Sprouts Farmers Market Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sprouts Farmers Market Chief Executive Officer Amin Maredia
Amin Maredia

Pros
  • 15% employee discount off any purchases (in 107 reviews)

• 15% discount for whole store (on special days like around holidays there will be a day when there is a 25% discount) (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • They will start you at a low pay if they can (in 53 reviews)

• While supervisors tend to be more friendly, store managers are more passive-aggressive (in 46 reviews)

1. "Nice environment but no money in it."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always parking available, alot of places to eat for lunch as well. And you get a 15 percent off employee discount and an extra 15 percent off card for whom ever you share your fridge with.

Cons

No over time ever! They hired a lot of people for the new store and its not even 6 months later and every ones time is getting cut in half. How am I supposed to live off of 20 hr a week. Literally everyone is quitting except for me. And still no hours. Im in the great depression until i can get some hours! How messed up is that.

Advice to Management

You should only hire teens because they still live with their parents and do not need to pay rent and it is perfect because they do not want to work much so 20 hrs would be good for them.

2. "Cut boxes, not corners"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sprout's was very nice and uplifting for a newcomer... at least for a day or two.
    Got to try the produce.

Cons

Middle management did drugs and upper management had no respect for veterans.

3. "deli clerk fun but boring"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

very boring work to do

Advice to Management

pay better

5. "Discriminates against people with disabilities"

Former Employee - Cashier in Wheat Ridge, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wheat Ridge, CO

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay mostly good people to work with and good holiday pay

Cons

high turnover with management and some managers dont like people with mental illness

Advice to Management

be better to your employees and train your store management to be sensitive to all individuals

"A Lesson in Management"

Former Employee - Dairy Manager in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Dairy Manager in Orem, UT

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sprouts has this ability to lure some of the best people as employees that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life. The people and employees that make up each store bring a uniqueness to Sprouts that I've rarely seen recreated anywhere else.
    Additionally, the skills required to work at Sprouts are fairly limited, meaning that nearly anyone can apply for and successfully assimilate into a job or career in the company.
    There are a variety of positions that each have their own schedules and skill demands, once again making it easy to find a position that fits each person's individual skill preferences.

Cons

Management is definitely the biggest issue at Sprouts. While I have not had the pleasure of meeting any of the top executives of the company (all of whom could be great people), the regional and store level management positions are generally filled by people who are not qualified, but who have managed to (for lack of a better term) brown-nose their way into their positions. Store managers are fired almost as often as department managers, showing that Sprouts either doesn't know how to properly hire management positions, or they don't give their newly promoted managers the loyalty and support they deserve. After working at the company for 5 years, with 7 different store managers and dozens of different department managers, I can easily say that both are true.
    Company loyalty is among the worst I've seen in my professional career. The bottom line is all that matters to most companies, and understandably so, but the way that Sprouts deals with promotions and the pay raises that should be associated them is extremely dishonest and even illegal.
    I originally worked at Sunflower Market, which was bought by Sprouts 4 months after I was hired. When Sprouts announced the merger, I was offered a department manager position, along with which came a substantial promised pay raise. I accepted the position and began putting in 60 hour work weeks in order to help ensure that my department, and the store in general, would be prepared for grand opening. After 9 weeks of this, I still was getting paid my original low wage. I approached store management and eventually human resources, and eventually found that I had never been given the management position I was promised. Additionally, all the paperwork I had filled out with the visiting Sprouts executives had "mysteriously vanished", and they had absolutely no record of my promotion. I let it go, and chalked it up to my own professional inexperience and let bygones be bygones. However, I have seen countless hardworking, deserving employees continue to get used and abused by Sprouts management. I have seen many other employees endure the same situation I did, or even worse.

