Sport Clips Stylist/Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Sport Clips CEO and Director Gordon B. Logan
Gordon B. Logan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Family-like atmosphere, flexible scheduling and great pay" (in 62 reviews)

• "Health Insurance, great tips, continuing education" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "have to be able to work nights and weekends" (in 17 reviews)

• "I have no cons about my company" (in 35 reviews)

1. "Stylist/manager"

Former Employee - Stylist/Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Stylist/Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great tips. No chemicals. Steady work

Cons

Rush times .cant eat or drink

2. "Sweat shop"

Former Employee - Stylist/Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist/Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are generally cool. Hopefully you like them because you will be around them a lot.

Cons

Pay isn’t good. Their metric system really screws you for your numbers. You are constantly working and the owners have never even done hair so they have no idea what it’s like standing on your feet all day with no breaks. They tell you when hired that in Texas they don’t have to give you breaks and they mean that. Clients are generally great and tip pretty good depending on what location you are at. Main cons is pay and overworked.

Advice to Management

Cuts per hour is crap and shouldn’t be a metric based off the fact that if no one comes in it shouldn’t make or break my bonuses or benefits because I have to clock out so my numbers don’t get messed up which means I’m not getting paid while I’m there.

"working here."

Current Employee - Stylist/Assistant Manager in Belton, MO
    Current Employee - Stylist/Assistant Manager in Belton, MO

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have made a second family at my store, and loads of other friends from other stores i have gone to work at when they need help.

My owners are amazing, and always want to make sure you're happy. If for some reason you aren't, they will do everything they can to make happy to work here, to help you, and motivate you.

Pay is great and I love my hours!

Management is great as well, they are always willing to lend a hand and help you in any way possible.

There is continued education classes to always keep you up to date on the newest products and styles and techniques.

There are great chances to move up in the company as well. I was a Stylist for less then a year before I received my promotion.
    Everything, and all your hard work and concerns are always heard and noticed, Really.

I have found a life long career here with this company!!

Cons

You do have to work weekends and some nights, and some Holidays... However, we close early on early on weekends so that way you can still have plenty of time to enjoy you're weekend doing what ever. Most managers also will rotate stylist so that way people get some weekends off. We are closed on most major Holidays so that way you can spend them with your family.
    The cons are barely cons at all.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and making this a great place/company to work for.

4. "AMAZING COMPANY!!!"

Current Employee - Manager/Stylist in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Manager/Stylist in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TRULY supportive team leader and stylist. Tons of education! Clients are family, and such a fun environment! Upper management always available for support and encouragement! Stylist have many ways to advance within the company!

Cons

Absolutely none. I love an fully support my company!

"Unfair Environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Stylist in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Stylist in McKinney, TX

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Built in clientele-some locations busy and can make ok wages

Cons

Favoritism shown to whatever employee the owner is physically attracted. Your experience and credentials don't play a factor into career advancement, fairness and credibility.

Advice to Management

Advice to owner: Stop thinking with the wrong head. Advice to management: just because you have the title, doesn't mean you are qualified for the position. And most of the time you're aware of that!

"*GA147* ....expect good things from Sport Clips of Cartersville! Overall SC is an AMAZING CO. to be apart of!"

Current Employee - Stylist/Assistant Manager in Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Stylist/Assistant Manager in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Sport Clips part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, fun atmosphere! Who doesn't love sports and comfy attire while making money? Always room for growth within the company, because of the great training programs available. Opportunity to bonus every paycheck with fast-paced store.

Cons

Retirement, medical benefits are minimal.
    *Skills, experience and success in the salon should be considered/evaluated for hourly- pay increases. Overall, I'm a very happy employee.!!

Advice to Management

Continue the stylist training, there is always room for improvement. Also, keep the atmosphere fun, it makes the customer experience much better!

"Doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Stylist/Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Stylist/Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great tips but they tax you on them so they are really not yours ..nice talking to the men ..nice making them feel good about there haircut ..that's the only thing that kept me working there was the men other then that I would have not stayed

Cons

Long hours they expect you to slave and sale things and go fast on haircuts like a robot which we are not ..the men hate that we cut fast and actually prefer quality or quantity.they don't care about there employees they fire you as soon as you don't sale product and cut hair in 15 minutes be aware don't apply !!! Or if you do don't stay before you get fired !!!!!! - Indianapolis Indiana /brownsburg

Advice to Management

Nothing they don't care why waste your breath

"Manager/Stylist"

Current Employee - Manager Stylist in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Stylist in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working for this company. Have been with SC for over 4 yrs. Promoted to assistant manager within a year. Moved up to a store manager in 2 years. Lots of free education and opportunity for $$. If you follow the system you are guaranteed success.

Cons

Working with predominantly female staff can be difficult at times. Being in uniform leaves little room for self expression, but it helps in not ruining your nice clothes.

9. "Sport Clips"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Stylist in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Stylist in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Sport Clips (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great clients, sports all day.

Cons

For me personally, the late hours are the only con.

10. "Manager & Stylist"

Current Employee - Manager/Hairstylist in Georgetown, TX
    Current Employee - Manager/Hairstylist in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-usually busy
    -good tips & clientele
    -bonuses for upselling services & retail
    -bonuses for store performance
    -comfortable uniform (workout gear: yoga pants, gym shoes etc)
    -laid back atmosphere
    -very few product lines (so you aren't overwhelmed learning too many different products that do the same things)

Cons

-disorganized Team Leaders
    -pay plan changes too often
    -some goals are unreachable
    -behind the times technology (POS system very glitchy, takes long for update fixes, no self check-ins, or online check-in)
    -paycheck errors at times
    -no mobile app
    -repairs in shop take awhile
    -no appointments (clients get angry when I have back to back requests and there is a long wait)
    -in management you must always be available, constant texts from employees/team leaders/other managers (never able to disconnect from work)
    -usually working a lot of hours covering staff that cannot work

Advice to Management

Update technology, create an app, and more useful website. Consider offering appointment options. Streamline the shop repairs (so we aren't scrounging for a contractor to fix things), make Team Leaders visit shops more often. Require team leaders of 3 or more stores to have an area manager. Team leaders are stretched too thin when they have multiple stores, plus a day job too (often times), so they're not as present as they need to be in each individual shop.