Sports Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Sports Direct Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Zero hour contract so you can choose when to work (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 86 reviews)

• 0 hour contract- Can work for students, but not a reliable source of income (in 39 reviews)

1. "Casual Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Strood, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Strood, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get sales experience, work in a tough environment and also gain commercial awareness of the retail industry.

Cons

You have to manage your expectations, not every customer will be happy to talk to you or be friendly. However, take it as a learning experience to better yourself and experiment with techniques to engage conversation and build relationships with them.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Average Part-Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part was the staff - they really helped make a stale shift interesting, but that is the same with most jobs tough. You also get a decent store discount. For the most part, it was also a good atmosphere.

Cons

The manager was often rude and unmotivated us - made working there a hassle. I was often uninformed of changes within the store, and it felt very disorganized. The store would also do anything to save money. In the summer we had to deal with a broken air conditioner for months!

3. "CAST member"

Former Employee - Cast Member in Northwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Northwich, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Many of the staff were of a similar age to myself at the time (late teens) so got on very well
    - Fairly fun and enthusiastic environment a lot of the time
    - 15% discount
    - Uniform looks good (in my opinion)
    - KPI bonus - good incentive but only really if you worked a lot of hours
    - Would recommend as a first part time/0 hours job for the experience and obviously money (which is min wage). Also cons aside most of the people are really friendly and still say hi when I pop in.

Cons

- Never clocked out on time if on till finish as had to wait for managers to cash up. This sometimes took 50 minutes and I wasn't paid for staying.
    - KPIs - Sometimes too much pressure to sell these extra products, and was hard to do without taking away from the customer experience.
    - 0 hours - never know when you're going to work and if you couldn't work a shift you were given your only choice was to swap it with someone else. To simply say "I cant work that shift" was unacceptable. Although they were good for giving me shifts around my college hours which I specified in my interview.
    - Discount can only be used in your own store on a Thursday
    - Often understaffed at busy periods

Advice to Management

- Let staff leave on time, or close to
    - Less 0 hours, more proper part time positions
    - Change that annoying radio station - those christmas song covers are the worst!

4. "Interview with the the manager was easy going."

Pros

20% off and the staff are fun to work with.

Cons

It's a low paying job. Other than that it's not that bad.

5. "O.K place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Banbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Banbury, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct (More than a year)

Pros

The commission was nice as it gave me an incentive to work hard for add-on sales

Cons

The managers can be really pushy about add-on sales even if you are in a particular place of the store when add-on sales are much less likely

Advice to Management

Train the staff better and notify them of changes in the store

6. "Sports direct"

Pros

Great company, flexible shifts, store discount, great location, good management, great team environment, good pay great for keeping up to date in the latest fashion

Cons

No guaranteed hours nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Advice to Management

Great management

7. "My experince at Sports Direct Woodgreen"

Former Employee - Causal Sales Assistant in Woodgreen, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Causal Sales Assistant in Woodgreen, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. My interview was with the assistant manager, so I did experience abuse until a week later. I did not believe the reviews until I experienced the abuse myself first. I was only there for three weeks, I got out before situations could get worse.

Cons

From the training to actually working for the above company . The Manager made it his business to be little staff members . In front of customers. He does understand how to communicate with people in general. All staff members looks down at the floor when he is speaking (Shouting)at them . Very abusive and rude with no respect for who is around i.e. staff, members of the pubic and should never hold this position as Manager.

Advice to Management

To be re trained and learn not to scream and shout at staff member on the shop floor. Not to speak over people in general, also learn to listen to what others are saying.

8. "Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirebrook, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirebrook, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

10% discount, not really much else! There is a bonus scheme but need to wait 5-7 years for it

Cons

Management rule by fear, no room for progression, wages are really low and do not improve

9. "Demanding but manageable (Footwear)"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The responsibility and having the drive to beat previous targets, whether how many additional commision based product you sell or the earliest you can leave. If you are active this will be ok.

Cons

You wont have a chance to sit down, talk, gossip about 98% of the time, you will have to delay water breaks and toilet breaks because ypu have so much to do and it would be inefficient of your time to go out of your way to do so. If you're lazy, take shortcuts then don't work here, definitely not on footwear.
    The work and effort I put in sometimes tires me out for the entire day, especially 7-12hr shifts (by choice), and I do feel the work I do is worth more than 6.82 an hour.

Advice to Management

I understand the company is looking to cut costs, but if you want a healthy staff retention you need to pay higher, especially as the casual staff are relied upon heavily so that the managers can focus on other important duties. It is extremely annoying leaening that I am on £6.82 an hour to serve customers, pronote products, close down, clean shop floor whilst the guard gets paid double to stand by the door and 90% of the time have nothing to do. Give stores more hours so they can get more staff in...in my store because of the limited hours, 2 people have to close down the entire footwear, and because there is so much to do whilst serving it encourages us to take shortcuts so we don't have to leave 2/3 hours after our shift was meant to end. This has a knock-on effect, stockrooms get messy, resale doesnt get sorted, when it comes to IBT it becomes harder, and the time taken for staff/management to repair the damage is longer than if you were to allocate those hours to an additional casual staff..

10. "Sports Direct"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

nice people, very good team

Cons

it is not really well-paid