Sprig Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Sprig Electric Chairman and CEO Pepper Snyder
Pepper Snyder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Benefits and Incentives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great medical benefits and management/founder cares about employees

Cons

Departments don't always work well together

2. "Fun company to work for"

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time

Pros

Good pay, full benefits, 401k options, fun holiday parties, donate to local charities, opportunity to move up.

Cons

Kind of funky hours, but understandable for the business. Lots of changes still happening, so not always clear who does what.

Advice to Management

Have a better review structure set up.

3. "Better for non structure driven individuals"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to move up, and opportunity to manage projects your way due to lack of structure. Family culture and flexible executives.

Cons

Things can get messy due to lack of structure, huge learning curve because nothing is standardized. Family culture can get catty.

Advice to Management

Train your PEs as if they have never been electricians, because they haven’t.

4. "Ok Company"

I worked at Sprig Electric full-time

Pros

Great training and room for advancement.

Cons

Too much politics and office drama.

5. "Improving"

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time

Pros

They keep moving forward to improve!

Cons

There have been a lot of changes, even though for the good it doesn't always feel like that to some employees.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward like you are.

6. "Going Downhill Fast"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sprig Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really don't have anything good to say about the company other than a lot of my co-workers were good people.

Cons

MANAGEMENT - They are liars, they don't pull through with any of the promises they make you when they hire you on, they like to dangle carrots in front of their employee's and act like they are going to do something and then....nothing. There are several people that are just a waste of space but keep moving up because they are good suck ups. They pay less than their competitors unless you are one of the suck ups. The company is tanking quickly due to managements ways.

Advice to Management

It's too bad they can't get rid of management altogether since they are partial owners. Not one of them is on the level. I used to think there was one out of the group but I found out through my experience and others that the person I thought was the good one isn't any better than the rest of them. A bunch of cheats.

7. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sprig is a great company with amazing people. Sprig truly knows how to make you feel like you are working with your family but still get the work done.

Cons

Sprig needs to work on coming into 2017 and they are working on it. The company is a little old school and while that isn't bad, the younger employees aren't given the tools to succeed in silicon valley and the high tech construction industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that will still be there when you retire. Management needs to put more trust into the younger employees, cultivate, and groom them to not only help Sprig grow now but help Sprig thrive for years to come.

8. "Ready for the Challenge"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Sprig Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Career Advancements are readily available
    -flexibility in my role (able to work from many locations due to my job requirements)
    -friendly work environment
    -ability to work with senior management & ownership closely
    -ability to provide creativity & new ideas to the business plan
    -Sprig maintains a unique family culture which allows employees to promote personal philanthropic efforts, participate in different groups within Sprig, and maintain a work/life balance should their family be faced with any hard times or even good times! (i.e. illness, births, marriages, etc.)
    -Many corporate events which promote comradery (everyone loves our events!)

Cons

-Compensation for certain roles, but that is on the up and up. Sprig is always generous to those who work hard, especially when hard work is proven with results!

Advice to Management

Continue to support initiatives behind the foundation we are building to successfully continue our growth. The foundation we set will help us maintain our growth and business practices as well. Marketing, PR, and communications are a few of the initiatives that we have seriously invested in. I am excited to see all the great things Sprig has in store for me, our people, and the industry!

9. "Be a part of the solution, not the problem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Sprig Electric (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sprig has accomplished so many great things over the course of 45+ years. If you have a family or planning a family and are settled in your career, it is a good place to work. If you are a project manager, it is also a great place for you because those roles are treated with the most respect and provided with better compensation than most positions within the company (not necessarily in the industry market).

Cons

A lot of growth over the last 2-3 years has created many changes in the organizational dynamics which were intended to keep Sprig progressive but, it has done quite the opposite. There seems to be a disconnect between leaders in different groups when it comes to roles and responsibilities and just general day to day tasks (who is performing them, how it gets done, etc.). There is also far too many people involved in decision-making for small picture items and not enough involvement with big picture items (such as clear and concise messages, company goals, office morale, ROI reports, etc.).

Most of us just want to be successful for Sprig and grow in our careers. Some are just here to collect a paycheck. For those who want to be successful and grow, it becomes difficult to do so when you feel a lack of trust/support from your supervisors and/or senior management in general. Also, when too many people are involved (as stated above), it creates confusion and your work results in many inconsistencies depending on who is reviewing it.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key as well as follow through. Let people grow and flourish.

Really develop a strong, unison message that does not change year to year. When it is delivered, deliver it strongly, not jokingly or in a fun way. Employees trust strength. Sometimes the "fun" part is used in hopes to keep the family culture, but only weakness shines through. We are all here to service Sprig, but it becomes difficult to do so effectively when we are unsure what our goals are at Sprig.

In regards to following through, it is important to finish what you start. This relates back to consistency. Many times have employees been told that management would be doing "something" and then employees never see any movement from those "somethings". Sometimes what was started shouldn't have begun at all. Some key examples: stickers for our vehicles to identify Sprig vehicles in the parking lot, best places to work responses, get together functions outside of work (poker night, movie night, etc.), etc. etc.

Lastly, in order to let people grow and flourish, senior management truly needs to commit to the changes they agreed upon and provide employees with a better grading system to move up in the company (should it apply to them). Growth is only measured based on each manager's style instead of based on measurable data from a real grading scale. Self-evaluations should no longer be offered at a company of this size. Even if you grade yourself as an A+ student here, there is no guarantee you will move up from your current position.

10. "Field management very cliqueish and not very good at running work and holding on to good journeyman."

Former Employee - Journeyman Inside Wireman
    Former Employee - Journeyman Inside Wireman

I worked at Sprig Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do take care of their employees by having events and parties for emplomees and their family's.

Cons

Their field supperintents as well as their general formen permote unskilled and fake attitude buddies of theirs to run crews on their jobs. They will lie and tell you that you are a great worker and you are doing a great job. Then lay you off for no reason or explanation just because you do not fit in with their buddies. Who have less knowledge and experience in trade skills dictate who is kept imployed and who is let go. It is largely based on if you fit in their clique not how good of a worker you are.

Advice to Management

I think you need to really look at your field management who are running work in San Mateo County and trim off the waste that is going to cost the company it's rapidly declining reputation for being a large company that doesn't treat it's employees like one.