Sports Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Sports Direct Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 24 reviews)

• Flexibility from part time staff is brilliant (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 70 reviews)

• 0 hour contract can mean next to no hours work leading to small pay, sometimes looked down upon by customers and higher positioned staff (in 35 reviews)

1. "Where to start, where to end?"

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm sure there are positive things about working at Sports Direct. Heck, some people have been (t)here for more than 10(!) years. I, however, can only come up with one. Once you convince them you're able to do the job, that's it. No big tests, no three-tiered interview process. Shake of the hand, sign a fresh&warm newly-printed contract and there you go.

No wait, let's make that two. No smart-casual office attire or anything like that. Show up in a hoodie and sweatpants, see if anyone cares.

Cons

Right. I will not even speak about the warehouse or the stores, those guys have it even worse than us (office staff). This is all off-the-cuff stuff, whatever comes to mind, in no real order.

- Low pay. In addition to that, I have only heard of one case where someone got a raise. That was when 4 people in another department threatened to walk out together unless they each got 2k more per year, meaning they would start earning (in the ballpark of) 21k.
    - Most, if not all, are on 42.5h/week contracts for what would be a low but decent 40h/week pay.
    - Management gets promoted on the basis of years of service (in stores, not the office) or how lovey-dovey they get with the big bosses. I am working in a department that deals with foreign languages on a daily basis. None of the three bosses above us speak anything but bad-to-middling English, yet they get to make the calls.
    - Every manager is working ungodly hours, and asking for time off (leaving an hour early and then making it up) is sometimes seen as something of a personal insult. This is true for multiple departments, from what I hear from colleagues.
    - Management wear different clothing to distinguish them from all other workers. Just so you wouldn't forget where you stand, at all times.
    - The reaction to getting up from your desk to make yourself a cup of tea or worse, talk to a colleague for a minute, varies. Some frown upon it, others send you an e-mail to please stop distracting others from working during working hours.
    - Overtime is not paid, but every now and then sort of required. Suggestions to make overtime paid got the same incredulous reaction as asking for a new Maserati every Tuesday.
    - Poor canteen.
    - The office building is located in a hard-to-access part of the East Midlands. And that's spoken as someone who commutes by car. Public transport there is a sad joke.
    - You get your bag searched every night, just to make sure you're not stealing office supplies.
    - Lots of staff use those mobile backrests on their chairs because -- shocker -- the cheapest office chairs are low quality.
    - Career advancement... Well, you could wait until your boss keels over. Then you might get promoted. Otherwise, you'll be doing the same things, for the same pay, without any additional training or tasks, for pretty much as long as your mental health and self-respect hold out.
    - It was recently discovered that a hacker made off with 30.000 employees' unencrypted personal data. This highly likely includes NiNo's, confidential health records, passport scans, and more. We weren't told anything, and had to find out in the press. We have not heard of any extra steps for future data protection.
    - Training is inexistent across the entire office. Designers, us, architects, they've all said it. But that would cost money and time, so yeah.

Advice to Management

Giving work-related recommendations to people who are there from before 8am until after 8.30pm every single day of the week (yes, this describes most management) is not really an option. You see, you aren't there 12 hours a day, every day, so you couldn't possibly have *any* clue on what they might be doing better.
    Of course, suggestions are welcomed. Just like you are then welcomed to go back to your desk and get back to work.

Short of mass-firings or very intense, very long 1-on-1 management classes for most of them, I do not believe anything will change. Criticism makes them defensive, not worried that something might be wrong.

2. "Sports Direct"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

It is fun as a part time job and you meet interesting people. I've made a few friends working there

Cons

The rate of pay is sub-par. They don't give very many hours. They're strict when it come to incentive products and that's all they care about.

3. "Not as bad as people say"

Pros

Friendly staff, not bad pay, bonus scheme

Cons

Hours could have been better I guess but I was only temporary staff

Advice to Management

None

5. "Casual sales assistant review"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

You earn commission on things you sell so its motivation. The staff are also quite friendly and shifts are flexible

Cons

Boys were made to sell shoes and earn higher commission. Girls were always put behind the tills with no room to grow in selling. Most employees were too young and immature for the job.

Advice to Management

Hire older staff and pay your employees more. Someone was making as low as £4.95 an hour which I found extortionate

6. "Sport direct"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

commisson was avalibe
    decent break depending on age

Cons

always kept on feet
    pressured all the time
    supervisors were not god at all

7. "Good"

Pros

flexible contracts and working hours

Cons

no negatives for the job

8. "Okay to get retail experience"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

People at job were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Supervisors forced to more strict than necessary, setting unrealistic goals due to upper management breathing down their necks

9. "TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Burnley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Burnley, England (UK)

Pros

- co workers
    - kpi's
    - hours
    - basic training provided

Cons

- Small pay
    - some management
    - More hours would be appreciated

Advice to Management

Take training in how to treat staff with respect.

10. "Very flexible and friendly"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant - Footwear in Carlisle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant - Footwear in Carlisle, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great how every is friendly and managers are approachable and talkative. Enjoy working on both footwear and tills and have never had any problems with the management

Cons

Is just a store thing but not as many hours as I would like

11. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Honestly i love working at Sports Direct. You're always constantly doing something so you never get bored, the management are really flexible with your working hours and if you can't do a shift they just swap it no problem. I'm 18 and everyone there is of a similar age so it's easy to get a long. Also, I'll be going to university in September and my manager said i can transfer to one of the stores by my uni if i want to. Management are fun and easy going and the shifts aren't long. The longest I've worked is 4 hours.

Cons

At first i hated the uniform ( a red polo and some navy blue joggers) but it doesn't bother me anymore, everyone there is wearing the exact same so it's not like you're the odd one out. Also, if you ask you can get a pair of blue shorts instead which are actually, dare i say it sort of cute. Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me. I've seen people on here complain about the staff discount and the fact that we don't get a bonus for working boxing day but firstly, why the hell should we get paid extra for boxing day? It's only boxing day. If it bothers you to work it you just need to tell them in advance that you can't and they'll sort it, problem solved. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with the staff discount. You get %20/25 off depending on which store you work in. Yes it's only available on Thursdays but so what, just go on Thursdays!