Springleaf Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Springleaf Finance President & CEO Jay Levine
Jay Levine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits but you work like a dog (in 12 reviews)

• stable employment good benefits good training (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • I believe upper management decided to hold off on updating technology until the acquisition was complete (in 25 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement, seems like the company is going under (in 9 reviews)

"Glad I'm gone"

Pros

There were no good reasons to be there

Cons

Everything was a con- don't work here

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they are human

"Branch Account Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Medford, OR

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can say about pros cause there are none .

Cons

If you want to work 24/7 without being on salary and no overtime, no breaks. No lunches and it still is not enough, thats the company for you!

Advice to Management

Treat your team with respect and quit micro managing . Let your staff know that they are worth every day they put in.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - PLS
    Former Employee - PLS

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not one thing I can even think of.. The pay sucks the hours suck everything about this place is bad

Cons

They promised me salary and it was really hourly.. They say one late night a week and one sat a month ya right!! If you want to enjoy a home life work life balance stay away.. My DM pulled me in the office the other day to basically put me down and make me feel stupid.. I was promised to go into management but that was also a lie they basically lied to me to get me to take the job and once I started it was all the opposite.. I gave my notice last week and it was the best thing I ever did

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat people.. People want to succeed and work their hardest when they are treated correctly and not lied too.

"So-So, super low pay"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Evansville, IN

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Building
    People are friendly

Cons

Management is terrible
    Pay is super low
    To much stress

"Good employer, gone horribly bad!!! With poor leadership."

Pros

If you don't want to be at home ever, this is the place for you.

Cons

This company was a great place to work 5+ years ago. The company has went down hill greatly. They love to charge high rates, and make the customer feel like they are getting a deal. The company is the definition of bad corporate america. They care about the bottom dollar, and could care less about the individuals that are in the branches. The hours and years you put in, mean nothing. Many long term individuals have been let go recently. I would stay away from this company, borrowing from, or working for. It is a horrible place to work!!!

Advice to Management

Try listening to the staff, just because someone has a title above them does not mean they are honest. There are reasons things happen within the branches and within the community, listen to the long term employees, they could help plug the hole in this sinking ship.

6. "Not For me"

Current Employee - Personal Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Personal Loan Specialist

I have been working at Springleaf Finance (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay with little to no experience required. It's a place to get your foot in the door in the financial industry, but not much more than that.

Cons

The financial well-being is not a concern of the company. Constantly wanting to refinance auto loans from around 5% to 20% just to get the customer a couple thousand out. Customers are seen simply as numbers. Expect to work weekends and late nights even though they do not tell you so in the interview process. No where to move up in the company, definitely not a career.

7. "Financial Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Springleaf Finance (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Adequate Vacation and Sick Leave

Cons

Financial Status, Field Collection requirements, Bonus Requirements

"Run, run as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Temecula, CA

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Decent hours. 3 weeks of vacation time. Insurance sales training and licensing. Decent sales training if you are new the industry.

Cons

The word I would use to describe the work environment would be sweatshop. Sales quotas mean nothing as management is never satisfied. Even if you meet and exceed your sales goals! The job itself isn't the problem. It is the company culture expecting robots and not people. I worked here for 3 months and ran as fast as I could.

"Branch Manager"

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great possibilites to move up in the company, and opportunities to make as much commission as you want and great bonus program.

Cons

Extreme pressure to do this, and that, and work late, work saturdays, do what ever you have to do to get the numbers they want and dont care if you have a family at home waiting on you. Everyone is their to cover their own butt and not back anyone else up. Selfish company

"They cut all of the hours in the branch... say no to this job."

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

the bonus money is great, if you can get it. The bonus money decreases with every goal that you do not get, as well as the goal increases every quarter. When you GENUINELY help someone, even though that is few and far between. They buy you breakfast every Thursday, so that's cool.

Cons

THEY CUT THE HOURS FROM 40 TO 37... IN AN EMAIL TO THE BRANCHES. This only effects the loan specialists, everyone else is salary. My manager made it abundantly clear that it doesn't really matter, its great for them because they get to come in later and they're still salary so we'll figure it out. The loan do not help most customers, they are "sold" to customers who are already into debt a ridiculous amount. Another way we "sell" loans is by "refi and cash out" aka giving more money to people who are behind to catch their current account up, boost our sales, and then restart their interest. The customers have NO idea what pre computed means, even after its explained, they don't realize that their initial payments mostly go to interest, so paying it off in half the time doesn't save them as much as they would think. The insurance products we sell are a SCAM. Someone who does not have a car on their loan and is the only person on the loan, does not need 2k in credit life insurance on a 5k loan. This is ridiculous. They are financing credit insurance products that sometimes double the amount of their loan... thats just dumb. On to the managers, they do whatever they feel they want to do. My manager personally has her spouse call several times a day, to the point i have their phone number memorized. My manager would have their phone out the entire day, but forbid us from even checking our phone throughout the day. My manager was constantly texting or on the phone with friends, other managers, spouse, etc. UNLESS someone like our DM, ADO or anyone from corporate was there. Also, the micromanaging is intolerable. I still do not know how to do somethings in CLASS due to my manager just doing it for me, yet getting angry when I do not know how to do it. Favoritism is shown the entire time, to a point someone left our office with that being the reason. I can't really complain about this I was one of the "favorites" so I exceeded my goals each and every month. You have to work Saturdays, but to ensure you do not get over 37 hours, you will have to "comp out time" and come in late just so that they do not have to pay you overtime. This is just an overall avoid if you can at all. If you cannot avoid, you will wear many hats. Some of those include: Lendor, Insurance agent, Debt Collector, Counselor, Bounty Hunter (you will work up repos), make all of your files, Cold Call, etc. Just be prepared for your day to be hectic and you will not get everything done. This means that you will be in trouble some days. Just be prepared.

Advice to Management

Check on your branch managers, surprise visit and see what's actually going on. This is getting ridiculous. Also, cutting your team member's hours in an email at 1 PM and then thinking that everyone is going to continue as normal, not the best idea.