Sports Direct Sale Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sports Direct Founder & CEO Mike Ashley
Mike Ashley

Pros
  • By having a zero hour contract it allows for flexible work which suits me as I am a student (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy to work in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes it's a zero hour contract but that's never bothered me (in 74 reviews)

• 0 hour contract can mean next to no hours work leading to small pay, sometimes looked down upon by customers and higher positioned staff (in 34 reviews)

1. "very good job my friend"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in West Ham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in West Ham, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time

Pros

salary good. the pay was okay actually people were very nice to and i enjoyed myself working there was very goof.

Cons

the area is very nice but its also distracting you know sometimes it is just like dat you know.

Advice to Management

managment be good to you employees okay dont mess about pleasings tank you come again

2. "Sports Direct"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Tamworth, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and social ineractivity within the workplace
    Recently workplace environment has improved a lot

Cons

Rota times and understaffing people during busy periods
    at beginning of employment unrealistic task were set

3. "Sports direct don't do it"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a decent starter jobs

Cons

Hours you work
    Pressure to sell company's magazines etc
    Pay is bad
    Stay after finished shift
    Can only use discount for yourself

Advice to Management

Work on making your store better overall
    Take notes from JD and footlocker

5. "Experience"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

Pros

Company offers a good 5 star incentives/commission scheme for employees to earn extra money on top of their salary.

Cons

Lack of help in induction. When i started i was thrown into to the deep end and straight onto tills when i had made it clear i had never worked a till. All i got told was how to scan items and take money but several other problems arose for which there was a lack of help and management just wanted me to know even though the system was completely new to me. Plus i was left on my own for 90% of my shift with no one in sight no other employee or management.

Advice to Management

Give more training in the first few shifts to staff and get their feedback on what they g=have learnt or feel they need more improvement on to help staff work better.

6. "Retail made Worse"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with zero hours and so can adapt around student living.
    Some of the people I have worked with are absolutely wonderful people and I see being friends with for a long time.

Cons

Where do you start...
    Do you start with the awful way you are treated as a Sports Direct employee, the poor pay for the work you do or the fact management lie to you.
    Firstly, lets begin with the huge media coverage of the treatment of Sports Direct workers which resulted in huge changes that were promised to the workers, months now down the line we are still waiting for these 12 hour contracts to be offered to replace the zero hours one we currently have. Probably something Karen Buyers and Mike Ashley told the media to make it seem as if there was change coming but nothing is changing.
    Then we have the fact that the company decided to change the payroll cut off dates, from the 13th to the 6th of every month, which is perfectly acceptable but what isn't acceptable is the fact that us workers were only informed on the day of receiving our wage slips. Fortunately I had enough savings left over to pay my rent but some others were not in such fortunate circumstances and so have been hit hard by these changes and lack of knowledge of changes.
    Thirdly, the firm makes a huge deal about its '5 star' and commission programme which could be a good idea but they keep scaling it back so we get less and less money each month. Some of my colleges have gone from making £300+ per month to less than £75 from these changes. This is after they make a huge fuss about not paying minimum wage, with a measly 5-10p increase in wages to make it above minimum wage...Yeah, cheers Mike Ashley that really help...(sarcasm for anyone not sure).
    The job itself is dull and repetitive with many of the management team being well versed in Sports Direct but lack in basic intelligence which makes it difficult to interact with them if you have any intelligence that is! The area manager for our area has the least intelligence of them all, with grammar skills worse than children in kindergarten. Some of the e-mails we have received from him have been appalling with disgusting use of language throughout.
    Most of the workers are lazy and do a half arsed job, so if you actually do a good job you should get the hours (a word of advice on that front..save yourself!!)
    They do say its zero hours but that doesn't let them stop you working you to the bone with 40+ hours but with none of the benefits that a full timer receives.
    A further negative is the way you are solely judged upon your sales of Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) which are magazines, bags for life and insoles. Now all of these products are over priced pieces of rubbish, the insoles we are made to present as a rubber heel cup (£5) or full insole (£7) which will cushion your foot from the impact of the ground, we say this with no proof that this actually is the case with doctors having come in refuting such a claim in that it doesn't work that well. The bags for life are £1 each for a medium bag or £1.50 for a large one but aren't for life and you'll be lucky if they last you more than a few years.
    In conclusion, the company is alright to work for at the best of times, don't expect to be happy when working there. I have had two managers who have experienced emotional breakdown while in charge which shows the kind of company Sports Direct is.

Advice to Management

I have not experienced one piece of motivational techniques in my whole time at Sports Direct, nothing from the management to make me really push myself to another level to work even harder for the company.

7. "review for old job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time

Pros

friendly team, when new i had the help that i needed

Cons

cant realy think of any cons

8. "Poor working environment"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct (More than 5 years)

Pros

Okay if you are friendly with managers
    Holiday usually when you want with two-weeks notice
    Previously flexible for students

Cons

Unprofessional management
    Long hours
    Poor work/life balance
    High staff turnover
    Poor pay
    Unreasonable expectations from management

Advice to Management

Treat hardworking staff with the respect they deserve, treat your employees like human beings, respect that your employees have lives outside of work

9. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Castleford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Castleford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission scheme which earns me a lot more money, also the hours are very flexible

Cons

Low basic pay and unprofessional managers which makes it quite hard to work there

Advice to Management

Act more mature and more like team leaders

10. "Mediocre place"

Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a retail job.

Cons

0-based contract, punishment for calling in sick, manager favoritism, no personal development or career advancement options

Advice to Management

Complete restructure of the company; change your blame culture

11. "Okay to get retail experience"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

People at job were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Supervisors forced to more strict than necessary, setting unrealistic goals due to upper management breathing down their necks