Spotify "stockholm" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Spotify Employee Reviews about "stockholm"

Updated Jan 24, 2020

3.7
Spotify CEO  and  Co-Founder Daniel Ek
Daniel Ek
Pros
Cons
  • "growing pains and learning how to be efficient(in 20 reviews)

• "Only disadvantage was that it's hard for partners to find work in Stockholm(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "stockholm"

Return to all Reviews

"Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Cool office, great perks, new employees get a trip to Stockholm, 6 month maternity leave, cool events and parties. Fridge is always stacked with beer and wine. Free lunch, snacks, soda, breakfast everyday. You occasionally get a free shirt or some sort of swag here or there. We also get the occasional performance and celebrity sighting. Video games galore. Ping pong is popular in the office. Aside from that, the people I work with are wonderful. Not only are they great work wise , but they know how to have fun too. Can’t complain about management either. My managers are always looking out for us and want to see us grow and progress in our careers. Things are always changing at Spotify, which is great because you are never bored. There’s always something changing or something new happening that might impact your work. I see this as a good thing since it keeps you on your toes and provides you with more exposure in a sense. Overall, pretty cool and awesome place to work for.

Cons

Finance tends to work some long hours, especially during month end close. This might interfere with any fun Spotify happy hours or events, but not the biggest deal since there’s always events. Also, working late is pretty standard with most finance positions.

Spotify2018-11-18

"Lack of motivation and unfulfilling work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. You get to travel a lot (hit or miss if you're into that.. personally for me Stockholm gets old) Pay is mid-tier. Still great if you're comfortable knowing most SWE's at other tech companies make more than you. Great insurance, vacation policy, and parental leave.

Cons

With great wlb and autonomy comes some seriously unmotivated employees who take forever to get anything done. Maybe it's because the hiring bar has seriously lowered or maybe it's because there's no bonus structure combined with the fact that Spotify will probably not fire you as long as you push some code and are a fun/nice person. Regardless, at some point, you're going to realize you spend 40 hours a week at work and would like to spend most of it NOT trying to motivate underperforming teammates to actually code and NOT deal with process heavy and debilitating consensus-driven product decisions that get trashed in 6 months because you're re-orged to some other part of the company. Spotify is honestly great if you're a parent or just want to coast because they expect so little from you. That said, if you're ambitious and find satisfaction from actually building great products with hardworking and innovative teammates I'd refrain from coming here.

Spotify2019-08-27

"Good platform to launch career"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great brand, flexible lifetsyle, beloved product.

Cons

Hard to get ahead out of Stockholm office, little opportunity for advancement in career within the company.

Spotify2019-05-21

"Great Perks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free food - Trips to Stockholm - lots of activities

Cons

I am getting tired of the constant reorgs. My team had a great vibe and then was suddenly uprooted and hasn’t recovered. Morale is low across the company because of this. I’ve felt stuck in my role without advancement. Unhappy with manager who doesn’t seem to be able to help or provide any guidance on moving forward.

Spotify2018-12-09

"Spotify Lacks"

I worked at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Free Breakfast and Lunch Daily -Trip To Stockholm Office -Nice people overall in different teams.

Cons

The team I worked in Micromanaged. Everything was meticulously picked at. I believe if you allow your team to lead the rest follows. You feel like you are walking on eggshells most days. There was always something wrong within our team Office management was horrible. Spotify's culture and values did not reflect within my team. All about protecting management. I love the company Hated the team I worked for HR is highly inefficient, and despite its supposedly progressive policies, it rarely aligns with the interest of allowing people to do the best of their work, and mostly serves the purpose of protecting the management of the organization. On the other hand, as far as you never have to deal with HR, they won't get in your way.

Spotify2018-08-09

"Great place to work, if you're on the right team"

Former Employee - IT/Systems in New York, NY

I worked at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited supply of food, drinks, snacks free healthcare work/life balance great social events cool and diverse group of co-workers

Cons

Management focuses on the wrong things. More concerned about people "quotas" then if the actual work is getting done. Hiring is based on these "quotas" rather then just hiring the right person for the job. I'm all about diversity, but when a position that is desperately needed isn't getting filled because the right sex or ethnicity isn't applying and you have a stack of qualified individuals that have applied that's a problem. Not enough room for advancement for those that aren't in Stockholm They sell you this dream that you can do any projects you want and there's a lot of freedom. That all depends on your team. Definitely the opposite for me. Felt stifled. People that have no knowledge about technology are leading technology teams.

Spotify2018-04-18

"Good, not great..."

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome and fun culture where innovation and growth are encouraged Free snacks/lunches, seeing your favorite artist in the office, cool offsite trips, etc. New employees get a trip to Stockholm to learn about the founding of the company "Cool" factor of working for a well recognized brand, and having it on your resume Impact - you will likely get to work on something that impacts tons of users, depends on what area of the company you work in

Cons

Lack of career growth and clear expectations - middle management is wildly inexperienced and offers little to no guidance on the future of product strategy or employee growth plans. Inefficient Meeting culture - a lot of your time is spent attending an endless cycle of pointless meetings. People aren't judged on the quality or performance of the products they ship, but rather on how well you can play to the politics of the company and schedule as many meetings as possible, or write endless amounts of documentation. Lacking true meritocracy and accountability - Lots of cases of nepotism, favoritism, and politics run rampant. You can get by without doing much if you know the right people and play the political game. Compensation - No bonuses, salary is low for comparable companies and work/life balance can suffer at time due to pressure-cooker environment. HR - lackluster hiring process let's really good candidates slip through the cracks since there is no consistent way of evaluating candidates. HR is incredibly disorganized and the onboarding experience can be improved on.

Spotify2018-03-14

"Too much remote work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

- good work life balance - varies by department, but engineering is nice to work with (fewer egos, people are actually graded on working well with teams vs many places that value individual "rockstars" over team dynamics)

Cons

- in my interviews, management was not transparent about the amount of collaboration that has to take place with the Stockholm office - in the NY office, get used to very early meetings, being excluded from decisions, or being jetlagged and using personal time to fly over - very slow moving company, very hard to get teams to cooperate with each other, and management doesn't realize this is a problem - senior leadership isn't experienced or won't bring alignment between teams/departments, and the ceo is young and "fratty" - many of their titles aren't standard, which hurts people's resumes. I don't see the purpose of calling teams "squads" and departments "tribes" except to create an unnecessary insider clique. - overstaffed on "leadership" roles like agile coach, honcho, product manager, and chapter lead relative to number of engineers, which contributes to the lack of speed and difficulty creating alignment - some roles like "agile coach" and "honcho" don't seem to contribute anything to the department

Spotify2018-02-15

"Great company but terrible AP department"

Former Contractor - Accounts Payable in New York, NY

I worked at Spotify for less than a year

Pros

Great company with great benefits. Free lunches daily. Free snacks. This company continues to grow so upward mobility is there for the taking. And just a fun place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately I worked in AP where there was no structure. The AP manager is not qualified for the role and is a bitter person. There is a big disconnect/power struggle with the Stockholm office. Growing pains

Spotify2017-12-16
  10. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Spotify full-time

Pros

Free breakfast, catered lunch on Fridays, Occasional trips to the Stockholm office. Overall a great place to work,

Cons

You are surrounded by superstars, so if you're looking to evolve in your role, get a raise, promotion or even switch teams, you have to stand out and have the right relationships with certain individuals.

Spotify2017-10-16