Sport&Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Kirk and John Galiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership, decent managment (in 33 reviews)

• All employees are given a free gym membership and a discount on the in-house spa services (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • awful/long hours for low base salary, high turnover rate, don't keep all their promises (in 5 reviews)

• For example, someone may hit goal because everyone else on the team quit so they received all the incoming leads meant for a team of people (in 4 reviews)

1. "Front Desk Manager-on-duty"

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Laid back work

Cons

Clients can be difficult at times, however this should not be an automatic disqualifier.

Advice to Management

Nothing really.

2. "Not the best"

I worked at Sport&Health part-time

Pros

You get a free membership which is a pretty great deal, get to know the personal trainers who hang out at the desk before/after their clients arrive

Cons

Very unstimulating/boring work, standing alone the whole time/not allowed to read at the desk, people can be rude, training was terrible (maybe has improved by now...but at the time, it was very insufficient)

3. "Dead End Housekeeping Position with Low Pay"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Herndon, VA

I worked at Sport&Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The aesthetic work environment is pretty clean, contemporary, and has beautiful natural light in Herndon, Virginia. My part time schedule was working Monday - Friday from 10-3 and then changed to 9-3. My boss gave me any days off that I needed when I asked in advance. There is a modest employee break room area with a fridge and microwave. All employees are given a free gym membership and a discount on the in-house spa services. If you are a social person or extrovert you will enjoy socializing with other staff members and conversing with the gym members who are all typically energetic and outgoing. Required work uniform of black workout pants, athletic shoes, black Sport&Health polyester polo shirt, and name tag is a comfortable and smart looking uniform to wear everyday. I was the only Caucasian member of the housekeeping team. Every other member besides myself, including department head, was of Hispanic descent so learning to communicate with them, as they each spoke minimal English was a unique, and enriching experience. However the department head speaks English and Spanish fluently. I applied online through an ad on an employment app and was called for an interview within a couple of days. I was hired at the interview pending the results of a clean background check. I began working within a week and a half after my interview. My position required me to be the sole person who washed, dried, folded, and replenished towels for the gyms towel service areas. I worked completely independently for my entire shift. I was busy with the work for the entire shift. The GM permitted me to listen to music and podcasts through a Bluetooth headset while I was in the laundry room.

Cons

You are supplied with 1 work shirt for free and then every extra shirt is $36 each deducted from your paycheck. The extra shirts are optional. I could only afford to buy 1 more for myself and so I would be wearing the same shirt two or three days at a time. The basic rate of pay is $8.50 and there are no increases promised after 90 days of employment or annually. There is no health care coverage or any other benefits offered. Only a ten minute break allotted per 5 hour or 6 hour shift. The laundry room was a very warm environment to work in and there is a vent directly above the folding station that pipes in warm air and various food scents from all the neighboring restaurant kitchens in the plaza. I don't know why or how that was like that. I worked this job for 5 months and not once did I receive positive or negative feedback from my supervisor. Ultimately this job left me feeling isolated and yearning for a job where my efforts were recognized. Those feelings combined with the low rate of pay and no health care coverage drove me to resign.

Advice to Management

Check in with lower tier employees casually, one-on-one to ask them for their observations on how the club is running. They can give you feedback on their interactions with gym members or let you know if there is possibly a facilities issue that could be addressed to improve the club. Also please work to offer your lower tier employees a higher rate of pay. Northern Virginia is rated as one of the most expensive places in the country to live and I feel the pay that you offer to your employees should acknowledge that fact.

4. "Front Desk Associate"

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time

Pros

The hours are very flexible

Cons

Standing for 6 or more hrs

5. "Family!"

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best atmosphere and the friendliest coworkers.

Cons

Job hours are inconsistent or short.

6. "Easy"

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy work, nice people.

Cons

minimal support, no other cons really.

7. "good company"

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time

Pros

good pay
    good management
    good environment

Cons

not enough clients
    pay can be better

8. "Great company"

Pros

Good pay and lots of training opportunity

Cons

Not many Cons I can think of.

Advice to Management

Really enjoyed working for the company.

9. "Don't Reccomend"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in McLean, VA

Pros

-Free Membership
    -Meeting nice members
    -Some employees kind and hard-working

Cons

-Management is not the best; no transparency with employees
    -Promises of moving up but it never happens.

Advice to Management

No advice, just to employees to leave!

10. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in McLean, VA

I worked at Sport&Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sport & Health really employs great people so your coworkers are positive and outgoing

Cons

I worked a just-above minimum wage job with a college degree

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing