KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Sport Clips

Sport Clips

Add a Review

Sport Clips Employee Reviews about "stylist"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 218 of over 1,680 reviews

3.7
Sport Clips CEO and President Edward Logan
Edward Logan
Pros
  • "Teaching new stylist how to care about what you do(in 113 reviews)

• "Fast pace environment great company great pay ability to move up(in 92 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Turn around with stylist that stay longer than 1 year do to competitive salons(in 130 reviews)

• "Hard on your your back and shoulders sometimes cuz you’re doing so many haircuts(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sport Clips and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "stylist"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Love the company

Nov 19, 2020 - Love IT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for, treat employees well and don't over work stylist.

Cons

None it honestly is a great place

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that you love what you do an where you work! Happy Thanksgiving!

2. 4.0

Great place to work

Jan 13, 2021 - SportClips Area Coach
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching new stylist how to care about what you do.

Cons

They say they care but at the end of the day you always replaceable

Talent and Engagement Specialist

I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to see that you are frustrated and feel that we do not care. I just sent this feedback to the appropriate party. I hope you will speak to your Director. I know that they care and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. If you need to share additional feedback, feel free to connect via contact.us@sportclips.com (subj line: Glassdoor).

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Fun job

Jan 5, 2021 - Hair Stylist in Owasso, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many stylists to help cover shifts. Good pay and tips.

Cons

Loss of hours if you don’t hit sales numbers.

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Your feedback is appreciated! Every store handles scheduling and compensation differently due to ownership. I I will share this feedback and encourage you to speak to your manager or franchisee about your scheduling needs, if you have not. I am glad to see that your team works together and supports one another.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Make good money; good luck with job growth.

Aug 6, 2020 - Store Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

*You make great money. If you are coming right out of cosmetology school and have no clientele, this is the place to go so you can make some actual money to live on and maybe build some clients if you like men's hair. When you get the commission system down and connect with your clients (tips), you could possibly make more than your manager. *Most of your co-workers are really great to work with. It's a mush less catty place to work with than with a traditional full-service salon. *Very clean. *Uniforms. I know some would see this as a negative but it was super easy getting ready in the morning, and they are cute to me. *Sport Clips (corporate) have a great mission statement and camaraderie about them. They also do great work with charity and like to give back to their clients when they can with discounts and raffle like prizes. *Lots of locations to choose from. Almost no matter where you move you will more than likely have a job to transfer to, so nice job security! *They pay for you to go to class! So you can always learn more and get better with the trends and the store policies.

Cons

*Do not expect a flexible schedule or get everything in writing. Especially if you have kids. I only say this because they will call you in on days off and expect you to come in, and then hold it against you. Even though you are only part time or had schedule restrictions. Now, this might not be at all Sport Clips, but that's something to start off with in interview if its important for your work-life balance. So, have a schedule contract if you cannot be flexible, but more than likely they will not go for it. Good luck. *Along with that, they will not staff store properly if run by a manager or area manager who will try to make sure in no way will the stylists make more money than they can. At the store I managed it was pretty sketch. The girls were making great commission, and legally, the way that the system works, and then my area manager keep repeatedly moving the caps higher so it was impossible to make and cutting hours. That was just wrong to me. Why have the option to make more money (and advertise it in your ads) if you are going to take it away and it not be a consistent part of their job? I really cared about the girls I worked with and it make me look at my ethics. Not saying all stores do this, but if you notice that starts happening, report it to corporate if you can or leave to another location. There are many locations. *They boast in their ads to stylists and in the interview that there is plenty of room for job growth, but I wouldn't hold my breath. (Again this is store to store). It was an important thing for me and it was super disappointing that they wanted to keep me from reaching a fuller potential. If you feel that is happening to you as well, go to another store. *You have to purchase your uniforms. I do think if you want extra shirts that is fine, but I think they should give you the required shirts for the store. *Discounts on products for stylists is nothing to write home about. I use to get completely free or up to 80% off of my products at another salon and beauty store I worked at, here its only 50% off for stylists. *Products that you sell. I have no problem with the commission system. I think its great. But the products are just okay. Especially with it being 2019-2020? There are better products for men out there. The best they had in my opinion are Paul Mitchell lines and GIBS and that's not saying much. *If you are a boy and want to work here, more than likely it won't happen. I'm not saying I have never seen a guy working at one, but it's not common. *The clients. 95% of them are men. It's not the company's fault, I have just experienced plenty of inappropriate interactions from the male clientele. Which makes the rest of your job duties difficult to get through. *If you get pregnant, good luck. *Benefits are zero to none. Healthcare is either non-existent or awful. No 401K or anything like that. You only get 1 week vacation a year and you have to take it or just take the money while still working.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Each store is independently owned so there are many things that vary by location. Sport Clips values and standards should be evident in every location. Sport Clips does not discriminate. I will pass this information along to the appropriate party. Your time at Sport Clips is appreciated! Please message me with your market information so I can get this information in the right hands. You can reach me at contact.us@sportclips.com.

