Spredfast Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Spredfast President and CEO Rod Favaron
Rod Favaron

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The reputation for good work/life balance is well deserved" (in 16 reviews)

• "Good (but diminishing) perks like free lunch" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Benefits are competitive but only lack is 401k matching" (in 15 reviews)

• "No 401K match and the plan options are so-so" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A unicorn of the Tech World: An actual well-rounded company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic Leadership that actually cares about their employees
    - Great culture flowing with positivity, collaboration, and a desire to set each other up for success
    - Leadership sets practical goals and takes ownership of their part in reaching those
    - Transparency is valued
    - Solid Product with a realistic roadmap
    - The perks (catered lunch Mon-Thurs, 24/7 access to parking garage, snacks, beer on tap, showers, easy access to lady Bird lake trail, etc.)
    - Plenty of opportunities to move up and around in the company

Cons

- Relatively slower evolution of Product Roadmap
    - Internal feedback channels for Product could be more formalized

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing.

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for taking time to write this positive review! We appreciate your work and are happy to have you part of the team.

2. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture, benefits, atmosphere, and the ability to impact change at a growing company makes Spredfast an incredible place to work at.

Cons

Every growing company has to work things out as they evolve.

May 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your review!

"Drink the free lunch kool-aid"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Some legitimately smart people there
    * Downtown office

Cons

* Laughable management - schizophrenic decision making
    * Have to fight tooth and nail for mediocre compensation
    * Expected to be on Slack *constantly*
    * Extremely political

Jun 18, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that there are some very smart people who work at Spredfast. We value people, so it's disappointing to hear about your personal experience with management. With... More

"Great people, poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing customers and projects. Driven, smart and fun employees. Good (but diminishing) perks like free lunch.

Cons

Every manager I've had (and I've had quite a few due to constant team change) was promoted due to being a high performer, not for having management skills. This led to having some really bad experiences with management. Across my team, people had chronic issues getting helpful feedback, training, raises or promotions. Furthermore, when issues arose and were escalated pretty high up the chain, there was a severe lack of support (a lot of talk, very little action), along with some gaslighting.

HR solicits regular, anonymous feedback, and I genuinely believe they are invested in improving the situation. Unfortunately, at least in my experience, this has yet to be solved.

Advice to Management

Solicit regular reviews for managers, directors and VPs. Have HR or other parties review these so higher-ups can't continue to ignore issues or brush them under the rug. Ensure management understands Spredfast's actual commitment to employee growth so employees aren't penalized for expressing interest in career growth.

May 14, 2018 – Talent Specialist

It’s awesome to see you’ve been working here for over three years! Thanks for your commitment, and for taking time to provide feedback. Managers are carefully selected, and we are working hard to... More

5. "Good and Bad"

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

The people, good benefits, vacation and work from home policy

Cons

- Company prides themselves on transparency but there is a total lack of transparency within the company. Especially between upper management and the rest of the company.
    - Too Austin centric, does not appreciate the values of other markets, especially New York, NY.

Advice to Management

- Be more open, do some marketing in NYC.

May 14, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Spredfast values all employees, as well as transparency and alignment across the business. We do our best to achieve #glohesion by implementing initiatives like our recent global company Kickoff... More

"Fun place to work"

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

-Challenging industry that changes rapidly - always new things to learn
    -Fun work
    -Spredfast one of the top players and had a distinct philosophy on how to win
    -Catered lunch (extremely good food)
    -Great location in downtown ATX
    -SXSW private party one of the best at interactive
    -Industry consolidation will likely favor a firm like Spredfast

Cons

-Training was not well-organized
    -Was getting more political by the time I left as company grew
    -Culturally, can be some immaturity at times, particularly in lower and mid-levels

Mar 26, 2018 – Talent Specialist

We believe a professional work environment and structured training programs are critical to employee career growth and company success. While we have programs and policies in place to foster these... More

"Great place to work in Austin, but needs improvements"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Besides the obvious (catered lunch, downtown austin office, unlimited snacks and vacation)...
    • Elite clients like the NFL, Pepsi, GM actually use the product and have legitimized it. The product, although nowhere near perfect, is a fantastic tool with visionaries behind it. It's an exciting product to work on, with a lot of potential. This makes Spredfast one of the more exciting Austin startups to work at.
    • Work/Life balance is achievable, depending on the team.
    • Supportive culture - people are very friendly and open minded. Lots of well-educated and talented people. Managers that care and want to see you succeed.
    • Pay is competitive/comfortable for Austin.

