Spreadshirt Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Spreadshirt CEO, Managing Director Philip Rooke
Philip Rooke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Spreadshirt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job. I really appreciate that the company allows flexibility in your workday and offers PTO & great benefits. Spreadshirt has a great work life balance. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by management. I'm enjoying learning new things and picking up new skills.The perks are awesome. Employee appreciation outings regularly, Donuts, bagels and fruit provided to us employees every other week. They even celebrate quirky National/International Days like "International Tea Day" where they provide both a hot and iced tea. This has been my absolute favorite job, hands down.

Cons

Spreadshirt is very proactive in keeping a positive & efficient work environment. Any "Con" doesn't stay a "Con" long enough to become an issue. The office doors are always open and there is always someone available to help if you are having an issue. Everything is handled in a timely & precise manner and that keeps everything running smoothly. The bad apples are weeded out and all issues are immediately and appropriately resolved. It's an easy place to work. You just have to accurately do your job!

2. "Awesome Teamwork FTW!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Spreadshirt (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and relaxed atmosphere while still getting the work done! I enjoy my co-workers and all are willing to help where needed most, true teamwork, which in the end I feel benefits the customers most.

Internally I've seen employees promoted quickly from intern or entry level to management or larger roles depending on the changing needs as the company grows. If you're a team player you can go far.

We have nice perks that include pay bonuses, many free lunches, relaxed dress code (because who likes ties???), employee discount code and annual events where they are more than generous. Beyond those regular perks, it's also nice to have friends and co-workers around the world.

Cons

I guess the only downside I can think of is that since we are a big global company we all can't be together more often, but skype and technology helps. If you're not good at communicating or understanding different cultures, this probably isn't the best job for you.

Advice to Management

Stay on target! :) (Star Wars reference)

"Had so much potential but they blew it!"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Spreadshirt (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to meet some great people in Boston, Greensburg, and Leipzig. I learned a lot and credit it to the sales managers in Boston. I made incredible connections throughout the industry. I was listened to and encouraged to speak out.

Cons

The company got too comfortable in the past decade and now aren't able to keep up with their competitors. They'll be bankrupt by 2018. The VP and Director of Sales tried numerous times to wake up the execs in Germany but were not listened to. The problem wasn't that the SALES TEAM IN BOSTON was incompetent, it was that no one would listen to them and they had to play the hand they were dealt. The morale in the office is depressing. Depressing enough that you can't get out of bed. They've had 3 rounds of layoffs since January and there are more to come. They just laid off the people with the most experience (their last hope) with clients, agencies, and connections.

The disconnect between North America and Germany really sets the tone for the way the departments are divided. No one collaborates. No one helps each other. They still haven't figured out that the way you market to Europe will not translate to dollars in the US. Communication is bad. The engineers do whatever they want and don't tell the departments that actually deals with clients and customers about the changes. Developers whose jobs are to fix things when they break will refuse to fix a platform bug if they don't think it's critical. Their expertise is to fix things not to judge based off of their little knowledge of user experience.

Production is a joke. Samples for Key Account always got messed up. Print quality is poor no matter how many tests are run. And, for some reason, QA doesn't catch print errors and sends apparel with HOLES in them out all the time.

Saving the best for last- The HR department is what has ruined the years I've invested working at Spreadshirt. God forbid you're given more than 2 weeks notice that insurance is changing. They screw up people's paychecks EVERY TIME they change something so simple in the system. If you get a raise of bonus, it won't be paid out until at least a month later. For Christmas, they'll show you how much your contribution means to the company by sending you a tin can with a Capri Sun and old Halloween candy - Am I in Kindergarten? WORST OF ALL, they do not respond to you in a timely manner. Ever. You can Skype, call, email and CC God himself but you won't get an answer until it's too late.

Advice to Management

Since you cleaned house in Boston, it's time to do the same in every other location/ department and start at the top. If not, freshen up your resume and LinkedIn profile. How will you stay open if you can't pay back investors?

"Unfortunate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Spreadshirt full-time

Pros

The company itself had an interesting concept and could do very well if it was better executed. I was able to visit the Leipzig office which seemed like an awesome work environment compared to the Boston office. I met some pretty amazing people while I was working here!

Cons

Micromanagement is a huge problem here. I constantly felt like a student under a microscope when I should have felt like a valued hard working employee. On many occasions one manager basically verbally berated employees (for everyone to hear) until they quit. There was a pretty high turnover rate over the time that I was here and I would chalk that up to poor upper management, low company moral, and low pay.

I can't begin to describe how poorly the HR department acts. I never felt safe to go to them about anything. They NEVER respond to employees questions or concerns (maybe they just couldn't be bothered with the Boston office?). I've also heard one specific HR employee say some pretty disgusting things about employees (in front of me and other employees) which was extremely disheartening.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, pay attention to the negative impact of your management teams, offer competitive pay (or at the very least pay employees a livable wage in the Boston area).

"Needs a real shake up"

Current Employee - Non-production in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Non-production in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Spreadshirt (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. HR has frequent special events like Pizza day, Healthy breakfast days, donuts a couple time a month. Good benefits. If the cost of health Ins goes up too much the company has always picked up more of the cost. I feel like I am able to be productive and meet the goals I'm being asked to meet.

Cons

Pretty much everyone is the Boston office is impossible to deal with. I just can't even put it into words. They are so demanding in an unreasonable way and most of the time the problem exists because of their own mistake or failure to understand the situation. They keep going down the same road to try to get new business instead of venturing off the already deteriorated 1980's path.

Advice to Management

Shake things up. Drop the top Sales management people in Boston. They are actually hurting the company.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Production Associate in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Production Associate in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Spreadshirt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, easy tasks.

Cons

The most problems you'll have there is probably with a couple of people. That's all

Advice to Management

None

7. "not a bad company to work for but I can't recommend it either"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Spreadshirt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits for a company of this size

Cons

there are some lazy people that work as little as possible as long as they get by with it
    pay is below average

Advice to Management

half of the management should be replaced as they don't deliver, also one reason why growth has slowed down

"Its a very good experience"

Current Employee - Designer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Designer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Spreadshirt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to design clothes, bags and shoes and have your own website for free

Cons

Sales can be slow. Have to promote and market your shop to get visitors to your site.

Advice to Management

Don't give up. Market and promote your website as much as possible.

"Spreadshirt has potential but poor management is a major drawback."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Spreadshirt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non-management co-workers provide a supportive environment and quality banter. Excellent opportunity to gain critical skills for a successful career.

Cons

The management acts aggressively, hindering the overall performance of the team. Team efforts are rarely reinforced or recognized. Growth opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

The US team should have the same benefits as HQ in Germany and management roles should be reviewed to improve overall moral.

"Lack of skilled leadership inhibited workflow"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Spreadshirt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location in Downtown Boston, opportunities to travel and a discount on products.

Cons

Inexperienced and old fashioned managers are not willing to look at modern proven sales processes. The office is deathly silent, with any noise or conversation being seen as lack of productivity.

Everyone has the title 'Manager' so it really means nothing in this company. No one is really managing anyone, although there is often a battle of egos to watch.

Sales takes on a new meaning here, with 90% being done via email and the remaining 10% conducted on the phone whilst hidden in the back room so as not to disturb the very fussy VP of Sales (a title that he seems to have no experience in). It's probably the most awkward workplace I've been in.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new strategy, clean out the VP and Director of Sales in the Boston office for people that have talent in these areas.