Spredfast Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Rod Favaron

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Spredfast offers a great work/life balance while still providing new challenges and opportunities for growth (in 13 reviews)

• Great people - Fun Atmosphere - Free Lunch - Exciting Industry (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are competitive but only lack is 401k matching (in 15 reviews)

• No 401K match and the plan options are so-so (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Culture, Awesome Energy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the balance of being small enough to be on first name basis, but big enough to have such a wealth of knowledge. There are so many people here who are experts in their area.

Cons

Being downtown has some drawbacks if you live far away.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. It pays back tenfold.

2. "Marketing"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

-brilliant people
    -collaborative work environment
    -catered lunches
    -opportunity to work on different projects

Cons

-no apparent cons thus far

"So Far So Great"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

I'm a relatively new employee, but I'll say that the onboarding was hands down the best that I've ever experienced when it comes to setting you up for contributing to the company quickly and effectively (without having to simply pretend that you know what you're doing). There are some great tools like ALEX that Spredfast has invested in to give new hires a great onboarding experience.

Talent-wise, there are a lot of really impressive folks working here from what I've seen. But that should be expected of a company of Spredfast's size where you can still reasonably scrutinize every hire. What I've really been impressed with is middle management's approach to coaching and development. Throughout my career, I've experienced a lot of management styles and found that it's incredibly rare to work under management, like what I've seen at Spredfast, that sees each individual for his/her own strengths/personality and tries to create a relationship that will help each individual be the best that he/she can be given those strengths. Many managers I've had will talk this talk but won't walk the walk. Of course, I don't report to every middle-manager at Spredfast so this statement only reflects my narrow experience.

Internal information is organized and structured phenomenally well. We have great systems in place that make it very easy (relatively speaking) to find information on product, industry knowledge, competitive, etc. And it seems like there is a great culture of encouraging everyone to contribute to the internal knowledgebase. In the several SaaS companies I've worked for, I've never seen a better use of SFDC for CRM and Salesforce Automation. And I've definitely never seen a better use of cloud documentation via Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, etc.

Cons

Generally speaking, it seems like a friction exists between teams and departments that I've been exposed to. There is a certain element of tribalism within teams, which can create strong bonds and loyalty within the team, but can also make it more challenging to work with tangent teams. To put this in perspective though, I would say that the interdepartmental friction is generally on par with other places I've worked at in the past. Perhaps slightly higher.

Advice to Management

You've certainly done a lot of things right to put Spredfast where it is today in terms of culture and marketplace position. Perhaps take a page out of Michelle Obama's book and try to increase empathy between teams (easier said than done, of course). I feel like we're in a great situation overall, and what might take us to the next level is to somehow enhance trust and empathy between teams.

4. "Overall a great place to work, but lacking in key aspects"

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Many of the startup perks held over as the company matured.
    • Fun culture that generally self selects affable, hard working, people.
    • Unlimited vacation (just make sure you take it because this also means there's no vacation pay out if you leave)
    • Snacks (which could use some rotating but also, you're getting free snacks)
    • Free catered lunch from Whole Foods Monday - Thursday
    • Beer on tap

The benefits offered are pretty great, especially if you want an HSA.
    • HSA with match
    • FSA
    • 401(k) (without match)
    • Maternity leave, some paternity leave (albeit not as long as mat leave)

Cons

• When strategies shift, and they do so a couple times a year, people are left behind in the wake. Re-orgs, account management model changes, sales team focus - they all result in shifting goal posts. With little professional development outside of sales other departments are left scrambling to adjust to changes with little guidance.
    • The company doesn't have a culture of development. Goals are loosely enforced (if you get any at all). There is no uniform review structure and no internal training (outside of sales). They can't settle on internal development tools so each team is at the whim of their VP or managers when it comes to development focus.
    • There is little racial/ethnic diversity, but this may be an Austin problem. There is also a skew towards youth, which only becomes problematic when you don't have structures to help young people develop skills.
    • The open office plan can be terrible, depending on who you end up sitting next to. There are a lot of people in the Austin HQ and they just keep jamming them in and moving them around.

Advice to Management

Lean in and listen to your teams; they are smart and hard working. You can't run an org successfully via edict, ego, or last minute scramble. Eventually, companies have to grow up and that means focusing on the structures (not just the sales) that make successful growth happen.

5. "Great, fast-growing enterprise-focused B2B company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

diversity in leadership, emphasis on transparency as a business, flexible working hours, positive 'nice people' culture, great downtown location, emphasis on professional development & growth, ability to move into other departments if desired, catered healthy lunch & snacks, lots of natural light in office, emphasis on 1:1 check-ins with managers; generous vacation policy

Cons

Managers are expected to be individual contributors as well as manage direct reports, which means a lot of extra overhead work that is difficult to account for / bill. As transparent as the leadership is, there are still many micro decisions that are made at the team level that aren't always communicated with higher-level business context. Office decor is uninspired and brand doesn't really come through to tie the interior design together like you might see in other companies, e.g. Facebook, Etsy, Pinterest, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the management training so that all managers are getting standardized messaging across the business. Maybe there should be check-ins for managers every 3-6m.

There's still many parts of the business that act as independent units and encourage its members to 'do whatever they need to do to be successful', which has many consequences. One of those consequences is fractured branding, divergent elevator pitches and presentation styles. There's less top-down mandating of these sorts of things, and more emphasis on business units needing to facilitate their own collaboration.

"Outlook Uncertain"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Great perks if you're living in Austin or London. Relatively easy to move around the company if you want to try different functions. Middle management is generally made up of great people with few exceptions. An excellent stepping-stone if you want to get into SaaS or work for a social network.

Cons

Staggering amount of nepotism in the hiring process, particularly in leadership. Bad leaders are hired for and protected by their social status with executives. There is fracturing amongst different teams. Each team seems to be its own fiefdom and resists helping other parts of the business unless forced by SLT and above. The product has been unstable and difficult for customers to use for what feels like over a year now, and progress on fixing it is too slow. Remote employees are second-class citizens.

Advice to Management

Focus on making the company profitable and sell this thing so we can all get paid and move on before the lack of product stability/usability seals our fate. CEO's rumored obsession with going IPO feels like a missed opportunity and an ego play instead of a sound strategy.

7. "Intern"

Pros

Great culture, atmosphere, and startup vibe!

Cons

Can't really think of a con.

8. "In for the long haul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart People, Interesting Industry and Customers, Long Term Growth

Cons

Lots of change and growing pains

Advice to Management

watch how much you are asking your teams to stretch and for how long. Top talent gets burned out when what was supposed to be a short term sprint becomes a new normal workload.

9. "Good, but not great"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

An amazing product as it evolves into a more strategic product with interesting customers leading the social and marketing spaces. Good compensation and decent benefits.

Cons

Few opportunities for promotion or recognition outside Austin HQ. No 401k matching, health benefits outside Texas are basic. The culture is super-focused on making the Austin experience good with much less thought outside of Austin as to the "company experience" of remote teams. Teams in Austin get lunch every day, monthly social activities, big parties like summer picnics and holiday parties, and small team outings on a quarterly basis. (London is the only other place where there is potential growth, advancement, and support.) If you work outside London or Austin, it's a challenge to stay connected to the company and feel as valuable with fewer opportunities, company sponsored activities, and management support.

Advice to Management

Work to make the company a place where all employees are valued regardless of location. Improve training for managers so they are better equipped to manage teams they don't see in person regularly.

10. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, great benefits, relaxed office atmosphere

Cons

Growing really quickly, which has its pain points