Sport Clips Cosmetologist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Sport Clips CEO and Director Gordon B. Logan
Gordon B. Logan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Family-like atmosphere, flexible scheduling and great pay" (in 62 reviews)

• "Health Insurance, great tips, continuing education" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "have to be able to work nights and weekends" (in 17 reviews)

• "I have no cons about my company" (in 35 reviews)

1. "Best company to work for"

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the other employees, great training, awesome products, fun company meetings, great procedures and policies, good store hours, system of overall way it is ran and operated

Cons

Employees do not stay working for company very long

Advice to Management

Explain to employees that when at work you are a manager and outside of work you can be friends but to not get upset when you are doing your job while at work.

Nov 29, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your time with us and for your review. We wish you the best!

"Great if you like assembly line"

Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Paducah, KY
    Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Paducah, KY

I worked at Sport Clips part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips
    Plenty of customers
    Comfortable dress
    No appointments
    No downtime

Cons

Micromanaged
    Athletic pants as a uniform requirement usually translating to tight leggings
    Some disrespectful customers
    Very few breaks
    State required information for employees is not posted or is not posted in the correct place.

Advice to Management

I was only with this company for about 6 weeks. The hiring and firing process seemed very erratic. One day one would think their job position was pretty secure, and they could be fired the next day for any reason (cut times, a negative review over a haircut, not getting enough back bar/shampoo upgrades, etc.) This salon seems to have the highest turnover rate of any salon in the area. It seems that the micro managing starts at the top and trickles down to the stylist which becomes discouraging fast. I would not recommend working here unless you are very comfortable with an assembly line type of environment where a short break is almost discouraged and you have to wear a certain type of outfit that seems to cheapen the profession.
    Also, there is a training video online for employees that is very cheesy, the stylist in the video sounds like a bimbo that loves catering to men a little too much.

Nov 9, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that Sport Clips was not a fit for you. Your feedback is valuable and we are sharing it with the appropriate party.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Cosmetologist/Stylist in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist/Stylist in Wichita, KS

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Walk in traffic, demographics, pay.

Cons

Management, owner, no room to grow and extremely competitive.

Advice to Management

The employees shouldn't be favored. The management shouldn't be allowed to sit or pick and choose when they want to work. The management and employees seem very clique-esque and gossip A LOT about other employees. Not a friendly place to work at all.

Oct 26, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. it saddens us to hear about your experience, for it is not in alignment with our values and standards at Sport Clips. Thank you for the time... More

4. "....."

Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have fun while doing what you love.

Cons

You shouldn't be forced to sell product.

Advice to Management

none.

5. "GREAT POSITIVE STORE MANAGER = LOVELY ATMOSPHERE OF A WELCOMING TEAM"

Former Employee - Fresh Out of School Licensed Cosmetologist in Clarksville, IN
    Former Employee - Fresh Out of School Licensed Cosmetologist in Clarksville, IN

I worked at Sport Clips part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I must say my experience was very brief, I love the way I wasn't judged as the new hire or for example "Not a typical salon click". Very professional, I admire how the store was ran and how sweet the girls are and it all started because of the AWESOME and very talented, strong willed manager "Jessica"! So with that said I think the Pros are absolutely a warm-hearted team of professional Ladies to be around! Honestly, I was shy and nervous and when I get that way I talk alot, well I NEVER heard any gossiping about "The New Girl"... Instead I was smiled at and welcomed with great tips on ways to do things to make it easier and less timely and everyone of those Ladies said to me "Come ask me if you need anything ok" which is why I had to make this review so I will never forget my few days even though I had a lot going on, I felt like I needed to be around those type of Women to help me get through my personal living situation or that I was placed there and given a chance to escape but Importantly I had a chance to be guided and supported even when I just can't explain details that is not so uplifting. The Owner was very down to earth and I have to say because of the Kindness that is attached to his store in Clarksville, In. sure is something to return too..... Pros- Great Foundation of Leaders and the time went so fast from the nice conversations I heard to how fast they really do cut!!! Oh' for you guys, the name speaks enough, they truly have plenty of TV's with SPORTS on so stop by!!!!Again it's a great place and perfect cuts, fades, etc. Even hot steamed towels with a massage, you will be in Heaven!!! Thank you!

Cons

I feel the only Cons are all my words to read, Lol but I have nothing negative to say but I wished I was in a better home and closer to the salon because I will never forget my blessing and how I feel I'll never have a chance again with a super understanding Manager who see's good, and again a lovely group of successful, sweet ladies to work with. If I could really say to the people who are gonna review this truly how short/brief I was there but it was a little peace of joy to remember.... I'll always wish I had more time!!! God Bless!!!

Advice to Management

Jessica, Thank you for looking past what I confided to you. You are a very sweet, and most of all, Your a Hell of a SPORT Clips Manager and I see you having a bright future!!! Hey, maybe you will be a owner one day! You definitely are a "Leader" and a wonderful role-model. I'm grateful to have had a chance and will never forget YOU!

6. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist
    Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ongoing education
    friendly coworkers
    they work with you to better yourself

Cons

there are none at this time

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist
    Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist

I worked at Sport Clips part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management was very knowledgeable about running a salon

Cons

There is none that I can think of

"Stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist, Cosmetologist in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Stylist, Cosmetologist in Canton, GA

Pros

If you hit all three qualifications for commission you get a pay increase but very difficult to reach.

Cons

The store I worked for was being run by 2 assistant managers one very insecure about her role as a asistant manager. Always trying to flex her role as boss yet taking no responsibility for the hard calls and rules. It was always I am only the assistant manager so I am not sure. The other never cleaned anything would leave hair in huge piles and just walk out with it everywhere and take lunch hour and a half with it still there. Yet many days I did not even get to sit down during a 8 hour shift. Manager quit so they were left in charge they were very bi polar one super ocd the other extremely lazy.

Advice to Management

Get one. Assistants were harsh and they were not confident leaders so they keep trying to show dominance over employees that intimidated them. Area manager was definitely up to par, wish I worked at her store. Conflict with assistant managers was constant poor training poor communication skills unorganized and very cultured. Just because you cut hair fast and accurate dose not make you a good manager you should learn "drive through talking" and care about new stylist not just yourself.

9. "Key holder"

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Pikesville, MD
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Pikesville, MD

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love cutting hair clients are ok

Cons

Slow location bad tips clients come in last minute

10. "Great Job if you can deal with men all day"

Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Marion, IL

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay great management great coworkers good hours

Cons

Only men's hair, no benefits