Sports Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sports Direct Founder & CEO Mike Ashley
Mike Ashley

Pros
  • By having a zero hour contract it allows for flexible work which suits me as I am a student (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 74 reviews)

• 0 hour contract can mean next to no hours work leading to small pay, sometimes looked down upon by customers and higher positioned staff (in 34 reviews)

1. "Not awful for a first job."

Current Employee - Shoe Technician in Letchworth, AR
    Current Employee - Shoe Technician in Letchworth, AR

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people, can choose your own hours, 20% discounts!.
    The other staff here are very friendly and understanding, helpful if I don't know something.
    Managers bought us cakes after a particularly busy day!

Cons

Back to school and Christmas times are very busy and stressful and busy!
    Been doing the same job/task(s) for >1 year, getting bored now, only thing making it noticeably interesting is the variations of customers. We use radios to talk and often there aren't enough and people get into a queue to call the shoes which causes irritation with some customers.

Advice to Management

Make sure all packaging is in decent condition as its often unusable and falls apart. I've had many complaints about this. Some sort of new system for calling the shoes is required, the radios are somewhat inefficient.

2. "Awesome"

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

Needs better management. Inter act with employee at all levels

3. "Good"

Pros

Really nice people. Absolutely love the team could not ask for a better work family.

Cons

If you don't sell magazines and bags that's not good

5. "Good first job"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Its easy work unless its busy, good shifts and nice co-workers (mostly). Good experiences dealing with customers so you're better prepared for future jobs.

Cons

very low pay and only paid at the end of each month. one supervisor who is really rude and has a go at people for nothing.

Advice to Management

Sometimes watch the duty managers/supervisors.. they can be very rude.

6. "Sports Direct"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Tamworth, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and social ineractivity within the workplace
    Recently workplace environment has improved a lot

Cons

Rota times and understaffing people during busy periods
    at beginning of employment unrealistic task were set

7. "sales assistant"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The pay is competitive and is decent
    -Management and staff are a friendly bunch of people to work with
    -Socialising is enforced

Cons

-You are treated as pretty much just a number in the company
    -They are very money hungry and will do anything to get it
    -Hours are limited and for numerous weeks I was on 4 hours a week

8. "CAST"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Good commission and atmosphere, great people

Cons

Low pay if under 18

9. "Retail made Worse"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with zero hours and so can adapt around student living.
    Some of the people I have worked with are absolutely wonderful people and I see being friends with for a long time.

Cons

Where do you start...
    Do you start with the awful way you are treated as a Sports Direct employee, the poor pay for the work you do or the fact management lie to you.
    Firstly, lets begin with the huge media coverage of the treatment of Sports Direct workers which resulted in huge changes that were promised to the workers, months now down the line we are still waiting for these 12 hour contracts to be offered to replace the zero hours one we currently have. Probably something Karen Buyers and Mike Ashley told the media to make it seem as if there was change coming but nothing is changing.
    Then we have the fact that the company decided to change the payroll cut off dates, from the 13th to the 6th of every month, which is perfectly acceptable but what isn't acceptable is the fact that us workers were only informed on the day of receiving our wage slips. Fortunately I had enough savings left over to pay my rent but some others were not in such fortunate circumstances and so have been hit hard by these changes and lack of knowledge of changes.
    Thirdly, the firm makes a huge deal about its '5 star' and commission programme which could be a good idea but they keep scaling it back so we get less and less money each month. Some of my colleges have gone from making £300+ per month to less than £75 from these changes. This is after they make a huge fuss about not paying minimum wage, with a measly 5-10p increase in wages to make it above minimum wage...Yeah, cheers Mike Ashley that really help...(sarcasm for anyone not sure).
    The job itself is dull and repetitive with many of the management team being well versed in Sports Direct but lack in basic intelligence which makes it difficult to interact with them if you have any intelligence that is! The area manager for our area has the least intelligence of them all, with grammar skills worse than children in kindergarten. Some of the e-mails we have received from him have been appalling with disgusting use of language throughout.
    Most of the workers are lazy and do a half arsed job, so if you actually do a good job you should get the hours (a word of advice on that front..save yourself!!)
    They do say its zero hours but that doesn't let them stop you working you to the bone with 40+ hours but with none of the benefits that a full timer receives.
    A further negative is the way you are solely judged upon your sales of Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) which are magazines, bags for life and insoles. Now all of these products are over priced pieces of rubbish, the insoles we are made to present as a rubber heel cup (£5) or full insole (£7) which will cushion your foot from the impact of the ground, we say this with no proof that this actually is the case with doctors having come in refuting such a claim in that it doesn't work that well. The bags for life are £1 each for a medium bag or £1.50 for a large one but aren't for life and you'll be lucky if they last you more than a few years.
    In conclusion, the company is alright to work for at the best of times, don't expect to be happy when working there. I have had two managers who have experienced emotional breakdown while in charge which shows the kind of company Sports Direct is.

Advice to Management

I have not experienced one piece of motivational techniques in my whole time at Sports Direct, nothing from the management to make me really push myself to another level to work even harder for the company.

10. "Good for students"

Current Employee - Student
    Current Employee - Student

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working hours are so flexible. Because I'm a student, I can work 5 hours a week and not worry about being called in for extra shifts. I don't have time for long hours and it's just the right amount of spare cash every month.

Cons

The work is tedious and the busy stores are less happy with part time staff. They'd prefer everyone working 45 hour weeks! I've worked in a large store and a small store. The large store definitely had me working hard and feeling guilty for leaving on time! But the small store made me love working for sports direct.

Advice to Management

Think about the lives of your employees. If we come at 7am and leave at 6:30pm, shattered, everyday... That's the entire week gone. We need to be allowed to leave on time, work decent hours without being begged to do more and be seen as a human being and not a worker. There's only so much one person can do.

11. "IT Support"

Current Employee - IT Support in Shirebrook, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Support in Shirebrook, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good range of IT experience to be learnt.
    Some room for progression
    Pay for certifications

Cons

Shift patterns
    Weekend work
    Staff Christmas party at local hotel owned by company owners brother, charging £50 per night to stay!
    Low pay compared to similar roles
    No more bonus

Advice to Management

Better pay for helpdesk
    Fairer bonus for all employees