Cons

• Too many clueless people in positions of power, who don't always put the company's best interests in place of their own. The cluelessness puts immense pressure on their teams because it's a constant cat-and-mouse game. Team strategies are never clear and concrete, which can be frustrating after you've been here a year. This culture is not data-centric, leaving people with freedom to do whatever they want with little accountability for what it means to the business.
    • Leaders are reactive; lack of foresight
    • Lack of transparency i.e. when colleagues were promoted, there was sensitivity on making it public. Perhaps if we had actual goals that we were accountable for, and there were less politics, then maybe announcing promotions wouldn't be perceived as arbitrary.
    • No manager training. At the minimum, we should train managers on what the core values mean in management to create a consistent experience across teams.
    • Many of the recent (and highly positive) reviews have come from employees that are brand new to the company, FYI.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a stronger community through giving manager training, finding internal mentors, encouraging employees to reach beyond the scope of their daily tasks.
    Bring in outside help with an objective point of view to make real change.

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

We appreciate you taking time to write this review! We do have great visionaries behind our product, and Spredfast leaders work hard on strategies that aim to achieve our North Star. We recognize... More

"Great place for new moms"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

The reputation for good work/life balance is well deserved. My maternity leave pay was great and better than what my friends at other tech companies had gotten in Austin. There are pump rooms on every floor of my office (HQ) and people here have been bending over backwards to make sure my transition back to work was as easy as possible.

Cons

Conference rooms in Austin are almost always booked solid, so often we have to use open areas for meetings or calls which can get loud and distracting.

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thanks for calling out our maternity leave benefits! We do our best to provide parents with the support and resources needed to have a comfortable leave and smooth transition back to work. We are... More

9. "Surprised By The Reviews"

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, i do want to say there was an update and they do match 401K now - YAY!

I’ve been here for almost a year and i can truly say this is the best job I’ve had yet.

-Encouragement, leadership, and true team work inspiration from management.
    -Trust: do your work and they let you do you. You are the one that truly sets your path at Spredfast. Flexible work from Home option when needed.
    -Opportunities it could make your head spin. You can be open with your management with personal goals and things you want to work towards. They’ll always help get you there, even if it is to another team. Since they’re growing so fast, it’s easy for new things to pop up. Keep your eyes peeled and voice it!
    -Work hard, play hard. They give lunches Monday through Thursday. Great casual environment. Free beer and coffee, team building activities, happy hour, and ping pong. Unlimited vacay and occasional WFH opportunities.
    -Always open to suggestions and feedback, even with external teams. This is another place you just have to really voice it. Have a great idea for a process or implementation? Managers wanna hear it and it’s super encouraging to keep moving forward and work hard.
    -Great people!! I’ve never worked with a smarter bunch honestly. I learn new things everyday and the people are awesome at what they do. Koodo’s to hiring and management!
    -Recognition: Management is constantly recognizing hard work that is done.

I could seriously go on and on, but i think you get the idea.

Cons

Some cons at times would be a large workload and lots of stretch projects. It’s bittersweet though. To me, i love it and gladly accept the challenge. Others may see this as a downfall.

Advice to Management

No advice, just thank you for all you do!

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

We are proud of these pros and happy that you have had a positive experience at Spredfast. Thank you for your hard work!

10. "Spredfast"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Caring and transparent executive team
    Really talented co-workers
    Interesting market
    Fun workplace
    Fair pay
    Good work /life balance

Cons

The benefits are OK, more in line with a younger company.

Mar 12, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We couldn't agree more on your thoughts around the people and environment. We also agree that the benefits are more in line with the size company that we are. But... More