5. 5.0

They value the employees

Jul 18, 2020 - Manager in Alcoa, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best company for stylists by far

Cons

I have no cons Couldn’t ask for a better company

Thank you!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

The very best!

Jul 17, 2020 - Area Coach in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tomorrow marks my 9 year anniversary with Sport Clips! I have been a stylist, assistant manager, store manager, and I am currently an Area Coach. I can not imagine my life without Sport Clips. From constant education, growth opportunities, great pay, travel, etc., this job is AMAZING! I am so grateful to have found such an awesome company to work for straight out of cosmetology school. Come work with us, you won’t be disappointed!

Cons

No cons, my jobs rocks! :)

Talent and Engagement Specialist

I am excited to see that you are an Area Coach! Amazing growth! Thank you for sharing your story!

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unsafe Work Environment When it Mattered Most

Jul 31, 2020 - Manager/Stylist in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

No marketing yourself, lots of walk ins if at the right location!

Cons

Owner refused let stylist know when an employee tested positive for Covid at the location. Didn’t pay out bonuses, no commission for sales.

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Each location is independently owned, so communication and benefits are up to the franchisee (store owner). Keeping our team members and clients safe is a priority. My guess is that this happened at the beginning of the outbreak and there was a miscommunication of some kind. I am sorry that you feel/felt unsafe. I will share this information with the appropriate party immediately. The best marketing you can do is behind the chair! We appreciate you and your commitment. Hang tight wile I get this over to the right person for review!

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's an okay place to work.

Jun 23, 2020 - Stylist in Oakdale, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can make good tips and talk to cool people.

Cons

The upper management, area managers team leaders can be very obtuse to stylists needs. They can be up your butt to do things the sport clips way and take away individuality.

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Sport Clips does have processes in place to ensure the client experience is consistent and to provide a path for success to our team members. I am sorry if the benefits have not been properly communicated. As an individual team member you add so much value to the team! Sometimes it can be difficult to do make a shift in process if you do not understand the why. Let me know if I can help you: contact.us@sportclips.com.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun environment but need BARBER SKILL SET

Apr 12, 2020 - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Gainesville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, great hourly pay, nice co workers, unique environment for boys and men to watch sports while getting service .

Cons

No training and I’m a licensed hair stylist that can cut any type of style but working on just men and boys requires you to know how to use clippers( beard and mustache cuts) and scissors to produce fades and you aren’t taught that in school, in school only taught basic men’s cut. On feet without any ergonomic pad underneath , main issue is no training AT ALL.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry about your experience. We have coaches in every market an provide training for our team members. However, these stores are independently owned. I would like to learn more! Feel free to email contact.us@sportclips.com. Best wishes! #SportClipsStrong

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Job Opportunities!!!!

Feb 25, 2020 - Store Manager in Kennedale, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team, great clients and lots of room to grow!

Cons

Turn around with stylist that stay longer than 1 year do to competitive salons

Viewing 1 - 10 of 218 Reviews