Springleaf Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Springleaf Finance President & CEO Jay Levine
Jay Levine

Cons

1. "So-So, super low pay"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Evansville, IN

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Building
    People are friendly

Cons

Management is terrible
    Pay is super low
    To much stress

2. "Financial Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Springleaf Finance (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Adequate Vacation and Sick Leave

Cons

Financial Status, Field Collection requirements, Bonus Requirements

"Run, run as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Temecula, CA

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Decent hours. 3 weeks of vacation time. Insurance sales training and licensing. Decent sales training if you are new the industry.

Cons

The word I would use to describe the work environment would be sweatshop. Sales quotas mean nothing as management is never satisfied. Even if you meet and exceed your sales goals! The job itself isn't the problem. It is the company culture expecting robots and not people. I worked here for 3 months and ran as fast as I could.

"They cut all of the hours in the branch... say no to this job."

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

the bonus money is great, if you can get it. The bonus money decreases with every goal that you do not get, as well as the goal increases every quarter. When you GENUINELY help someone, even though that is few and far between. They buy you breakfast every Thursday, so that's cool.

Cons

THEY CUT THE HOURS FROM 40 TO 37... IN AN EMAIL TO THE BRANCHES. This only effects the loan specialists, everyone else is salary. My manager made it abundantly clear that it doesn't really matter, its great for them because they get to come in later and they're still salary so we'll figure it out. The loan do not help most customers, they are "sold" to customers who are already into debt a ridiculous amount. Another way we "sell" loans is by "refi and cash out" aka giving more money to people who are behind to catch their current account up, boost our sales, and then restart their interest. The customers have NO idea what pre computed means, even after its explained, they don't realize that their initial payments mostly go to interest, so paying it off in half the time doesn't save them as much as they would think. The insurance products we sell are a SCAM. Someone who does not have a car on their loan and is the only person on the loan, does not need 2k in credit life insurance on a 5k loan. This is ridiculous. They are financing credit insurance products that sometimes double the amount of their loan... thats just dumb. On to the managers, they do whatever they feel they want to do. My manager personally has her spouse call several times a day, to the point i have their phone number memorized. My manager would have their phone out the entire day, but forbid us from even checking our phone throughout the day. My manager was constantly texting or on the phone with friends, other managers, spouse, etc. UNLESS someone like our DM, ADO or anyone from corporate was there. Also, the micromanaging is intolerable. I still do not know how to do somethings in CLASS due to my manager just doing it for me, yet getting angry when I do not know how to do it. Favoritism is shown the entire time, to a point someone left our office with that being the reason. I can't really complain about this I was one of the "favorites" so I exceeded my goals each and every month. You have to work Saturdays, but to ensure you do not get over 37 hours, you will have to "comp out time" and come in late just so that they do not have to pay you overtime. This is just an overall avoid if you can at all. If you cannot avoid, you will wear many hats. Some of those include: Lendor, Insurance agent, Debt Collector, Counselor, Bounty Hunter (you will work up repos), make all of your files, Cold Call, etc. Just be prepared for your day to be hectic and you will not get everything done. This means that you will be in trouble some days. Just be prepared.

Advice to Management

Check on your branch managers, surprise visit and see what's actually going on. This is getting ridiculous. Also, cutting your team member's hours in an email at 1 PM and then thinking that everyone is going to continue as normal, not the best idea.

"OneMain transplant"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small office is nice. Good people I work with.

Cons

Pay is low. You cannot obtain a raise unless you become a manager. Everything is changing, and fast. Predatory lending at it's finest. Management uses "bullying tactics" to obtain their goals from their employees. Extremely high monthly goals that are unattainable. Micromanaged. Benefits expensive. Also, to all OneMain employees, beware, as of 2017, your days off will follow suit with SpringLeaf's. We will be losing a week of vacation time.

Advice to Management

Use more leadership skills to lead us instead of demands and bullying tactics. You get more bees with honey. Lower the monthly goals to something attainable. Give us the same credit for Auto secured loans as you do Auto Direct.

"Intern Loan Specialist"

Former Employee - Intern in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Marietta, GA

Pros

The only pro I got from working at this company is the experience and support experience I obtained.

Cons

This company brought me nothing but headache. I worked at a branch located off of Barrett Parkway and all that they did was micro-manage and provide the most useless forms of work.
    My manager at one point knocked on a full-time employees bathroom door wondering where she was. I also saw this manager heckle and put down all of the employees and always being disappointed in performance when there was nothing other employees could have done.
    Just recently I put in my two weeks because I received a better job. I respectfully put in my two weeks and they terminated me two weeks later and never followed up with me so I could get my things or to just say exactly what happened. It was a very immature work environment and I am supposed to be the immature one!

Advice to Management

Chill out and treat your employees like humans with real lives. It is embarrassing how you treat employees.

"Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location and one hour lunches. There are a few awesome people that I had the pleasure of meeting. Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Too many to name. Dishonest sales practices. Uneducated management. Unprofessional behavior runs rampant. Layoffs of 200+ people. Company has been bought and sold too many times. Making for an unstable work place.

Advice to Management

Honesty honesty honesty and integrity.

9. "Management issues"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Springleaf Finance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Can learn some about personal finance if you are new to the industry, Jobs are easy to come by, hours were flexible as an intern (full time workers put in a ton of hours).

Cons

Incredibly rude management, training is nonexistent, goals that are barely achievable even for senior staff, micromanagement to the tenth power, only job I've ever worked at where everyone there hated their job openly.

Advice to Management

Skipping training on new employees isn't saving the company money, it costs more in the long run. Don't let managers treat employees like trash. Phone system needs to be updated.

"Loan Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Springleaf Finance (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Too numerous to name them all.

"compliance analyst"

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time

Pros

lots of vacation days right out the gate

Cons

managers will walk all over you,

Advice to Management

learn to treat your employees