Spotzer Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Spotzer CEO Peter Urmson
Peter Urmson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance was good, pretty much a 9-5 schedule" (in 4 reviews)

• "Fast paced with plenty of opportunity to make an impact" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I found that the sheer amount of work was not work the extremely low pay" (in 9 reviews)

• "There is little to no training and personal development opportunities" (in 5 reviews)

"Growing Company with The Opportunities and Challenges that Accompany"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spotzer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, culture, culture. The Denver office is built on collaboration and teamwork. I've consistently been blown away by everyone's willingness to lend a hand when needed. There is an amazing balance of "let's get down to business" and "let's get a beer". The location within the Industry building also offers a really unique environment that is often not available working for this size of business.

Pro/Con - Prepare to do what has never been done before! When working for a small->medium business, positions are created when there is a need. Prepare to create your own methods and put them to the test. Sometimes it can be frustrating and messy, but also really rewarding when you find a new or better way.

Cons

For a while, the Denver office felt like the red-headed step child, with fewer resources and direction focused here. There has been a big push to enhance this office in the last six months. With increased management, communication, and staff, we are already seeing results.

Advice to Management

Recognize key players (in DEN as well as AMS) as the company continues to grow.

Spotzer Response

Jul 25, 2017 – HR Manager

First of all thank you very much for your honest review, we really appreciate your feedback! Really glad to hear that you are enjoying your job at Spotzer Denver, and we understand that sometimes it... More

2. "What is with all these good reviews?"

I have been working at Spotzer full-time

Pros

I've been with spotzer for a few years. I think the only pro is I have some nice coworkers.

Cons

Undervalued. I was hired with a low salary and a promise it would raise after 6 months. It did not. Seems like management is doing alright though.

Work too hard with no reward. They keep talking about "startup" culture. You guys are worth millions and only the low level workers sacrifice anything.

Lies and deceit. I cannot believe the positive reviews on Glassdoor for Spotzer! They are very clearly written by management or HR in Amsterdam (there is no HR in the US).

Advice to Management

Stop lying on glassdoor to make yourselves look better.

"Everything is falling apart"

Pros

-office building in the heart of downtown
    -standard office hours, very little after-hours work

Cons

-terrible management
    -bad products and service
    -we are hemorrhaging our partners and customers
    -managers are novices with bad attitudes
    -Spotzer tricks you into working for them with a cool office and say they're a "family" even though they are not

Advice to Management

Keep partners by providing good products and services.

"avoid this mess at all costs."

Former Employee - Client Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Spotzer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) share your terrible experiences with coworkers domestic and abroad! they all have the same slave-driving experience

2) limited benefits - they pay *most* of healthcare

3) pad your resume while you work elsewhere

Cons

1) all positive reviews of this company are written by management. they are simply false

2) at spotzer, you are just a head. we are a factory, not a creative "design team."

3) countless promises were not followed thru by management - raises, promotions, team outings, company culture improvement, office snacks - it is all fake and lies.

Advice to Management

stop writing glassdoor reviews to boost your rating

"look elsewhere"

I have been working at Spotzer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

can somewhat set your own hours

Cons

low pay, inconsistent leadership/guidance, lack of employee support, multiple resignations; U.S. office has the feeling of being a sinking ship

"An incredible mess."

Current Employee - Production Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spotzer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Your coworkers will understand what you're going through.

Cons

-Denver is "managed" by a young, micromanager with literally no previous experience in the industry.
    -Executive team is full of it. They lie to us about the company direction, raises, bonuses, and more.
    -Promotions are 100% based on office politics and are incredibly rare.
    -You will not be rewarded for hard work.
    -During my interview, I brought up concerns based on Glassdoor reviews. The CEO personally assured us things were getting better. They have only gotten worse.
    -Overworked, underpaid.
    -All the good things about the office have been taken away for "productivity."

Advice to Management

I don't think the management is interested in taking advice - these problems have only gotten worse throughout my time here.

"Client Manager"

I worked at Spotzer full-time

Pros

The people you work with know exactly what youre going through, they feel your pain and you bond over that.

