Sports Endeavors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Moylan

Pros
  • It's a very relaxed work environment with good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• It's a relaxed work environment with decent benefits and short working hours (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a revolving door in the call center (in 4 reviews)

• There is no vision, no creativity, and the same old uninspired leadership that is mainly concerned with the "CYA" mantra (in 3 reviews)

"Future is Blurry"

I have been working at Sports Endeavors full-time

Pros

-Great atmosphere for soccer fans.
    -Good starting job for young professionals. Introduction to corporate life.
    -Mostly everyone is nice and friendly.
    -Casual environment.
    -Management does well to have positive interactions with everyone.
    -Management is fairly transparent about company position.
    -Sometimes you have a chance to get free apparel and gear.

Cons

-Low pay.
    -Unless you make it to a management position, not a company to I would advise you to spend a whole career at.
    -Management expects/asks employees to work overtime without praise or compensation. This can be unfair at times.
    -Hard focus on reaching sales at the expense of employees.
    -Sometimes a lack of teamwork, trust, or respect between employees can be noticeable.
    -Ideas or input from lower employees are often ignored by management.

Advice to Management

-Listen to your employees at all levels. Good ideas can come from anyone.
    -There's an aura and rumor of a management clique/gentleman's club. I would do my best to put that to rest.
    -You do well to address the needs of your customers, but do so for your employees as well. If you don't invest in them, they won't reciprocate.
    -Continue to be transparent.

"Working at SEI"

I have been working at Sports Endeavors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Caring owners, everyone works as a team

Cons

Management doesn't stand behind their word

Advice to Management

When you say something mean it

"A ship lost in a storm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC

I have been working at Sports Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your really, really like soccer it's a good environment but I think the company is best for those who just want a part time job in Hillsborough or Mebane. Other places pay better so that's where the liking soccer part comes in.

Cons

Where to start? Might as well start with the main problem first… Once upon a time I imagine this was a great company with a unique idea. TImes change, though. The company has not kept up (a bungled technology updated may still be the financial downfall of the company) and its relevance has been lost. The shoes and other gear that were once available no where else are now just a click away on Amazon or straight from the manufacturer. Maybe it's the company's fault or maybe not, but soccer.com is really just not necessary in the form everyone tries to maintain. And mentioning maintaining, the whole company is filled with people just hanging on and doing the minimum (some have worked here forever). Marketing leadership and creative originality are oxymorons and then there is the elephant in the room (the SAP systems update). There are really lots of problems and we've had lay offs so be warned.

Advice to Management

I hate to say it but if you don't do some drastic things the whole ship is going to sink. Bring in some new key leadership people and try to find a new and relevant direction. I'm not a big exec and don't see all the numbers but If I was the Moylans I'd sell and start a new company doing something else. That's just me, though.

"Please listen to us!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsborough, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsborough, NC

I have been working at Sports Endeavors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Call Center or CFC (warehouse in Mebane) is is a reasonable job for a young person working through school.

Cons

Not conducive to advancement. VERY male oriented atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Management: Find another job. You are not helping the Moylans to recover (and grow) from the implementation of this new system. You make those of us that have not given up yet feel frustrated and ineffective. Come out of your office and DO SOMETHING!!! Don't just sit in there and make spreadsheets detailing how much work you have gotten off your desk by giving it to someone else to figure out. Maybe actually learn how to do the things that we are doing instead of telling us we are doing them wrong.

Stakeholders: You can get twice as much done, with a fraction of the mistakes, utilizing half as many people if you just put more resources into hiring, training and retaining your staff - women included. Pay people a decent wage we can actually LIVE with. You are way below industry standard.

AND HR: Don’t bother putting a note on here apologizing and telling me you care about the problems we are having and to 'reach out' to you with details. Your canned responses do not ring true to those of us who are suffering. Also, we know that to come to you is an exercise in futility.

Mar 2, 2017 – HR Recruitment Manager

Thank you for voicing your concerns, as we truly are listening, just as you have asked us to do in your review. While I know you feel we shouldn't bother to respond, I wanted to personally reach out ... More

6. "If you love Soccer"

I have been working at Sports Endeavors part-time

Pros

Some fun people to work with, great benifits if you are a fan of european sports.

Cons

If you are part time, you will likely have a hard time advancing through the ladder.

"Fine for a year or two, not for a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC

I have been working at Sports Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like soccer you'll enjoy the office, which is full of memorabilia, and you'll find games on TV.

Cons

Pay is low for the industry. Other than having soccer on sometimes and a ping pong table outside, there is nothing cool about the office (you may also get yelled at by another department for playing ping pong even if it's after 5 so it kind of defeats the purpose of encouraging fun). Botched new computer system means customers are upset, and you have to take the heat and do extra work. Turnover is high and hiring people on is slow so you're picking up extra work without getting paid more or recognized. Training is lacking when new people are hired. Overall the sense here is that things will continue to get worse across the board. And the reputation in the soccer industry is declining.

Advice to Management

You need to lose the old boy's club, and the culture of promoting based on seniority and favoritism. Instead reward employees willing to bring the company into the 21st century. Inexperienced managers are promoted because of who they drink with on the weekends, not who is best for the department.

Feb 16, 2017 – HR Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as it helps us to grow and improve as an organization. We encourage you to reach out to human resources if you would like to share greater details ... More

"Some great folks, others not so much"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC

I worked at Sports Endeavors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll meet some very nice people here including some in management.

Cons

Toxic and predatory work environment. New ideas are not welcome. This is not a place for professional advancement. Middle management is very cliquey.

Advice to Management

Please stop trying to come across as a hip progressive company. All the British charm in the world won't make SEI any cooler. Own who you are (a retailer of soccer products) and behave accordingly. Placing four Ikea chairs and a table in the corner of a room and calling it a "creative lounge" does not make you google. Especially when this is the extent of the "positive" changes being implemented. Your employees aren't that dumb.

Feb 16, 2017 – HR Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We value all feedback provided by employees, as we use it to grow and improve our processes. We are sorry to hear you had a disappointing work ... More

9. "Summer Job!"

Former Employee - Heat Press Operator in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Heat Press Operator in Mebane, NC

I worked at Sports Endeavors (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast Hire, you have set shifts and times, they give bonus' and rewards, they serve food some shifts and you are able to win prizes, it is a great environment to work in all the managers are nice.

Cons

the shifts are long and its not required but that expect you to work 6 days a week 8 hours a day,

Advice to Management

6 consecutive days is a bit much, maybe a day in-between or 3 days then one off day then continue

"Management"

Pros

Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing

Cons

lack diversity at the top level

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good of boys network

Dec 27, 2016 – HR Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We value all feedback provided by employees, as it helps us to grow and to improve our processes. We are sorry to hear you had a disappointing work ... More

"They suck and the pay is horrible."

Pros

None, none, none, none, none.

Cons

Don't apply. Ever. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay and stop being slave-drivers.