Springfield Public Schools - MA Reviews | Glassdoor

Springfield Public Schools - MA Superitendent Daniel J. Warwick
Daniel J. Warwick
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Middle School Special Education Teacher in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Middle School Special Education Teacher in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The knowledge a student learns is really the take away from being a teacher!

Cons

Shaping the next generation is tougher than it seems.

Advice to Management

Managing a class of about 130 students can seem difficult at first, but when you get into the swing, it is doable.

2. "Stay away"

I worked at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Set you up to fail, not teacher friendly

3. "Math Fellow"

Pros

The position is rewarding and a good stepping stone.

Cons

The pay is very discouraging.

"SPS"

I worked at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Health Insurance is decent.

Cons

This District is plagued with problems that they can't be listed, the lack of communication from anyone is number one. Nepotism, incompetent people, difficultly advancing to a better position unless you know someone are some of the others. The culture is focused on making upper management (i.e. Superintendent, Supervisors, and Principals) wealthier. This school district and city has had issues in the past with misusing finances and poor decision making in the past. Therefore both the School Department and City were in a Receivership, I believe this needs to happen again. The students in Springfield are not receiving a proper education due to the complete incompetence of the Superintendent, School Committee and his bloated Central Office Staff. My heart goes out to the dedicated teachers and related staff who put themselves last to ensure the students get some sort of learning experience

Advice to Management

My advise to the Federal Government would be to put SPS into a Receivership.

5. "STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Springfield Public Schools - MA (More than a year)

Pros

They offer mental health counseling, you will need it. I have been in several districts on a part time basis and never experienced anything like this.

Cons

Just stay away, unless you want to try and teach where students attack, spit on, verbally harass and throw things at you while admins hide in the office.

Advice to Management

Haave policies, procedures and expectations that are enforced. I stongly do not believe that a professional educator should wear sweat pants and a hoodie to work, but if you have the right friends it is ok.

6. "Special Needs Instructor Mathematics"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Springfield, MA

I worked at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time

Pros

Great Professional Development done by the school district. There are many options available for teachers to enhance their careers within the Springfield Public School system.

Cons

There are to many checks and balances to teaching in the Springfield Public School System. Between SEEDS, ESOL requirements, grading papers and writing extensive lesson plans there is little time for teachers to have much free time after school.

Advice to Management

Dan Warwick, the Superintendent of Schools and Lydia Martinez, the Assistant Superintendent of schools, Springfield Public School system has tremendous leadership. There needs to be more time spent on teaching and less time spent on followups so as to maximize student achievement.

7. "teacher in early childhood"

Current Employee - Teacher in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time

Pros

abundance of resources , technology, pds, self development
    in most cases well knit units, professional colleagues and cooperative attitude
    opportunity to teach children with and from varied backgrounds

Cons

overpopulated, low teacher student ratio, high turnover of both students and teachers and admin
    paraprofessionals ill trained and often unprofessional, short in supply
    emphasis more on using programs procured by District without adequate survey or inquiry than on solid pedagogy
    too much documentation, assessments, analysis taking time away from core instruction

Advice to Management

Stay true to the scholars. Worry less about methodologies, and more about making progress/

8. "Not sure how to fix it..."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

A few great teachers and great admin. Most schools are very understanding of diverse cultural needs.

Cons

A lot of not-so-great teachers and not-so-great admin. Understaffed, so the not-so-great performance is no doubt related.

Advice to Management

Do all you can to get more people working in the schools. Elementary classrooms up to grade 2 ALL need paraprofessionals along with teachers. This can make a HUGE difference in performance of students.

9. "Special Education Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with great people who really cared about the students. I learned a lot from my coworkers and saw what it was like to work in a positive environment where the people really care about the students.

Cons

There weren't always enough resources or support for many of the students. I worked in a classroom that was short staffed and although we tried our best to accommodate for the students sometimes it just wasn't possible.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration the special needs students in your schools. They are the ones that need the most support and are oftentimes denied it.

10. "Go somewhere else"

I have been working at Springfield Public Schools - MA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The kids are great and the work can be very rewarding.

Cons

The administration cares more about improving data than educating students.