Sport&Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Fisher

Pros
  • Free gym membership, easy to get a job (in 29 reviews)

• Getting a free gym membership to all the Sport & Health clubs in the area (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Require a significant amount of education, however, offer very low pay (in 8 reviews)

• awful/long hours for low base salary, high turnover rate, don't keep all their promises (in 5 reviews)

1. "Decent to start, it never gets better"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at Sport&Health full-time

Pros

Good training for new employees, a wide variety of customers that offer great interaction on a daily basis--their customers make the experience worthwhile

Cons

Wages are on a sliding scale based on hours worked. Given that they try to drive ever higher their volume of active employees, they actively hamper the ability of established and hard working employees to accumulate the hours necessary to actually make a living. Benefits are non existent. Work always or make no money--at best you can pay for health insurance if you have 25 client hours and want a miniscule discount as compared to cobra rates...

Advice to Management

Be more willing to take the side of your employees when it is your employees hoping for more respect/compensation from upper management. This place bleeds quality employees

2. "Good company."

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone seems to love what they do here, from trainers to front desk staff to house keeping.

Cons

Have had two general managers and three different fitness directors in less than 1.5 years. But, I think that has more to do with our club than Sport&Health as a whole.

"Good job gone bad"

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Sport&Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

If The business model is the same as it was when I left, there are few pros. Being able to use all their clubs is. A bonus. The job can be fun at times.

Cons

Long unpaid hours. 50 and 60 hour work weeks on a 40 hour salary. You will be canned if you go too long without meeting Monthly sales goals. Managers the worse I ever worked for. One bully boss admitted to being hired to "clean house"! Upper management sees you as dirt.

Advice to Management

Start firing yourselves if you don't reach monthly Corp sales goals. Hire better managers, in 5 years I went though 7 managers. Several were down right criminals.The Fitness Industry eats it's young. If you Don't hit your quota a couple of months in a row goodby job. I worked locally for Sport and Health Clubs. I lasted five years. I ain't kidding, the turnover was close to 100%. Almost nobody lasted a few months, much less over a year. I believed I survived so long, Mostly because for an older guy, I was in great shape and believed in the product...fitness. And I was willing to bend the stupid company rules (usually with tacit approval from my managers) to close sales and bring in legit paying customers. I wasn't gonna work the mandatory 50 and 60 hours work weeks, on a mediocre 40 hour salary, just to fail. But I truly believed that a fitness membership was a good value and good for the customer who used it. But the reality is the business model of the Fitness industry creates Associate failure and unhappy customers. My advice. Don't bother, The day they hire you, they are already training your replacement. O yea many in upper management, have been their for years even though they hardly ever hit their over all company goal. I doubt many of them would survive a month on a sales team. Shame on you Mark Fisher. And yes I got an ax to grind!

5. "Working at sport and health"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Sport&Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manger is so mean

Cons

No good things about work place

6. "Love it!!"

Current Employee - Fitness Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Fitness Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sport&Health full-time

Pros

It is a great and cohesive work environment with lots of room for growth and advancement

Cons

The locations aren't open 24 hrs

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "Membership Consultant"

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Sport&Health (Less than a year)

Pros

free gym membership. meet many people

Cons

minimum wage and no benefits.

8. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at Sport&Health part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules; management was great; nice job to help to get by while attending college; free membership

Cons

Sometimes would have to pay for parking as an employee. This was difficult making only $8/hour.

"Explosive Performance Trainer"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Sport&Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Setting your own schedule is great, you can work with clients that you want and set a schedule that you want. the clients, members and other staff are great and make for great new friends. There are a ton of amazing master trainers their to learn from and watch to help improve yourself. And the free membership is bonus.

Cons

The pay is horrible, and the company takes cuts out of your commission that are not explained. There is no hope for benefits at al. The general manager is only concerned with making members happy and has no problem with taking money out of his employees pockets to make a member happy. The turn around of trainers is beyond fast, I personally watched 12 trainers quit within my first 2 months. The fitness director and site director preach running your own business but love to micromanage. They are more concerned with meeting goal and increasing their pay check at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about the bottom line and think about your actual employees and their wellbeing, stick to constant training or letting your employees run their own business. Don't preach about how you don't micromanage just to turn around and micromanage your employees.

"not a bad entry level job if you are very motivated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people to work with, free gym membership, great company overall. A lot of their promoting comes from within the company

Cons

unrealistic expectations in terms of lead generation and membership sales per month, bad hours (often 12-9pm) and usually at least one day of the weekend. commission is only good if you hit quota and hitting quota is not easy. must be a real go-getter

Advice to Management

create more realistic expectations and give the consultants more tools to succeed instead of throwing them to the wolves and basically having them figure it out on their own

"Not impressed"

Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Brambleton, VA
    Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Brambleton, VA

Pros

Free membership, including gym. zumba, cycling, etc classes and swimming. For you and your family members. The place is overall clean and well looked after.

Cons

Low pay, degrading job. All kids attendants are on part-time, even those who have worked there for as long as 9-10 years with no perspect of ever getting full-time benefits

Advice to Management

Full-time committed staff