Spredfast Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rod Favaron

Pros
  • A lot of freedom in work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Free lunches and snacks, nice offices, cool products, good tools (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Less important: no real equity options, no 401k matching, health plans could be better, one of the company buildings is extremely vanilla (in 6 reviews)

• Its open office floor plan so your co-workers might distract you (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place!"

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Passionate group of people who are all looking to better the company and themselves.

Cons

Tough to be in an environment where your software relies on social networks and needs to adjust quickly with the changes in the industry.

"The good old days are gone"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free food, massages, snacks, other things to keep you distracted from some of the shortcomings

Cons

Under the new management, everyone is looking over their shoulder and afraid for their jobs. Sales and customer support our specially paranoid as well they should be given the new CRO's direction. It is not an open environment.. it is not an environment where you can voice concerns without repercussions. I know on three specific occasions people have been let go because they told the truth about things that were not working internally.

Advice to Management

credibility has been lost due to inconsistencies between what is said and what is done. I think being very forthright, less secretive and honest on a consistent basis could go along way to make the employees feel more secure.

"This is a great place to work--if you are a narcissist, bright young lemming, or both."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches and snacks, nice offices, cool products, good tools.

Cons

Group think, ambition before people, only the jerks get promoted, self-interested management that only pretends to care about employees and good values, a CEO who regularly and childishly trashes the competition (which sets the tone for the whole company), a company that is increasingly indebted to venture capital, no 401k matching or any real investment in employees' futures.

Advice to Management

Reward good work, not group-think, sycophancy, and hours spent in the office. Do to your employees what you would have done to yourself.

"Mixed feelings"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

A lot of freedom in work/life balance. Pretty fun place to work. Pretty smart people.

Cons

No 401K match. Lack of standards for tooling/technology leads to a lot of overlap in functionality and a lot of rework when things are implemented one way only to be reimplemented another way in less than a year. A little bit of planning and small-scale trials would go a long way.

Advice to Management

Have development teams spend more time and energy in the planning phases of large projects to build consensus on the specific technologies to be used. Specifically, use a tool like a decision matrix to evaluate options in a technology to be implemented or choose which technology to keep. Then if the technology is new do small-scale trials of one or two of the top contenders before choosing what to implement at full scale.

Jan 24, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts and write this review! Spredfast moves quickly to keep pace with the ever-changing social industry we operate in. While we do our best to get things ... More

6. "Great company with great culture..."

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Really great work/life balance and the best group of coworkers I've ever had.

Cons

Tried to grow to fast

Jan 24, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Maintaining a thriving culture is a priority at Spredfast, and we are glad that you have experienced this as we experience hyper-growth. Thanks for your review!

"ok"

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

work-life balance, strong platform for publishing

Cons

high turnover in management, nepotism, non thoughtful in GTM strategy

Advice to Management

test first, launch later, and think about how customers will use the tools. think more about target market and who we want to be, have a clear GTM strategy, increase awareness in the US and globally, focus on real case studies/ROI

8. "Came in excited, left in disbelief"

I worked at Spredfast full-time

Pros

- The very (very) few people who were genuine and trustworthy were outstanding to work with
    - The product was an easy sell, as customers wanted to use it and found the budget to do so.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are so many. As a remote employee, I never felt as though I was part of the team-- and I later realized I wasn't. If you aren't in Austin, you basically aren't part of the org; no matter the revenue you generate, responsibilities you oversee etc, you are nonexistent. After multiple requests for on-site attendance from upper management, not one was trip made. Many times 1x1's were canceled at the last minute, feedback was limited at best, absolutely zero upward mobility (even when YOU take the initiative as employee to do so). Spredfast is also very very good at appearing warm, welcoming, #free #open #fun etc but in fact, I've never felt more distrusting of an organization in my life. It's extremely two faced and dishonest, all while blaming everyone/everything but themselves. Reading HR responses here, its infuriating as it's not "growth" or "moving fast" or “employees not speaking up” yadda yadda yadda….that causes these issues; it's poor leadership, an absurd boys club culture, a false sense of security and lots of lip service. I used to love our CEO as I felt he was fair, a force in the industry, involved and quite frankly a great person overall. That quickly changed when meetings became childish chants about killing our competitors for several minutes. Enough already. He also brought in the folks that have since taken the company on a big downward spiral, so that's another strike against him. It's not a coincidence that several reviews state the same thing-- if you voice your opinion, aren’t a pushover or professionally disagree with something, you'd better have a job offer; your days are numbered.

Advice to Management

1) Get rid of the boys club mentality. It's quite dumb and just a really really bad look.
    2) If you REALLY want to attract and RETAIN top talent, learn how to treat those that work there; allow them to express their opinions about product concerns, management issues, internal workflows and customer complaints. Quit retaliating against those who disagree with decisions; it's obvious and tacky.
    3) Provide ACTUAL opportunities to grow; top employees want a place with upward mobility and that's a good thing. Stop promoting those who shouldn't be managing teams or overseeing large clients.
    4) Practice what you preach. Stop blaming everyone for the problems at this company. The executives that have been brought in are NOT the right people to run this org and it's obvious on many levels.

"Not worth an application"

I worked at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good experience working with new web technologies
    - Very flexible working hours
    - Catered lunches

Cons

- Horrible upper management
    - Terrible communication between teams
    - Lack of focus in product development
    - Elitest developers and bad development practices
    - Bad job security

10. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free catered lunches 4 days a week, management that cares about your professional opinion

Cons

Sometimes it can get a little political

"Great Culture, Great Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best company cultures you will find. People truly care about each other and work as a team. There isn't the backstabbing and trampling of others to move up like you see at many other tech start-ups.
    Growth is realistic, steady and sustainable.
    At HQ, gourmet lunches are served four days per week.
    All the soda, La Croix, and snacks you can handle.
    Flexibility to work form home as necessary.
    Strong onboarding process for new employees.
    Lots of room to promote and grow your career.

Cons

Not much that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing by putting people first.
    Maybe refine the product enhancement process to be a bit more structured.

Jan 9, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Thanks for taking time to write this great review!