KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Spotify

Is this your company?

Spotify

Add a Review

Spotify Employee Reviews about "spotify"

Updated Nov 16, 2021

Found 121 of over 963 reviews

4.2
Spotify CEO  and  Co-Founder Daniel Ek
Daniel Ek

What people are saying about Spotify

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "take care of people and great food(in 107 reviews)
  • "great culture and company values(in 95 reviews)
  • "The benefits are great and you can tell this is a company that really cares about its employees.(in 78 reviews)
  • "good work life balance in the company(in 61 reviews)
  • "You have great colleagues to learn from in all different areas.(in 36 reviews)
Cons
  • "Engineers suffer pretty bad amongst all this because their managers are inexperienced and not able to help them grow.(in 29 reviews)
  • "Management sometimes disorganized(in 29 reviews)
  • "Low salaries in Sweden.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Low pay compared to competition.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Depending on team, junior people needing guidance might not always get the time needed (has improved over time though).(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Spotify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "spotify"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent culture and place to work

Nov 16, 2021 - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work life balance at Spotify

Cons

Slow to implement product changes

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Autonomous and horizontal culture

Oct 31, 2021 - Product Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Spotify have a very horizontal and collaborative culture. You will rarely get direct instructions from leadership but a general guideline on the work you will want to focus on. Leadership plays the supportive role for the work that your squad wants to dive into.

Cons

Since the culture is very collaborative, things can move a bit slower. If you do the work to decrease friction and is willing to make compromises, this shouldn't be an issue.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Best workplace with great benefits!

Oct 23, 2021 - Operations Generalist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Spotify has been the best work environment I've been in. The benefits are great and the work/life balance within my team has been instrumental to my mental health the past 2 years. I highly recommend checking out Spotify as an employer.

Cons

Depending on what area you're in the business, it may be hard to get promoted as fast.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Awesome company if you value work life balance but can sacifice a bit of pay

Aug 3, 2021 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, they really care about their people

Cons

Pay could be higher, recieved higher offers but went to Spotify because people love it there

5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great benefits, not great pay

Sep 21, 2021 - Associate Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits and lots of creative people

Cons

The pay for producers at the acquired studios is not the same as that of Spotify-proper so it may feel like you are a second class worker and not valued the same

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worst Manager I've Ever Had

Aug 6, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the internal tooling was fun to play around with if you're a music nerd.

Cons

Working at Spotify was easily the nadir of my career. My manager basically ignored all input from everyone on the team, and didn't do much of anything in terms of providing technical leadership, or helping me with my career growth. He clearly didn't care about how long projects took to complete. Ultimately, he retaliated against myself and two other members of my team after we submitted negative feedback about him during a performance review. Spotify does just about everything possible to allow managers to retaliate against their direct reports. Feedback is not anonymized or obfuscated at all, and managers are able to read their feedback from their direct reports before writing evaluations for their direct reports. Overall Spotify seems like it has a broad spectrum of experiences. Some teams and some managers are presumably great, and you would never have a problem with them. However, the bad managers are very bad, and they're not going anywhere. My advice for anyone thinking of accepting a position here is to make sure you know who you would be reporting to, and how they run their team. If you can, try to get some input from the ICs on that team as well.

43 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place for me at this point in life

Apr 29, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work life balance is excellent. Upper management is transparent and honest. Compensation is good (but not as good as other big tech companies). The NYC office is beautiful and the food program has gotten so much better over time. Spotify is overall a great place to work if you have or are starting a family. The parental leave program is second to none and they're extremely supportive as you reintegrate back into the office.

Cons

If you care solely about maximizing compensation then Spotify might not be for you. You'll make more at any of the big tech companies, but likely the work life balance will be poor. Reorgs are also a way of life here, often times unnecessary. There can also be a lot of politics and backstabbing at the mid-management level.

Continue reading
    9 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

love the nyc office

Apr 23, 2021 - Technical Writer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

take care of people and great food

Cons

with so many different areas the spotify culture can get warped by bad apples

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Spotify - yes, order to cash - not ideal

Feb 5, 2020 - Accountant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

spotify itself free lunch/breakfsat, offsites, intro days trip to sweden, opportunities to really push yourself and learn/grow. Company is humming with growth

Cons

Management decision making, work life balance is terrible, major politics at play. Company is growing so fast, it hasn't figured out how to staff and support these new initiatives, often work is dumped Internal departmental conflict within OTC, where SR manager opinions silence all other voices, true oligarchy of decision making which is not ideal for innovation. I would take a role at spotify, but the order to cash team is not ideal, almost every other team has a better deal than this one

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Feb 19, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities and great colleagues

Cons

Many activist colleagues cause a bit of a toxic environment, and the political affiliation of Spotify has led to a woke mono-culture

4 people found this review helpful