Sport Clips Reviews | Glassdoor

Sport Clips Reviews

Updated December 17, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Family-like atmosphere, flexible scheduling and great pay" (in 62 reviews)

• "Health Insurance, great tips, continuing education" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "have to be able to work nights and weekends" (in 17 reviews)

• "I have no cons about my company" (in 35 reviews)

1. "Excellent environment"

Pros

Training, supportive management team, fun environment

Cons

Not enough hours, store manager issues

Nov 9, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

We appreciate your review and re sad to see you are no longer with us. Please keep us in mind, in the future.

"Great if you like assembly line"

Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Paducah, KY
    Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Paducah, KY

I worked at Sport Clips part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips
    Plenty of customers
    Comfortable dress
    No appointments
    No downtime

Cons

Micromanaged
    Athletic pants as a uniform requirement usually translating to tight leggings
    Some disrespectful customers
    Very few breaks
    State required information for employees is not posted or is not posted in the correct place.

Advice to Management

I was only with this company for about 6 weeks. The hiring and firing process seemed very erratic. One day one would think their job position was pretty secure, and they could be fired the next day for any reason (cut times, a negative review over a haircut, not getting enough back bar/shampoo upgrades, etc.) This salon seems to have the highest turnover rate of any salon in the area. It seems that the micro managing starts at the top and trickles down to the stylist which becomes discouraging fast. I would not recommend working here unless you are very comfortable with an assembly line type of environment where a short break is almost discouraged and you have to wear a certain type of outfit that seems to cheapen the profession.
    Also, there is a training video online for employees that is very cheesy, the stylist in the video sounds like a bimbo that loves catering to men a little too much.

Nov 9, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that Sport Clips was not a fit for you. Your feedback is valuable and we are sharing it with the appropriate party.

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Stylist in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable uniforms
    Competitive pay
    Flexible schedule
    Ongoing training
    Good tips
    Nice clientele
    Advancement opportunities
    Family atmosphere

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I can see that management and owners are interested in the success of the shop. I feel that management and owners care about my personal advancement.

Oct 22, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review and commitment to Sport Clips!

"Former assistant manager down the drain."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Okemos, MI

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, sports themed environment, nice clientele, modern salon and technology

Cons

Bad management and culture, no appreciation

Advice to Management

I was offered the manager position at a new location opening in a few months, did all of the hiring process, bought a $600 laptop for scheduling, worked very hard and got told the day before my vacation by my “boss” that the owner changed his mind. I never talked to him so the manager at the current location was talking bad and lying about me the whole time. The manager wrote us up for every single little thing. I went home and cried every night because of so much pressure I was under. If my retail wasn’t up to par for the pay period, I’d get threatened of a write up. You had to walk on eggshells around her and pray that you didn’t upset her. I loved the money and how upbeat the theme was but constantly trying to make the manager happy, made me quit. 2 years exactly, down the drain because of the mistake they made by making her manager. She even said “I had to step on a lot of toes and get people fired to get this position.”

Nov 5, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review and our sincere apologies for your experience. We've sent your feedback to the appropriate party for review. Please keep in mind that there are other Sport Clips locations... More

"“Micro-Management”"

Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Sport Clips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Busy locations.
    -Growth Potentials.
    - Very clean workplace.
    - Athletic Uniforms somewhat comfortable.
    - Family like atmosphere.

Cons

- Micromanaging, To many “assistant managers, key holders, and senior stylists.” Makes consistenty on policies difficult to adhere to on a daily basis, depending on who you work with.
    - Pay start at $10, plus tips, tips left on cards get put on your paycheck’s so your tips get taxed out.
    - Trainng was pretty much a joke, I never got to learn how to run the computer I had to teach myself or constantly ask other stylist to help me that’s basically how I learned, all that was really cared about was the MVP and how fast you could cut somebody’s hair and get them out the door. I have been doing hair for almost 12 years so when my “selective manager” sat me down to talk about my numbers and goals I was told that all the company and the higher-ups just look at numbers, and I’m just a number to them and I could be terminated if I couldn’t up my cutting speed time.
    -That is when work started to become negative, It made it nerve racking when
    “selective managers” worked putting to much pressure on every haircut constantly looking at the computer for speeds.
    -Inconsistent breaks and schedules.
    -Short staffed so waiting time made clients upset then had to push to do MVPs after they waited an hour or more only irritated them more.
    - Bonusing is ridiculous and rare even with great product sales, back bar upgrades, if your cutting time is below there expectations you will NEVER bonus!

Advice to Management

Communication is key right? Maybe GroupMe is NOT the best way to communicate with your employees!
     I really did like working here and wanted to strive to be an assistant manager in the long run it’s just hard to communicate with so much inconsistency !

Oct 31, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time with us, and have sent your feedback to the appropriate party for review. Your experience does not align with Sport Clips standards and values; we... More

"Good hourly and tips."

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time

Pros

Good tips
    Decent hourly
    Some holidays off but not paid

Cons

No paid vacation
    No paid holidays
    Horrible health benefits
    Forced to sell a ridiculously high amount of product when store mgr sells nothing

Advice to Management

Do as you ask. Don't abuse your staff and your assistant just because you can't sell retail and pull your own numbers.

Oct 29, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience and that you are upset. Please discuss what is going on with your Area Coach/Manager or Team Leader. They will want to hear... More

7. "Stylist"

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time

Pros

Clients coworkers comfortable uniforms flexible schedule

Cons

Working like a machine

Oct 29, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review and for your dedication to Sport Clips. We appreciate you working the hours you do! Please communicate your schedule needs to your TL and Manager.

8. "ast manager stylist"

Pros

quick money unlike full service

Cons

no growth opprotunities unless you transfer owners

Oct 29, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Please connect with your Area Coach and TL about potential opportunities. We have some new career paths you might be interested in. We appreciate your commitment to... More

9. "Hairstylist"

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time

Pros

It was very good money. We always had cash tips.

Cons

We had to work long hours. I didnt get much of a break.

Oct 15, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review and your time with us at Sport Clips. Have a great week!

10. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Sanford, FL

I worked at Sport Clips part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, people and attitude

Cons

Speed, hours and time management

Advice to Management

Everything is perfect

Oct 11, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

We appreciate your time with us at Sport Clips, and your input. We hope our paths cross again, in the future.