Spring Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Ellis

Pros
  • The company is growing and thriving (in 13 reviews)

• Good compensation good benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission structure, work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• If you're a low tier store be prepared to make just over minimum wage (in 62 reviews)

1. "Great job"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Omaha, NE

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Builds very strong sales foundation. Skills spring gives you will follow you everywhere.

Cons

Numbers based gig. Don't hit numbers you're gonna have a bad time

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do spring

"Nope"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great employees.....I have to fit 20 words in to post this so.. uh, they give you pizza on iPhone launch?

Cons

Minimal pay
    Work/life balance
    Stress
    Constant meetings
    Poor leadership
    Sketchy practices
    Understaffed (severely)
    Managers are not able to actually manage
    Unfair goals

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. I came from a Cellular World acquisition. I LOVED my job. I was a top seller and worked up to management. As soon as Spring took over, it was hell. Our pay diminished significantly, as did work-life balance. We had countless meetings. So. Many. Meetings. Training was demanding. Managers are expected to outsell everyone else, but the pay difference is so minimal considering you're supposed to somehow accomplish that while ya know.. managing and constantly having to focus on other things. I was making $850 every two weeks (salary with no overtime unless I hit 60 hours) and my bonuses were always maxed, and always pathetic. Goals were built to pay those in t1/t2 stores. Anyone else was not getting anything. I brought my new t5 historically awful store to #1 in the company at one point, received several awards, and got plenty of praise. That doesn't help when you're working 50 hours a week with only one other employee and you're paycheck to paycheck.

It doesn't help that they also illegally force "solo Sundays" (in both states I worked) where slow stores are required to only schedule one person on a Sunday, and that person is not allowed to shut down the store for a break. It's disgusting how people are treated and how little they value people. I would have loved to stay in the industry, but the stress on myself and everyone around me was too much. Since leaving 3 months ago, my first district has lost 10 people I can think of off the top of my head (several of which were 2+ year employees), and my second has lost about the same. No exaggeration.

I'm sure this will get discredited, but this wasn't an issue of me having a bad attitude. I am so passionate about technology and customer service, but if you're going to provide those things you need to take care of the people on the front line. It's all smoke and mirrors with this company, and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone. PS: most of your top dogs are essentially scam artists who are taking advantage of people and lying to customers to hit goals. Rose colored glasses can't fix that fact.

"Employees are tired."

Current Employee - Entertainment Consultant in Jackson, CA
    Current Employee - Entertainment Consultant in Jackson, CA

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Opportunity to improve income
    Opportunity to move around
    Full time hours
    No experience necessary
    On site learning
    Emphasis on employee development

Cons

High stress
    Bad management
    Low job security
    Random hours
    Few breaks
    Lots of busy work
    The blame always falls on sales reps

Advice to Management

Create more positivity. Employees are primarily influenced by negative reviews and pay cuts. The motivation given to work harder is that our jobs are not secure.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clothing credit, uncapped commission and great culture. Amazing training! Huge pay checks! Great opportunity! Long term career! This is a great place to work if you are interested in any career path! Have a little sales in your background and you will be fine!

Cons

Glass door is requiring me add something here. The only down side is the hours. I suggest you really love what you do because you will spend a lot of time at work, it's not a part time job! The pay off is amazing when you get done with your shift and you feel like you have actually made a difference in some persons life!

Advice to Management

Make sure every role is participating in new initiatives, especially on the business side.

May 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for the feedback. Very happy to hear that things are going well! We are really excited about our business to business team and appreciate all of your hard work! Best, MJ

5. "Family atmosphere with the best culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is contagious and you are part of a huge family!

Cons

It's retail! All retails has ups and downs but because of Spring and all the incentives most are positive!

Thanks for the feedback! MJ

"It's a ok place to work but as the industry changes from wireless to more entertainment they made it harder to make $$"

Former Employee - Tier III Store Manager in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Tier III Store Manager in Olympia, WA

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Set your own hours.
    Great Benefits
    Easy to get promoted to manager levels
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Constant pressure from upper management
    Hard to get past the manager level
    Pay is not enough for what you are expected to do.
    6-7 calls per week
    Poor communication and lack of accountability from upper management .

Advice to Management

Set a better example for your employees. Don't tell us to do something you won't or can't do. Don't over complicate things .

May 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with some of what you said, but don't agree that it is necessarily easy to get promoted, you must have been doing the right things to get there! I would also ... More

"Scarily Bad"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You get to watch DirecTV if there's no customers in the store

Cons

- There's been too many robberies at my store, which is saying a lot because I live in a low crime neighborhood.

- This company refuses to give you holiday pay.

- They perpetually under-staff the stores to save money, the company is all about them, they don't care about you the employee, despite whatever the heck their mission statement is.

- Managers pass up on employees simply because they don't want to work around their school schedule (they want their schedules to be awesome, and everybody else's to be crap.) So you end up with employees that don't strive for excellence and have the work ethic of a cardboard box.

- The company overhauls their commission plan every single month, however, it magically never gets better.

- Speaking of commission, there's always a "catch." - they said I was eligible for a $250 bonus for finishing top 3 in my district, but OH! Guess what? I didn't hit the absurdly high minimum gross profit requirements for it (I work at a slow store, I fell just short.)

- Aggressively unrealistic sales tiers, the company says: "THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU CAN MAKE! WE ARE SUCH A GREAT COMPANY! ". Like seriously? They might as well say: "If you sell 100 DTV's a day, you too can be the CEO of Spring Mobile!" Like...wow, you don't say?

- You have to deal with entitled customers who come in and act like you're making a lot of money with AT&T. They have no idea. They'll say things like: "Make me a good deal or I'm leaving the store." And you're sitting there in your mind like: "I make as much money as a grocery store cashier, and just like them I really don't care if you buy or not."

- Don't cut my commission income by $1,500 a month and expect me to take your company seriously. I have self-respect.

Advice to Management

Stop understaffing your stores. This is a scenario that happens every other day at most locations in my district, including mine:

I'm the only representative working and a customer comes in with the dreaded: "I want to port in 5 lines from Verizon, trade in my phones, and transfer all the information from one set of phones to another, and buy accessories, get some ipads and I want you to put my case & screen protectors on for me because I'm terrrrriible at it, and also I have a million questions that I'm going to ask you every other minute about random things pertaining to phones." - and this would be cool, but we're talking Spring Mobile, they baaarely pay you for this. And it's even crazier, because the customers assume you're making A LOT off those transactions. You're not.

Meanwhile, a wave of 4 customers come in at the same time with technical/billing issues, and upgrade phone requests. It's like playing the game Diner Dash except literally in 10x slow motion.

I can't being to describe to you the frustration of having to run and close a store all by yourself while making minimum wage and a laughable commission. I used to feel bad for people who worked jobs like this, but I fell into a deep depression and ended up here. One day I woke up like, "Why am I running in this hamster wheel?" and I've emerged from my depression, and I've already put in my two weeks.

Goodbye Spring Mobile, I didn't apply to work for you, I signed up with a different company. You acquired my store, cut my annual pay by 60%, and I've concluded that you're the worst.

"Terrible company run by terrible management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on cell phone service and phone accessories. Coworkers are good people with a "we'll get through this terrible job together" mentality.

Cons

The commission structure has changed dramatically over the past 6 months, and not got the better. Over the past few months the commission structure has changed every few weeks to "reflect business trends," when in reality it means you'll make less commission. I have seen people lose out on a lot of commission even though they will make the company tons of money. Large transactions that one would think pay out a considerable amount end up being pennies on the dollar.

Upper management does not uphold the "protect the family" motto of the company. Everyone in the district that I was in are working 10-12 hour days, by themselves which risks getting robbed, no lunch breaks, often 6 days a week. This type of strain puts a damper on morale and don't encourage anyone to sell. My store went without a manager for 3 months. Every day in the GroupMe messages people would try to reach out to other stores to find coverage.

They want to run the stores as thin as possible but this makes less time for a good customer experience, increased wait time, and customers eventually just walk out if the see a line of 5 people and only one representative. It's not premier service all.

There is a huge amount of redundancy. Reps are required to fill out Google docs that often are the same information. We were required to report sales numbers that we took from reports form the recording department...

The micromanaging towards the end ended up being insane. Some managers were reduced to glorified sales reps because upper management wanted to control as much as possible. We would get calls if we sat down for too long, even though no one was in the store and all of our daily tasks were completed.

Advice to Management

Simplify the commission structure, let your store managers actually manage their employees, staff the stores fully, and pay your workers a decent wage.

"Horrible Pay"

Current Employee - Entertainment Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Entertainment Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great IT department . That's pretty much it !

Cons

The goals this company has made for its employees is a joke, to the point where you just make minimum wage . As a California Resident it's imposible to live off this income. Many employees have left this company and joined competitive companies. This company bought out a retailer and made the employees believe it was a great company to work for. LIES!!!!

Advice to Management

Company micro manages even on schedules and movements .

"I've been a store manager for 5 years and I'm miserable. Company used to be great, but not anymore. Look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay (sometimes). Hours are somewhat flexible. I am really at loss for pros but Glassdoor requires 20 words. You get a solid discount on your AT&T bill.

Cons

Virtually everything. Very high pressure for such low level sales job. Even when you're not at work you are still at work. Group me messages and constant calls from reps.

Advice to Management

This section is irrelevant as they wouldn't listen to it.