While the low level employees have made Sprouts an absolute pleasure to work for during the last 5 years, store management, regional management, and I would have to assume management at the executive level (for surely good leadership would trickle down right?), really needs to step up in terms of placing greater priority on retaining employees. The store I worked at has averaged a 78% turnover rate regarding employment during my time there, and while there are obviously employees that weren't deserving of their jobs, the vast majority of that percentage is comprised of individuals who were repeatedly taken advantage of by Sprouts management before ultimately deciding to move on.
    Sprouts management has never shown that they care about the growth, success, and well-being of their employees on a company level, despite the fact that there is the occasional coworker or manager who bucks that trend.

Advice to Management

Give promotions based on merit and achievement, instead of on friendships and charisma.
    Reward your faithful employees.
    Put your new managers in a position to succeed. (Recently one of the hardest working Sprouts employees I've ever known was forced to step down from his job as a department manager simply because he wasn't falsifying his numbers as the three previous department managers had been doing. His margins were only slightly off from the previous managers due to his diligence and hard work, but all the managers cared about was the bottom line. He never received any help or constructive feedback, instead simply receiving threats from store and regional management about the security of his job after only being promoted two weeks prior.)
    Give real raises when they're due. Too often I've seen extremely hardworking employees receive the bare minimum raise just because management said money in the store was too tight, all the while giving huge raises to lazy upper-management positions simply due to friendships.

7. "Hopefully"

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for growth and development. Good products. And it's a pretty​ exciting place to work.

Cons

I've recently been promoted and it's taking a while for them to offer me a pay raise

Advice to Management

Move quicker on promotions and raises

8. "Good Starter Job, bad management"

Former Employee - Vitamin Clerk in La Habra, CA
    Former Employee - Vitamin Clerk in La Habra, CA

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-15% discount
    -wonderful co-workers
    -flexibility with school schedule

Cons

-Lots of favoritism in the department level
    -although breaks were mandatory I had to leave the break room and help customers regularly
    -under appreciation by management
    -low-pay for certain positions

"Management doesn't care"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that their pay is decent

Cons

Constantly moving mangers to different stores. Leading their to be no communication between staff and management because they are changing ever three months

Advice to Management

Talk to employés

"Be Wary of Empty Promises"

Current Employee - Senior Produce Clerk in Owasso, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Produce Clerk in Owasso, OK

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is fast pace and time usually passes very quickly.

Cons

Low discount. Wages withheld. Management is not there to help you when you actually need a manager.

Advice to Management

Don't withhold employees pay and acknowledge and help your associates with their concerns. Also regional trainers do not like to talk to you unless you are prepared to worship them.

"Better than unemployment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, once you've been there a year, are some of the best available right now. I also have some wonderful coworkers who will likely be lifelong friends.

Cons

Equipment is poorly maintained which makes doing our work difficult. Understaffing and unreliable employees are huge problems, and employees who do show up have to pick up the slack to the point where it's literally not possible to do all the work demanded. Six of seven employees could call in, but that seventh employee better not have even a minute of overtime. Because of understaffing, employees whose attendance is horrible (calling in one or more times per week) are allowed to stay, thus dumping on reliable employees even more. Raises are nearly unheard of, and are stingy at best. Managers are worked mercilessly, and held to account for things beyond their control. Touted "pro" of working there is flexible schedule, but that is a one-way street. You will be working whenever to fill in gaps in their schedule, regardless of what your personal needs may be. I worked the same schedule with same days off for nearly a year, but new manager came in and destroyed my personal life and happiness by arbitrary schedule change with no warning or discussion in advance. I work every weekend. I don't consider that I am inflexible, but I am human, and need to plan my life. Had to cancel two tests I had scheduled at school, and a dental appointment, because of arbitrary schedule changes that seemed intended to punish me. Praise is few and far between. More often will hear about how we aren't doing anything right, or aren't doing it enough. And understaffing is seen as just an excuse, not a real problem.

Advice to Management

Consider that employees have to wait on customers in addition to producing like good little robots. Remember, the customers are the lifeblood of your company. Don't abuse the good employees you have in order to make up for the lackluster ones. Most people respond better to the carrot than the stick.

Showing 263 of 1,104 reviews