Spring Independent School District Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Rodney E. Watson

Cons

"Hope to find a new district soon"

Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spring Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Salary above 50k
    -Benefits
    -Time off around holidays and summers

Cons

-Poor organization that does not communicate expectations clearly
    -District does not support campuses
    -Poor professional development compared to other districts for newer teachers
    -Discipline is not handled well by the district and though my principal has tried several avenues and solutions to combat this, they are still met with resistance from administration when it comes to implementing these solutions.

Advice to Management

Support your campuses' initiatives for discipline management. That would at least be a start.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice coworkers
    Salary is good but expect to work for EVERY CENT of it

Cons

-District micromanages school budget, leading to teachers not having the basics we need to teach
    -Woeful lack of technology at the campus level
    -Lack of support in regards to campus discipline
    -Ridiculous middle school hours-- school ends at 4:30 and mandatory tutorials aren't over until 6pm

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging schools, give teachers the tools to be successful, stop constant criticism of teachers without any kind of help

3. "A terrible place run by liars at best; incompetence at worst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

I worked at Spring Independent School District (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here teaches you that you a number of valuable lessons including don't trust a word the administration says. It's a job.

Cons

The management here has no real direction, no real plan. They also believe they can make no mistakes. If you have kids in this district, get out FAST!

Advice to Management

Pick a positive action plan and then implement it. Stop placing students above the teachers and staff. Every single teacher working in Spring ISD, and everywhere else for that matter, graduated from a four-year college or university; they are not dumb.

"Worst job ever!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Spring Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you leave in the district it is close to home. They pay more than most surrounding districts..

Cons

They are unorganized. No chance for promotion because of nepotism. The schools don't support teachers. The kids are not disciplined.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified executives

"Spring ISD is hurting your children's education!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Spring, TX

Pros

Great set of teachers to work with!

Cons

the so called 2015 goals. the district will never make it

Advice to Management

quit!

7. "Elementary School Teacher"

Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher
    Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher

I have been working at Spring Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Decent Benefits

Cons

Because it is being audited by TEA the district micromanages everything the teachers do. Also I spend an average of 3 planning periods per week in meetings and 2 to 4 afternoons per week (after school) in required meetings and workshops. We are also required to spend many hours every month running and analyzing and reflecting on data reports about our students and creating and documenting detailed "interventions" for our at risk students.

Advice to Management

No meetings during teacher's planning periods. Limit after school meetings for teachers to one per week. Reduce our paperwork and data input so that we can focus on teaching, grading, and lesson plans.

""Rome has fallen...""

Current Employee - Teacher/Coach
    Current Employee - Teacher/Coach

I have been working at Spring Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Great team members to work with (of they remain with the district)

* Children truly want to learn when they believe/trust YOU

Cons

* ZERO support for staff (new and veteran members )

* Bully-tactics used to "threaten and scare" staff into mgmt ideology of 'compliance'

* No compassion (don't get sick or have an unforseen and unavoidable event happen to you...you may end up UNEMPLOYED)

* Passive, bubble-thinking mgmt who only communicate within their own circle, yet expect the "team" to read their minds of strategy

Advice to Management

No way am I sexest, but at this districts current state (particularly at the high schools), there is absolutely NO WAY discipline and structure can work or be implemented when the ALL FEMALE leadership team carry on daily like mean girls in an elementary school. Nothing about the leadership at my campus has been leader-like since the arrival of this new regime.

Advice? How about hiring more quality father-figure-like leadership at the high schools and less 6-fig salary members at the top...stop beating up your TEACHERS....what superintendent tells his staff "I would NEVER send my children to thus district"....

How about picking and STICKING to a simple plan of action and admitting when you've made a mistake? Why does there need to be a 7 to 10 step process of consequences for a student who breaks a rule, yet you fire a staff member on site for defending them self or for having an opinion?

9. "Avoid it"

I have been working at Spring Independent School District full-time

Pros

Not really any at all

Cons

This place has turned into a hell hole. Idiotic people running the place thinking they are doing good things, when in reality they are making your job harder.

Advice to Management

go