Cons

-A huge portion of the design work from this company is sent overseas to either Manila or India. This was all to save a few bucks, but in the long run it just causes more problems.
    -They don't have enough client managers to manage the horrible work they produce. They jump into partnerships with other companies before they solidify anything and then expect the client managers to pick up the slack when things go to hell.
    -Upper management is a joke. The CEO sends out "morale" boosting emails just make it look like things are going well.
    -They don't invest in their employees. You work long hours and then when you ask for a raise of any sort they ignore you and ask you to prove your worth.

"Going downhill fast"

I have been working at Spotzer full-time

Pros

We had a really great group for a while. Our boss was approachable and kept us on track and it seemed like everyone was pretty happy for a while.

Cons

About a year ago we got a new boss and they fired the old one. The new boss picked a few favorites and holes up in a conference room in "meetings" all the time. He arrives to work after everyone and leaves early for more "meetings."

We have been refused raises and performance bonuses for a while. They keep getting "delayed."

They just recently laid off a few employees and are outsourcing everything to India, which is disappointing because I feel a huge selling point is the work we do here in the states.

The CEO seems to be selling business quicker than he can actually fulfill it, which leads to uncomfortable conversations with our partners. We are just told to "push back on them."

It seems like Spotzer is making a ton of money off our work in Denver, but they just don't invest in the team.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team and get a leader, not a boss.

Figure out your internal systems and get your product clearly defined before you launch new partnerships. It's embarrassing to be in the field with no information from anyone.

Invest in local leadership that has some understanding of the work we do here.

"There are much better places to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Spotzer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A lot of the team members are great to work with. I've made a few great friends.
    - They're also pretty helpful. If you have too much on your plate, someone else on your team is available to help.
    - The location in the Industry building is pretty awesome. Not only do you work in your office, you work in a building full of other offices and have a chance to interact with lots of other people. Events held in the building are pretty cool too. Free beer on tap if that's your thing.
    - If you're fresh out of college, this isn't a bad place to get your feet wet. However, don't stay beyond a couple years or else you'll get stale.
    - Spotzer understands what it is they're trying to do in the SMB environment

Cons

-... but they're terrible at doing it. They always seem to be trying to grow and get new clients without fully thinking about and understanding how they'll handle it internally. When a new client is brought on processes are developed in a real-life situation as opposed to establishing a game-plan first. They have an idea of what they'd like to do, but it's too general and never really seems to go that way.
    - You don't actually work with the end client... you work with a middle-man company that actually brought on the end client, so that middle-man is your client. I'd much rather work with the end client so you don't need to have a middle-man in every decision - really slows things down.
    - Projects are fast turn, meaning quality is typically the first thing to go out the window. If you're looking to produce great work, this isn't the place to be.
    - Along those lines - there is very little room for any sort of creative thinking or problem-solving. Everything is templated. There is no challenge here (unless your challenge is to see how many websites you can churn out).
    - The Denver office is a drop in the bucket of the larger Spotzer empire. If you're happy with being a single fish in a vast ocean, this is your place. If you want to be able to make solid contributions to the company, this is not your place.
    - Other offices are international, and getting feedback on something (commonly) could take an entire day. This is a 'Con' because a lot of the time these decisions are simple and can be easily made in-house, but you have to wait on others on a different continent. Slows down the process.
    - Too many tools. Three different systems to chat internally? Really?
    - No practical room for advancement. It wasn't soon after I started that I realized how the org structure is limiting if you're not in the HQ.
    - Along those lines, not a lot of senior-level people to learn from.
    - As stated above, this is a young person's game - a place to learn how to do something but definitely not a place to refine your skills. Great for those fresh out of college, not so much for those with experience and wanting to learn new things.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and fix what you're working with now instead of continuing full steam on gaining more clients. There is plenty that needs to be fixed now that could ultimately help you in the future.

"Denver office is a joke"

I have been working at Spotzer full-time

Pros

-Some really great team members
    -Decent office hours
    -Great office space (in INDUSTRY Denver)

Cons

-Quick company turnover
    -Management in Denver has no experience in this industry?
    -Senior management is very cliquey, unapproachable
    -Hirings & firings seem political

Advice to Management

-Hire someone who is a leader, not just a boss. Preferably someone that actually understands some aspect of the work we do here.