Spotlight Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great first step in a career"

Former Employee - Coorporate Buyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Coorporate Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for this company for 6 months as an intern. They gave me a really good experience, great networking opportunities. The position gave me a lot of useful information and basic marketing strategies that I use in my current position.

Cons

Biggest challenge was the hours for me-but seriously, if your not looking to work hard in, the entry level, you shouldn't be in the business or marketing field.

Advice to Management

Consider giving out more inventory as bonus'-the products are cool.

2. "Misleading Job Posting"

Former Employee - Events and Promotions Coordinator/Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Events and Promotions Coordinator/Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offers the opportunity to earn commission on in-store sales.

Cons

The job posting was misleading. The position was advertised as Event Planning and Marketing, however, we actually worked as direct sales representatives in Sam's Club stores.

"Sales Person in Sams Club Played Up as Marketing"

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun group of people to work with

Cons

You stand in a Sams Club for 8 or 9 hours a day approaching people and asking them to buy products, but before that you go to impact where they try to get you amped to do this all day and tell you how much money you can make. The pay is a joke. You make either minimum wage or commission, whichever is higher. Benefits? Yeah, right. At first they tell you it's not about how much you sell, but if you don't "ring the bell" they get upset and threaten to not schedule you anymore. They also expect you to spend time when you're not working going to team building events and networking with people from different states. Just don't waste your time. The promise of promotion and the money you can make happens to very few and it's not worth your time.

"Good opportunity if you're up to the challenge"

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Edina, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

Great staff, fun place to work, great opportunity for advancement. If you enjoy sales this would be a great place to work.

Cons

It's much more geared toward sales than they make you think. They say it's not about how much you sell but they get upset if you don't meet a certain standard. It's a lot of work with little reward.

Advice to Management

Better communication and run the office a bit more professionally.

"Misleading"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Edina, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-coworkers are great
    -High Energy daily meetings that are sure to keep you up beat
    -Good basic marketing information
    -Excellent networking opportunities
    -Excellent chance to work on communication skills

Cons

-DISORGANIZED!!!!! I would receive my schedule, and at the tip of a hat I would get a text saying it had been changed. Communication was difficult.
    -No benefits are offered, they try to tell you that it's offset by the amount of money you make, but it's not.
    -Promises are made and not followed through.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate effectively, this means listening as well as talking everyone's ears off.

"Dynamic Team Style"

Pros

The connections I've made while working at Spotlight Group have enriched my personal life and my professional profile. Our collaborative, teamwork - driven atmosphere has brought me very close to my fellow marketing specialists. I know that I can count on other team members for help, and I've been especially excited with helping to train the new additions to the team. Our team is getting stronger all the time with the ideas we have and share.

Cons

Not a ton that I can think of, my experience has been positive overall. We've had a new addition who wasn't willing to work as hard as the rest of us, but that's about it. I found that my hard work has been rewarded.

Advice to Management

I like all the of the team nights and staff team development activites.

8. "Awful Experience"

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

You learned a lot about sales and it forces you to leave your comfort zone and become a better public speaker.

Cons

Felt very much like a cult. Work long hours for commission and you are selling items inside of a Sam's Club which is very humbling.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic expectations for your employees and treat them like real people instead of just a dollar sign.

"Very Misleading"

I have been working at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, opportunities to network

Cons

The interviews are very misleading. I applied for a "Sports and Fashion Marketing" job and ending up standing in Sam's club 8/9 hours a day selling products. Also, you are required to attend morning "atmosphere" for an hour and a half in the morning as well. So basically you are working 9/10/11 hour days, 7 days a week, for terrible pay. They tell you it's not about how much you sell but essentially everything about the job is actually based off of what you sell. Your pay check is crap unless you force these people to buy the product, you don't get promoted unless you sell enough and "ring the bell", if you don't "ring the bell" you get threatened with fewer hours or losing your job. When in the interview process they tell you you'll only be working slightly over half of the days in the "rotation" yet you end up working all but 1. The 1 day you do actually get off, they expect you to spend all day networking or going to team building events so no, you don't actually get any days off. They say the pay outweighs the benefits you don't receive but that's a lie as well. Also, they tell you not to lie to customers while in Sam's Club "promoting" the product and yet, I don't think I ever heard anyone tell the actual truth once. While in your interviews they make it seem like it's this great opportunity to advance quickly through management and that you will be making 6 figures within a year and owning your own company, just know that it's a scam and they are very misleading.

Advice to Management

Be upfront in the interviews and don't make it seem like a marketing, events, promotions job. It's a sales job, let people know that.

"Terrible investment of time"

Pros

Cute meetings in the morning...

Cons

-Meetings are largely useless if you've been in sales/marketing
    -Bait and switch hiring process
    -Low pay
    -No benefits
    -Pushing products like a robot

Advice to Management

Hire people for what they actually do. Be straightforward and don't lie by telling people they're hired on as essentially a manager in training.

"Spotlight Group makes me a better communicator every day!"

Pros

Spotlight Group emphasizes clear and professional communication in its training. Their commitment to effective communication techniques continues as you advance within the company, and I feel well-prepared for success in dealing with clients and the public as a result. Our clients know they can trust us to produce dynamic promotions with honesty and dependability, too, because of this emphasis. I am a much better communicator both professionally and personally thanks to Spotlight Group and plan to grow into the executive levels there.

Cons

The training may seem difficult to some, but that’s about the only thing approaching a negative that I can think of. I’ve been recognized for my hard work, and I’ve never had a bad experience while working for the firm.

Advice to Management

Please continue providing the informative training sessions and team development activities. They really do promote a more efficient team.