Sports Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Sports Direct Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • By having a zero hour contract it allows for flexible work which suits me as I am a student (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 74 reviews)

• 0 hour contract can mean next to no hours work leading to small pay, sometimes looked down upon by customers and higher positioned staff (in 34 reviews)

1. "TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Burnley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Burnley, England (UK)

Pros

- co workers
    - kpi's
    - hours
    - basic training provided

Cons

- Small pay
    - some management
    - More hours would be appreciated

Advice to Management

Take training in how to treat staff with respect.

2. "Very flexible and friendly"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant - Footwear in Carlisle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant - Footwear in Carlisle, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great how every is friendly and managers are approachable and talkative. Enjoy working on both footwear and tills and have never had any problems with the management

Cons

Is just a store thing but not as many hours as I would like

3. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Honestly i love working at Sports Direct. You're always constantly doing something so you never get bored, the management are really flexible with your working hours and if you can't do a shift they just swap it no problem. I'm 18 and everyone there is of a similar age so it's easy to get a long. Also, I'll be going to university in September and my manager said i can transfer to one of the stores by my uni if i want to. Management are fun and easy going and the shifts aren't long. The longest I've worked is 4 hours.

Cons

At first i hated the uniform ( a red polo and some navy blue joggers) but it doesn't bother me anymore, everyone there is wearing the exact same so it's not like you're the odd one out. Also, if you ask you can get a pair of blue shorts instead which are actually, dare i say it sort of cute. Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me. I've seen people on here complain about the staff discount and the fact that we don't get a bonus for working boxing day but firstly, why the hell should we get paid extra for boxing day? It's only boxing day. If it bothers you to work it you just need to tell them in advance that you can't and they'll sort it, problem solved. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with the staff discount. You get %20/25 off depending on which store you work in. Yes it's only available on Thursdays but so what, just go on Thursdays!

"Part Time Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Staines, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Staines, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent job for a young person to start gaining work skills.
    Flexible hours.

Cons

Zero hour contract, so you might get some hours this week but next week you might not be working at all.
    Bad management of people.

6. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can learn to be more productive

Cons

still runnning like a family business

7. "It could be great"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Penzance, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Penzance, England (UK)

Pros

The atmosphere amongst the store is excellent, staff are friendly and gave me my first real chance at working

Cons

Very low pay for younger staff with little to no chance of any pay rise or progression. Management don't offer you a chance to perform any new jobs and will prefer to leave you simply on the shop floor doing nothing but trying to get customers to buy insoles with their shoes.

Advice to Management

Be polite towards your staff, they're here to work in your store, they're not a tool that you can boss about. If a member of staff fails to make their sales targets for the day, don't make it your main aim to completely scold them and threaten to cut their hours

"Poor all round."

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

The only benefit is that a full days training was provided, with roles and health & safety outlined clearly, so employees are not thrown in the deep end as with many employers.

Cons

Everything set out in the training is more or less immediately violated. Health and safety goes out the window to ensure efficiency. As I worked in one of the larger warehouse style stores with high ceilings instead of a second floor, workers would often have to carry ladders 3 times their height or more to fetch something for a customer. As not enough ladders were provided, and many of those that were provided were broken, the various stockrooms where shoes were kept on equally high shelving generally had to make do with the broken ladders, or by frog climbing the shelves.
    Hours were sent out the week before via a group whatsapp photograph of the rota, and rarely adhered to: for example, if told to work from 1-6 on a given day (hours were all 5 hour slots to avoid giving breaks), the employee would actually be expected to start at 12:45 and finish at 8.
    Roles within the shop were never set, and employees were moved around randomly, thus ensuring nobody but the management knew the departments all that well or had fair opportunities to earn commission.
    Employees who performed poorly in the commission scheme would be made to feel guilty and berated in staff meetings, regardless of whether they had ever had access to the two departments where earning commission is possible.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to remember that most of their staff are under 18 and earning far less than minimum wage in their very first job, and to use this as a reminder that they may ask more questions and need more support, rather than the current system of an excuse to exploit those who don't realize they're being forced to work in unsafe and abnormal surroundings.

9. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time

Pros

Have been employed for over 9 years by them and the pros are simile
    Work hard get rewarded
    Perform well get rewarded
    To be a part of the family at #sdfamily
    20% discount across all facias USC etc

Cons

The negative press making us look bad.. which is not correct at all. They just using us as a target but not realising it's effecting everyone who works in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work improving the business, keep string as a business we will show SD to come out top.

10. "Christmas temp review"

Pros

Decent pay, chance of comission if on shoe department

Cons

Barely any training, very limited hours, challenging situations for people with no experience

Advice to Management

Put more time into training people with no experience

11. "Stress"

I worked at Sports Direct part-time

Pros

Decent pay however working. Conditions are like working in a farm. Tiring and no breaks

Cons

As mentioned above. Also managers don't care about you. Just treat you like peasents

Advice to Management

Fix up lads. This is getting out of order.