Sportsman's Guide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jay Berlin

1. "Creative Department experience"

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in South Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Over about 15 years there (2008-2013), most of it as a Copywriter, I found the Creative Department to be well-organized, efficient and generally pleasant. Fast-paced, so not a place for "slacking." Quite a bit of variety in work, since we did catalog and web writing, video scripting, emails, promotional elements.

Cons

The company has since (2014?) been acquired and run by a different ownership, Northern Tool and Equipment. It sounds like they have gotten a bit "tighter" and not as "family-oriented" (meaning, letting people go rather roughly, versus the old "family feel.") But I know people still there who don't have any distinct complaints.

Advice to Management

As suggested in "Cons", I think one has to be mindful of offering a stable, good feeling, as the Guide at least used to have. I think a company gets stronger performance, loyalty, etc. when the employees feel "a part of things." Don't know how true that is/isn't now.

2. "Such promise"

I worked at Sportsman's Guide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress and great co-workers

Cons

poor leadership, afraid of change, don't trust or listen to employees

3. "Sales accossiate"

Former Employee - Sales Accossiate in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Accossiate in South Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sportsman's Guide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home, traffic was horrible.

Cons

Management is always getting replaced with new management. Unreliable business practices.

5. "Consider yourself expendable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sportsman's Guide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SG used to be a great place to work. The people in my department and around the company were a genuine pleasure to work with. Now, there's only a handful of people with tenure left.

Cons

Loyalty and dedication won't get you anywhere here. There is zero job security. I'd rate Jay Berlin, the CEO, but he was let go as well.

Advice to Management

To give advice at this point is futile. I will say that Northern Tool should reconsider their advertising about how they help the community. Letting several long time employees go does not bode well for the surrounding area.

6. "Senior Sales Rep"

Pros

The schedule is very flexible for representatives within the call center. Once you begin entering the management levels you are required to work 40 hours and if you're salary more. It's a carefree environment but the company has undergone some changes.

Cons

In order to move up you must network and stick with upper management to gain their favor. The company is privately owned and does things on their own accord no matter if it's morally wrong.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them better. Management needs to get more training and open their eyes to the employees who work hard for the company to succeed.

7. "CSR"

Pros

Nice people, Convenience to home, Great discount

Cons

Poor Salary, horrible management

8. "Call Center Representative"

Former Employee - Call Center Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Call Center Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sportsman's Guide (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was seasonal, it was a good part time job for a college student and it was a cool way of learning your way around a call center and to practice sales. great benefits and compensation.

Cons

a lot of pressure to sale and had to work weekends, only seasonal.

Advice to Management

none

"Can you give negative stars?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Sportsman's Guide full-time

Pros

There must be some good things about working at the Sportsman's Guide. I just can't remember any. So I talked to some friends and I guess the food trucks were nice.

Cons

If you're looking for a place to work where leadership is asleep at the wheel, and where fear and intimidation are the most-loved management tools, then look no further!

Advice to Management

Clean house from top to bottom.

"Department Lead"

Former Employee - Lead in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Lead in South Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sportsman's Guide (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, Good Vacation package.

Cons

When Northern Tool bought them a good company went to hell. they got rid of all the dedicated employees that helped build them and stuck with them during the years when wages and profits were very low. They used to care about employees, now all they care about is the almighty dollar. after almost 20 years of service I my department was out sourced. Upper management is so afraid about their jobs they will screw their own mother. the founder Gary Olen must be having nightmares about what is happening to the great company he built.

Advice to Management

REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE, IF PROFITS FALL DO YOU THINK NORTHERN WILL KEEP YOU? HOPE YOU CAN PAY FOR THAT MILLION DOLLAR HOME WITH YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK.
    MAYBE FINGERHUT WILL HIRE YOU BACK.

"Not a good company"

Former Employee - Receiver in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Receiver in South Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Not many pros. The immediate supervisors were ok for the most part. The best thing is the employee discount for products and if your work is perfect for a whole month you might win a store gift card.

Cons

Upper management does not care about it's employees. Ideas brought to them are ignored. In one case I was demoted for bringing up a politically incorrect idea when I was put on the safety committee. You get written up for just about every mistake you make, no matter how small. Sometime it took less time to correct than to be written up. Minorities absolutely have a longer leash. Lots of people with many years there have been let go in favor of temps. When Northern Tool brought them everything went downhill, including the company symbol. If you are not a yes man you have no chance to go anywhere with this company.

Advice to Management

Treating people like humans and not like property would be a good start but I doubt if there are humans in the HR dept. that can do that.