supportive Management and Excellent Co-Workers

Sep 15, 2020 - Chargeback Analyst in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Responsive and transparent management 2. Supportive and encouraging teammates 3. Nurturing environment 4. Free lunch and snacks

Cons

While the departments communicate well, Customer Care is on a different floor. From prior experience at other companies, teams work better in the same physical space.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful

VP of Operations

Thank you very much for the feedback! We are so glad that you feel the support from the team and our management. We strive very hard to provide a supportive and nurturing work environment. We understand that some team members may find it difficult to communicate with other teams due to the physical location of the seating arrangements. Now that we are all working remotely due to Covid-19, we highly recommend you to make use of Slack and Zoom to reach out to other team members and stay in touch. In particular, please participate in the #culture channel on Slack where you can join other teammates on Virtual Coffee Breaks and after-hour chats. The Culture team has also set up a #culture-donut channel to pair up team members from different departments every 2 weeks. You will be randomly paired with another team member and have a chance to chat or connect online for a quick conversation. Hope you continue to enjoy your Spokeo life!

2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Poor Management & Shady Business Model

Oct 13, 2020 - Customer Care
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, fun events, good healthcare

Cons

Bad culture, not much room for promotions or growth opportunities, promoting based on popularity not skill set, and unfair compensation.

Director of Customer Care

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Given our substantially low turnover in the past two years, we understand that there may not be many advancement opportunities within the customer care department. However, we are proud to say that the current customer care leadership team are people who’ve been internally promoted from within the department. We are committed to our team’s growth and whenever there is an opening in the leadership and operations teams within the department, we always give priority to internal promotion as opposed to hiring externally. All internal promotion processes are formal and similar to the external hiring process, which often includes written assessment, face-to-face interviews, and sometimes, situational tests. Over the last year, we have also introduced new cross-training programs to the team as a way to foster more growth within each role and to expand the team’s skillsets and knowledge. In addition to this, as a company, we have a process in place to evaluate and review compensation against market rate and industry standards in order to remain competitive. We are always open to learning about our teammates’ individual career goals and will continue to support their professional development and growth. Thank you again for your feedback!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This place starts out as a great place to work. It only gets better from there.

Apr 23, 2019 - Customer Care Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

The amount of coaching and support that is provided to Customer Care Reps is unrivaled. Yes, there is free lunch. Yes, there is great people to work with on interesting problems. Yes, there is the opportunity to help people. Yes, there is opportunity to have an impact.

Cons

Dealing with unruly customers can be tough and draining.

Director of Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear of your great experiences here at Spokeo. We understand that solving our customer's challenges require the best parts of you. This is why we have on-going training and coaching to continuously support you and your work here at Spokeo. Thank you for helping our customers and resolve their questions, solve their problems and, most of all, thank you for being an essential part of the Spokeo team!

4. 1.0

Poor middle management

Feb 27, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Snack - Free lunch - Good Insurance - Founders and C-level at least are trying very hard to stir the company to the right direction

Cons

- C-level are very disconnected from what is really going but at the same time trying very hard to be involved - Endless meaningless meeting where middle management trying to put up an act in front of the C-level when there is really not much going on - Incompetent directors and VP level managers

7 people found this review helpful

Director

Thank you for making time to share some of your views here. Spokeo has a great history as a boot-strapped, founder-led company for over 12 years. Aside from the great perks you mention, the active involvement and leadership of the executive team remain a key component of the company from launch to now. As Spokeo has grown and is now taking on even bigger opportunities, the need is front and center: from redefining a function’s operational excellence to expecting more from people leaders. Spokeo is definitely holding more meetings: ranging from training workshops to discussions openly questioning the best solution to a problem and to holding follow-up meetings to gain alignment on a crucial issue. We are electing to work harder at understanding each other rather than making assumptions. The importance to us of socializing, educating, and then communicating means an investment of time to understand and align on things. We want to bring everyone at Spokeo along on and to have a voice in our mission to make the world around us more transparent.

5. 4.0

My experience at Spokeo

May 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch - great vendors and lots of food Tons of snacks and drinks Basketball, ping pong table, video games Lots of company sponsored events Open environment - what I mean is, suggestions are welcome from anywhere, any employee- the suggestions might not always work or people might not always agree with the suggestions, but they will be listened to Reviews every 6 months - lots of feedback, you will always know where you stand (some people may take this as a con) Relaxed dress code

Cons

Things change a lot, and pretty quickly - you must be adaptable to changing environment There are lots of meetings. It can be tough booking a conference room or getting people together Not as many events/ celebrations as there use to be

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee

An excellent place to work for, with lots of perks!

Jun 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- 401k - free lunch - company events, conference 1/year - very strong engineering team, with a tech stack that is very stable - solid process, QA team is very good, they work really hard - strong dev ops team, very reliable, very friendly too! - very enthusiastic, and excellent culture team - lots of really good devs from top engineering schools (berkeley, stanford, etc. :P) - plenty of pto, and sick days - bike racks - gym reimbursement - vp of engineering, very down to earth, passionate, works very hard, and always in touch with devs - same for ceo

Cons

- 'flexible working hours' but stand-up is mandatory, and too early - competitive salary trailing silicon beach salary, but salary is still really good - lots of skilled developers, some have worked here for many years, but only a few promotions - changing company culture, could use some distractions in the office, growing a little bureaucratic, need ice cream

Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy our variety of perks! We strive to provide our management team and leaders with the skills necessary to create a productive and innovative work environment. We feel we’ve grown in this space, but will always aim to continue improving.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

They make you think it's an amazing place to work

Jan 3, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch everyday and fully stocked break room.

Cons

Poor business practices. Customers call pissed all the time because they lie about the subscription. Then the reps have to try to refund the least amount of money possible.

7 people found this review helpful

Director of Customer Care

Thank you for your feedback. Our Customer Care team is the first point of contact for many Spokeo customers, and the team endeavors to facilitate a positive and successful Spokeo customer experience. We strive to provide a unique and customized experience for anyone that reaches our contact center, and our Customer Care team continues to find new ways to improve this process while keeping customers’ needs and satisfaction in mind. We will consider your feedback as we work to improve our process and service.

8. 4.0

Fun Work Environment

Sep 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Spokeo has created a great work environment for their employees. The office is set up in a way that allows for friendships to be built around positive interaction. I have never worked outside of a corporate style environment where cubicles separate people from one another. Spokeo has opened my eyes to something greater. There is an open environment and cross-functional teams. Everyone knows each other well because of this. The office does not promote hierarchy in any way which is reflected through this type of environment. Pros: free lunches every day, game tables in the lounge, gaming consoles, tv's around the office, unlimited snacks and beverages, spirit days, sitting/standing desks, team bonding experiences, 401K, full employee benefits sponsored by the company, founders who are invested in their product

Cons

We don't have a Fort Nite group yet & we need a billiards tournament, Culture.

9. 1.0

Horrible company

Oct 9, 2014 - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's very easy to be hired because of high turnover. The perks, including free lunch almost counteract the nightmarish day to day reality of working at the place. Would be good as a job one might have for a couple of months.

Cons

This company is horrible mismanaged and acquires all of their money via deceptive marketing tactics that anger "customer" base. There is no interest in improving the product, and the only changes that ever happen to the site are because the designers want to blindly follow current trends in webdesign. The customer service department is managed by a man who throws tantrums, often screaming and swearing , very loudly and publicly into the phone or at overworked underlings. The script for dealing with angry "customers" who call demanding their money back has changed so that phone reps have to make the customers jump through dozens of hoops to get their money back, morphing the entire experience into a Comcast-level of customer service. There is very much a frat house vibe to the entire place, with managers running around on razor scooters, shooting nerf guns as the people at the bottom toil away, enduring daily harassment from customers.

18 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment, great culture!

Sep 5, 2018 - Software Developer in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with the engineering team. Great environment to work, Spokeo gives you all you need to get the job done. Very transparent and a flat structure, your opinion matters and its heard. A lot of room for growth, you are given the freedom to influence your career path. Pay is very reasonable and there is room for a pay raise every 6 months. Free lunch, great benefits!

Cons

No 401k company match No standardized work from home policy

3 people found this review helpful