Sports Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Sports Direct Founder & CEO Mike Ashley
Mike Ashley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 31 reviews)

• By having a zero hour contract it allows for flexible work which suits me as I am a student (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 82 reviews)

• 0 hour contract- Can work for students, but not a reliable source of income (in 38 reviews)

1. "Poor experience"

Pros

I'm genuinely not sure what to say

Cons

Zero hour contracts, ridiculous working conditions and poor senior management

Advice to Management

Improve the quality of life for workers. We are individual human beings.

2. "DONT WORK HERE"

Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor

Pros

The fact that you can only work hardly any hours which youll want after working at this hell hole

Cons

I joined Sports Direct in May 2017.
    The minute i got an interview their was all this propaganda of a "Sports direct family" which is the biggest load of bs ive ever heard, How can a company that pays minimum wage to all but managment with no guaranteed hours doing a crap job without the right equipment provided (ill get into that later)
    To start off with theres what they call a 5 star commision scheme where if you sold certain shoes or insoles you would get something like 50p back, Thats just to justify and make it seem like getting the minimum wage isnt bad, and for the people who serve on shoes it isnt, they could make upwards of £20 on a good day on commision alone, whereas i who was only put on shoes once made around 30 pound in the 3 months i worked there, thats because the only thing i could make commision on were the bags 4 life which would give me 5p for a small one 10 for medium and 15p for the 3 pound bag, sound like a fairtrade to you?
    Despite the fact that there are "100s of products that are 5 star" they never seemed to be the ones that a customer would ask advice on or ask you to help get them down bit of a coincidence dont you think? Also staff on tills were penalised if they didnt sell enough bags or mags, there was this one time we had a new member of staff in and she sold more bags then me on her first shift which then caused my manger to have a go at me saying that "im not asking customers for bags, that i get payed to sell them and its part of my job to"
    They dont seem to understand that if a customer doesnt want a bag theyre not gonna buy one and that very few people want to buy a magazine yet we are forced to try to sell them and they are apparently easy to sell well i sold 5 in the time i was there and one of those was to a collegue thats how most people sell them.
    Now onto the next poor thing about this company.
    Cleaning theres no cleaners all staff have to clean a whole shop with little more then some dusters, brooms, polish, glass cleaner, heavy duty wipes and some all purpose cleaner, we have no machine or anything of the sort to clean floors we have to use these glorified nappy wipes and our feet to rub against the floor to clean it. How do they expect a shop to be clean and tidy providing us with little to no equipment??
    All in all this company is probably one of the worst on the high street dont do what i do and believe the propaganda of earning thousands on commison and winning prizes for good customer service it simply isnt true, and the lies about a big
    Sports Direct family its full of snakes and snobs who think they are amazing because they work at sports direct, their is soo much more bad stuff i could say about this place but i think you get the message.
    STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS

Advice to Management

Stop being snobby

3. "Sales assistant"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Good as a summer job

Cons

- zero hours meant you could be sent home an hour after shift started
    - constantly on your back to sell magazines or bags
    - shoe boys always earned more commission and didn't rotate very often
    - managers always put themselves on shoes
    - managers very rude and expected you to bend over backwards whilst they sat in the staff room on phones
    - theft checks at the end of each shift outside the public entrance very demoralising
    - staff discount rubbish only on certain days
    - no regard for employees

4. "Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. Money hungry management style leaves staff underpaid and overworked

Cons

4 hour shifts, constant changing roster, they are like kids running a business throwing a tantrum every day and constantly contradicting orders and procedures given by themselves. They are running Heatons business into the ground and dumping out all the Heatons staff on the way such a stupid company

Advice to Management

Grow up and go back to college

"Worst Unbelievable experience"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct (Less than a year)

Pros

None at all they say you get discounts but that's only £5 or £6 off a product absolutely shocker of a day.

Cons

Rubbish Pay
    Hardly any work
    Staff are lazy and rude
    Lot amount of stress for a young person
    Always looking at you

Advice to Management

Even if I give you advice the upper management won't listen

6. "wasting time"

Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant in Wood Green, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant in Wood Green, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

0 hours contract, the rota changed every each hour, very bad management, no human rights...

Cons

ideal job for students or for part time

Advice to Management

Treats people like a people, don't scream, just say

7. "Still have a nervous twitch when someone mentions this place"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Can't think of a single one....

Cons

Was bullied by the manager, on a 0 hour contract, no sick pay, was told I couldn't book a day off as I wasn't entitled to holiday, split shifts so they didn't have to pay you for a break and uncomfortable/humiliating searches after shifts

8. "Abysmal company"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job as a teenager and the only redeeming quality was that the majority of the workforce was of a similar age, and this created a sense of 'we are all in this together.'

Cons

The workforce is poorly managed. There was an incredibly high turnover of managers in my year there, and the management team regularly failed to communicate so you would be told multiple contradictory orders. Regularly expected to stay beyond your shift to cover for others tardiness, I expect as they desperately did not wish to come to this awful place.

Advice to Management

Communicate with one another to ensure effective orders are conveyed to the team

9. "Rubbish job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

Pros

good colleagues to work with

Cons

terrible, zero contract hours, the managers not great. Everything you hear about them is not a lie1

Advice to Management

Dont focus on profit, focus on your staff as they really hold the organisation down

10. "Ok for kids"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct (Less than a year)

Pros

The members of staff who worked their were a laugh and people all chipped in together. Flexible working hours

Cons

The management always seemed to have a chip on their shoulder, they would expect the world but give nothing in return. Minimum wage and wasn't always guaranteed hours. Working with KPI's became a pain