Springs Charter School Reviews | Glassdoor

"I Love Springs"

Current Employee - Administration in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive, flexible work environment that allows me to be the best I can be both at work and at home.

Cons

There is a busy season... I'm pretty sure it's all the time :P

2. "This Charter School is Doing Everything Right!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Springs Charter Schools cares deeply about their students and staff. I have never experienced a place of employment that goes above and beyond to care for its staff and make the academic achievement of students its a top priority. Springs offers so much more than many other schools including an annual conference created specifically for all of its staff with keynote speakers. Annual and regular development is also continually planned for parents to ensure parents are educated in best practices for their children. Springs Charter Schools is an example for all charters on how to do charter schools right and an amazing place to work!

Cons

Hmmm, a negative is required. There are so many positives it is hard to think about the negatives. We have grown quite a bit and this can mean some bumps but we have also spent an enormous amount of time solidifying our charters to make sure we are in compliance with every little detail that is required.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Vision without a plan"

Former Employee - LC Teacher
    Former Employee - LC Teacher

I worked at Springs Charter School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had two hats at the school, worked at two different sites and some online work as a teacher. Creative freedom, get experience, good colleagues, community feel. Competitive part time pay. Fun courses. LC teachers receive stipend to supplement supplies.

Cons

Needs students in rooms for budget, will cater to students and parents wishes at the expense of having a quality education. Diplomas here are not as meaningful as at a traditional public school. Special ed department gets way more work than is reasonable, I saw job titles get changed to accommodate workloads for legal reasons and pay wasn't increased. Because I was two hats I ended up paying more in benefits because it wasn't recognized that I should be getting full time benefits for quite awhile, I had to catch it and alert them. Higher ups regularly say that they're a "rubber meets the road" kind of institution and they plan on figuring things out "as they go" which amounts to a lot of stress, mismanagement and general lack of intelligent planning. Everyone expected to adapt to this culture of winging it. Good to have as backup, not good to have as primary strategy, especially for a school of this size. Many other teachers I spoke with felt threatened to put up with it or find another place to work. Higher ups have also referred to parents as customers and institution has been found guilty in court for nepotism and mismanagement of funds.

Advice to Management

Think ahead, give trial runs, plan the details, hold the standards high. We serve the higher purposes of educating the next generation, don't make profit/business/customers trump that.

"Getting worse each year"

Former Employee - Administrative Office in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Office in Temecula, CA

I worked at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible, great co-workers, occasional opportunities to work at home

Cons

Horrible nepotism, management does not care, lots of favoritism, intelligence and work performance not rewarded but "sucking up" to management is. Also, the absolute WORST HR department I have ever experienced with incompetent staff who all seem to be related to each other. Too many staff in certain areas and not enough in others. Management there has seemingly never worked in the business world nor run a school before. They are horrible planners.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to grow so much! You have lost what used to be a decent product - to provide students with a decent education. In your efforts to grow to be the biggest, your program no longer serves students but serves to enrich your "leaders". Also, nepotism is just plain ugly and you need to stop. Having 3 senior administrators related not only looks bad, but it's just plain wrong. Improve your horrible HR department! Hire staff who are actually trained in HR and are competent in the field -- and staff who want to serve and stand up for employees. Currently, at least half of the department is related to each other!

"A High School Diploma Mill"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of job and schedule

Cons

PAY, management, benefits, workload, resources, SERIOUS nepotism

Advice to Management

It's truly admirable how you have successfully created a darn near perfect diploma mill by turning your teachers into salesmen. Eagle's Peak Charter School (the original charter) ended due to similar issues same folks... maybe some with different names but same problems on a larger scale.

Special education at this school has become just another way of placating helicopter parents. Many have their children assessed for services to modify assignments because, as homeschool parents, they are not knowledgeable in the subject areas that they need to teach.

Homeschool and independent study teachers get paid per student. They placate parents to keep students. Some parents also need supporting documentation for social security or other benefits so soon after enrolling they start requesting services such as OT, Speech or adaptive PE but never plan to use them.

These two factors generates huge amount of paperwork for special education teachers. The special education pay is salary so we are significantly over caseload due to an influx of students very soon after school starts. Once the parents get the IEP with the services they want. They leave. That's NOT how special education should work.

The result is a mess. All the administration and school staff are concerned about are lawsuits. The parents are happy because they get their way but the students are not challenged. Students are given grades and a diploma that means very little.

I realize there are some who can excel because they have drive but Springs can and should do much better. Pay your general education teachers so they can do their job without fear of losing students. It's a disservice to the kids.

6. "Education Specialist"

Former Employee - Education Specialist in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Education Specialist in Temecula, CA

I worked at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked the staff

Cons

Admin forced us to push new programs on parents that were never 100% ready or were of no real use. They never follow through with real, quality, useful tools. AWFUL pay! If they didn't give you enough students, they would also charge you the health insurance premium so you would walk away with almost nothing. If you want but don't have a full roster "It's your fault for not being a good salesperson." I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

You've lost sight of what the ES job really entails. Everyone who makes policy for the ESs should have a mandatory 5 student roster.

"Parent"

I worked at Springs Charter School full-time

Pros

Completely satisfied with my Educational Specialist. Would homeschool again in a heartbeat.

Cons

Sometimes lacking in curriculum flexibility.

"Probably a Great Idea when is was smaller."

I have been working at Springs Charter School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment in terms of teleconference and work at home days.
    My pay was competitive, not true for most others.

Cons

Caseloads were downright insane.
    Lack of support and experience for site folks on the educational leadership side of the houses. Too many inexperienced administrators trying to hold down the fort with too little support or bad advice. Morale is low and turnover is high as a result.

Advice to Management

Special education is being used as a cure all.
    Beef up your educational / instructional experience/leadership/support.
    Make staffing sane.

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Personalized learning for students, flexible hours, great benefits. A place you can make a difference.

Cons

Many people don't understand we are a public school.

Advice to Management

Dream Big, Dive Deep!

"SO DONE WITH THIS PLACE"

I worked at Springs Charter School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great educational program. Many great teachers. Students want to be there and learn.

Cons

Many upper staff, Principals, Vice Principals etc. Use "At Will" employee very cruelly. Use to fire employees for stupid reasons, just so they can bring in their families and friends. I was there for over 10 years with a clean record and very well liked by parents, students and teaching staff. They do not take care of their employees unless they are in upper management or a family member. Nepitism is very real here

Advice to Management

Clean house, do drug and alcohol tests on staff. Stop the nepitism, CARE FOR THE LITTLE GUY AND WORK YOUR WAY UP