Sponsors For Educational Opportunity Reviews | Glassdoor

William A. Good­loe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Heavy Pros, Heavy Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rapidly expanding so there is room for growth, depending on the department and how much you advocate from the beginning pay is good, absolutely incredible students, wonderful coworkers who are passionate about the work

Cons

Very political. Low morale in departments and heavy mismanagement by executive teams. Very long hours are expected with little appreciation or compensation accordingly. Few opportunities for middle or lower level staff to request change from managers. Very difficult for staff to be fired. No work life balance. No transparency across departments and extreme varying salaries even among people in the same department with the same title. Focused more on external factors and return on investment than best interest of students at times. Can be very frustrating to work with- departments often implode and require entire overhaul of staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff that is working directly with students. They are the bread and butter. Focus on staff retention from the top down, and make that effort known in both words and actions.

"Toxic, nasty, unethical work environment and practices"

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission and students are the only pro about SEO.

Cons

The work environment and continued lack of professionalism by senior management is the very model of a toxic work environment case study. Lack of collaboration, disengaged from staff, staff undercutting each other, rampant gossip, backstapping culture, revolving door of good people, senior management has zero concept on how to manage and lead. Self-centeredness is rampant and is definitive of how senior staff operates. For a diversity focused organization, management has little to no sensitivity when it comes to diversity and inclusion. The overall organization disregards the concept of confidentiality.

Advice to Management

This organization has a heartfelt mission and senior staff's self-absorbed attitudes are destroying this gem.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY

I have been working at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

it is very flexible with time and has a good work life balance. Team is very nice efforts do not go unnoticed and it is very easy to talk to management.

Cons

Wish there was a way to cross train and learn more than the role you was given.

Advice to Management

none great management

"Senior Management Create Repressive Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

3 Summer Fridays, interaction with students, positive mission statement

Cons

Lack of consistency, lack of communication, attitude of senior management is repressive, rampant favoritism, sketchy work practices and bias

Advice to Management

It is time for senior management to leave. Attitude and work practices are antiquated. Management needs to create an inclusive and collaborative environment.

"New York's Undiscovered Gem"

I have been working at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time

Pros

There are a lot of organizations dedicated to student equity and college access, but truly none has the results that SEO does. The amount of care and dedication put into their programming is incredible and the results speak for themselves: 100% of SEO Scholars are accepted to college, and 95% graduate. Beyond working with some of the most incredible students in NYC, the staff at SEO is a strong draw. Approachable, intelligent, and beyond dedicated to the program and its students. Management is supportive but also let's you take ownership of your projects and create and make a lasting impact.

Plus the organization is growing at an incredible rate, so they are actively looking for people who can help them continue to raise the bar.

Cons

People are incredibly dedicated to the work and the students, so work days frequently linger past 6. Initially, I was hesitant about the Tuesday-Saturday schedule that some positions require, but Saturday Academy is a true highlight of my experience. I look forward to spending a full day with the students all week long

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The kids are amazing! They are intelligent, sweet and curious. Most team members are dedicated to the kids and really care about them. The program is the answer to many problems in education.

Cons

Leadership lacks the ability to compensate the staff for their hard work. We are expected to work extremely hard for low wages. Also, the leadership is beginning to look at our kids as a business. It's a serious problem.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better Or give most comp time. Make the staff feel appreciated for the numerous hours we spend with these kids. Allow people have determine their own work/life balance.

7. "Great"

I worked at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity part-time

Pros

Kids are dynamite but you need experience in classroom management, or it'll take longer for you to get your work done and you likely won't enjoy it.

Cons

Turnaround on grading is a bit too quick.

8. "Program staff"

I have been working at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time

Pros

High expectations of young people in all programs and willing to do what it takes to help them meet those expectations. Flexible and understanding managers who are invested in your success and growth within org. Really nice and passionate people work here

Cons

some openings are not filled fast enough - sort of understand because better to have role vacant than hire wrong person. this sometimes causes strain on remaining staff but at same time pulls us together

Advice to Management

figure out how to fill open positions faster

"Toxic Work Environment and Managers"

I worked at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time

Pros

Kids are great and really benefit from the program.

Cons

It's hard to fully describe how toxic this place is. It's sad that a place that does so many great things for low income students could be so horrible to their employees. Completely unrealistic work hours, no work life balance, and employees are told they are lazy when they speak up about it. My manager took a lot out on me and was, frankly, emotionally abusive. I knew that being treated like this wasn't worth it, especially when I could make the same salary somewhere else with reasonable work hours.

Advice to Management

Provide trainings for you managers. Multiple employees have left under managers because they are so draining to work for. At a certain point, you have to realize, it's not the employees. It's the manager that's a problem.

"High School Scholars Team"

I have been working at Sponsors For Educational Opportunity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think it would be really nice to work there part time. I regret that wasn't the step I took. Also, the kids are lovely and driven.

Cons

Work life balance is impossible. People are expected to 8pm, never eat lunch away from your desk, and the hours are extremely draining. Managers are provide very little support and guidance, and can be downright mean. There are a lot of personal conflicts, gossip, and drama in the office. A lot of people are really unhappy here and management doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

There is a reason there's such high turnover here.