KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Spokeo Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Oct 4, 2018

Found 6 of over 134 reviews

4.0
Spokeo CEO Harrison Tang  (no image)
Harrison Tang
Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, themed rooms and teams, great supportive staff, friendly environment, room for advance(in 22 reviews)

• "There's free lunch here and they pay for your free conference every year(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "WFH option was only offered to Customer Care following COVID(in 9 reviews)

• "No standardized work from home policy(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work, lots to learn

Oct 4, 2018 - Senior DevOps Engineer in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lot of flexibility, they encourage learning new things and implementing any new technology that can help the company. There are very few red tape blocks, and the culture is awesome. Free food of excellent quality, and understanding management.

Cons

Previously no work from home policy, however that has recently changed. So there aren't many cons.

4 people found this review helpful

Spokeo Response

CIO

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights! I'm glad to hear of the great experience you've had so far as we pave the way to building cool and exciting technologies. You are correct that we recently adopted a work-from-home policy and we'll continue to look for ways to improve and build a workplace for fostering new ideas and tackling rewarding challenges.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growing technology company, great especially for software engineers

Feb 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can only speak to the engineering side of Spokeo (full disclosure: I am an engineering manager). Here are the pros of working at Spokeo: - Great work-life balance. We work hard while in the office and rarely need to work nights and weekends. - Technical growth opportunities. The company is growing and we have more projects than we do developers. This means that motivated and smart developers can join and take on larger projects if they demonstrate ability. - We care about our code. Our site receives tens of millions of visitors each month, so we don't write throwaway code (or if we do, we consider carefully). We employ code reviews, unit and integration tests, code climate, architecture reviews, pair programming, mob refactoring, and (as much as possible) TDD. - We like working with each other. People keep their egos in check here, we work hard but don't take ourselves too seriously. Ad-hoc discussions about architecture, design, and code quality occur every day. Decisions are made based on technical merit not seniority. And after hours we are known to play basketball, magic the gathering, and smash bros. - We are constantly improving. We send developers to conferences each year and are always considering newer technology to use in our site (such as Angular.js). We want to see developers work on projects of increasing complexity and assign tasks accordingly.

Cons

We're still developing best practices for our development process, going through the growing pains of transitioning from a startup to a mid-size company, so those who like more structure may be disappointed. Currently there is no work from home policy. We have an open floor plan and collaboration is expected, so those looking for a more quiet, isolated environment may not be the best fit.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment, great culture!

Sep 5, 2018 - Software Developer in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with the engineering team. Great environment to work, Spokeo gives you all you need to get the job done. Very transparent and a flat structure, your opinion matters and its heard. A lot of room for growth, you are given the freedom to influence your career path. Pay is very reasonable and there is room for a pay raise every 6 months. Free lunch, great benefits!

Cons

No 401k company match No standardized work from home policy

Continue reading
      3 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee

Nepotism. Favoritism. Toxic Environment. Retaliation.

Jan 31, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture team works hard to do what they can to counteract the toxic environment created by the Founders. Therefore, great catered lunches, themed celebrations, monthly food perks, great parties, awesome decorated meeting rooms. - Talented and sharp leadership reporting into the Founders. Top-notch, experienced leaders from impressive companies hired to run departments. However, the Founders won’t allow the leaders to lead, as they don’t trust that anyone could know more than them. - Excellent health benefits. - Casual dress work environment.

Cons

- Lawsuit-riddled company due to shady business practices, and horrible decision making at the CEO and Founder level. Lawsuits from customers, as well as outcasted co-founder (on the ground of retaliation from other co-founders), in addition to a very public Supreme Court case. - Extreme and blatant nepotism. There is a minefield of personal relationships to the Founders that you have to uncover when you work here. Those that are personal friends, relatives through blood and marriage, and early employees make up what people refer to as the “inner circle”. The “inner circle” bullies their way through the company, treating people in poor ways, some of them even proudly refusing to do work, but the Founders will turn a blind eye and even tell those trying to manage them that these employees are allowed to act that way because they have been here longer and they want to repay them for staying with them this long. And if any one person in the inner circle decides they don’t like you (usually because you shine a lot on their bullying), then the rest of the circle decides that you are on the black list and treat you as such. - Retaliation form the Founders that you can never recover from if you “whistleblow” on any of the unprofessional behaviors of the inner circle, or if you dare disagree with any of the Founders’ ideas on development, product, design, culture, you name it. Think you can get back in their good graces by working hard, putting in long hours, doing well at your job, and having a good attitude? Nope. You’ve sealed your fate for as long as you are at Spokeo. - Because the Founders don’t trust anyone to do their jobs, there is a dog-eat-dog culture created from the top down, where people are just looking for a pat on the back and will sacrifice their peers or subordinates to get those accolades. This creates an incredibly toxic environment where people are constantly worried if they are going to get fired, where they hear gossip that the Founders are telling others about them, and where everyone sees each other as competition instead of community. - Micromanagement due to Founder arrogance. Super talented people work at Spokeo yet none of them are able to fully do their jobs since the Founders think they know better than any subject matter expert, and therefore micromanage the employees. And if you go against them, prepare for the retaliation (see point above). So even the most talented people become disengaged and disenchanted to survive in their role. They give up on their own ideas, follow the direction of the Founders out of fear of retaliation, and then suffer through the blame that lands on them when the results of the Founders’ ideas are not successful. No one will speak up out of fear of retaliation. - False advertising of the job. It’s easy to get mesmerized by the promise of great culture, “flexible” hours, and a twice a year review cycle that could result in continual raises. The culture team tries to create a great culture, but they are only able to change the secondary culture. The job and core company culture is what needs fixing. No amount of parties or perks will make that okay. The flexible work hours mean that you are told you can come in at different times as long as you work your 8 hours. What they don’t tell you is that you are offered flexible work hours, but if you take advantage of them you are screwed. Come in earlier so that you can leave earlier? They will talk about how you leave too early. And ONLY worked 8 hours. But if you come in super late and leave super late, and barely work 8 hours? Rockstar. Go for a lunch that is a little too long, or leave during the day for a doctor’s appointment, or dare ask to work from home? Get ready to be talked about. And the twice a year reviews with promises of raises, and assurances that your low starting pay will be fixed during those times? Not going to happen unless you find a way to get yourself into the inner circle.

Continue reading
      17 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Young execs with big egos

Jul 21, 2013 - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally nice & fun people, startup feel, pool table, ping pong, 18 PTO days. Annual bonus.

Cons

Run by a group of stanford grads who believe they know everything. Find yourself berated if your opinion differs from one of the founders. Only 6 vacation days. Never allowed to work from home. Strict PTO enforcement. Lack of communication. Benefits are so-so.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Fair place to work

Nov 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, Good people to work with

Cons

no work from home policy be extracted by unexpected works

2 people found this review helpful

Spokeo Response

Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the free lunch and the people you work with! Spokeo believes in the power of community and collaboration. It is important to us that team members be present to collaborate face-to-face as we feel this is how the most creative, resourceful, and innovative ideas come together.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews