Squar Milner Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 73 reviews

3.8
Squar Milner CEO Steve Milner
Steve Milner

"This is basically a good firm, let down by one of its departments"

I worked at Squar Milner full-time

Pros

Has good learning experiences, I guess.

Cons

This is aimed at a specific group within the company. I am sure other offices and partners are probably better. Culture was very far from what I was told it would be like. Felt as if I was being bullied. Basically middle school. Management puts too much credibility on complaints from people who have their own agenda, instead of investigating and forming their own opinions. Huge turnover in employees serves as a guide...

Advice to Management

Some of the senior managers need to be re-trained in more modern work ethics.

Squar Milner2017-11-12

"Great firm to work for with pros and cons listed below."

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some good managers and some mad as with everywhere you work. Work hours are tough, but manageable during busy season.

Cons

Would like to see a much bigger increase in 401k match from 500 to several thousand. Would also like to see a much bigger increase in PTO time.

Squar Milner2017-10-24

"Don't believe the fake reviews, this place is toxic"

Former Employee - Tax

I worked at Squar Milner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Above-market compensation, paid parking, lots of free food, access to partners, small-firm feel, annual firm trip. Management has asked people to post positive reviews so don't believe all fake reviews.

Cons

Tech is slow and old. No laptops = no remote work (for associates). 401k match is only $500 a year max if you're fully vested. Bonus is tied to chargeable hours only but there is not an even distribution of work and some offices do not have enough work for you to even hope to get the bonus. People here are miserable and moral is low. Tiny budgets = eat a lot of time.

Advice to Management

Get rid of desktops, modern firms all use laptops. Purchase more Laserfiche licenses so people don't have issues accessing files. Offer better benefits (better dental, offer firm paid vision, better 401k match). If you're going to offer a bonus tied to chargeable hours, make sure everyone receives enough work to achieve this goal.

Squar Milner2017-10-20

Squar Milner Response

November 2, 2017Principal

Response from the Principal, Human Resources: We appreciate the acknowledgement of our above market compensation, paid benefits, management accessible culture, and the firm-sponsored annual trip. We have invested a lot to provide a workplace where our teammates are provided for in ...

"Mostly great, but sometimes partners hold prejudice against staff."

I have been working at Squar Milner

Pros

Experience, opportunities, work with some partners that are very technical and have a ton of experience. Great start to career whether in public or not.

Cons

Some partners are too hands off. Some partners hold prejudice against staff even without working with them. Some don't review work papers and put their signature on there. Pay gets worst and worst with more partners sharing.

Advice to Management

Don't let partners hold prejudice against staff especially without working with them.

Squar Milner2017-09-17

"Fast Paced and Challenging"

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Company allows you to be in control of your own career path. Management is understanding and supportive which starts with the tone at the top. The Company is growing at a healthy rate which provides additional opportunity. There is also a reasonable work/life balance compared to the industry.

Cons

Nothing noted at this time

Squar Milner2017-08-25

"Welcome to Squar Milner LLP"

Current Employee - Auditing Supervisor in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open door policy culture, great work life balance, too many opportunities for employees, employee recognition, fun and friendly co-workers, overall a great place to work at.

Cons

Really there are none, except for the form needs to improve their 401k plan.

Squar Milner2017-08-22
    • "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the company a little over two years and I can see how fast the company is growing and expending. The People are very friendly and professional. The annual trip after busy season is huge deal as you get to know people outside work field.

Cons

Work life balance which normal for public companies.

Advice to Management

Consider better 401K match

Squar Milner2017-08-18

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and staff. Good management that values their employees. They have a clear vision for the future.

Cons

No clear pathway to partner.

Squar Milner2017-08-09
    • "Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Audit As in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The firm is growing and rapidly expanding which creates a lot of opportunities for growth. The people are nice and everyone is willing to help. The firm culture embodies a work hard play hard attitude where you operate 100% when you're at work but when you're chilling you should be 100% chilling. Definitely a great firm to work at.

Cons

Like with any public accounting firm, work life balance is always going to be a con but when you are in the trenches with your friends it doesn't seem so bad!

Advice to Management

-Consider changing the VCA eligibility criteria -Better employee match

Squar Milner2017-08-07

"PAY"

I have been working at Squar Milner full-time

Pros

Squar Milner can definitely compete in terms of their pay offers when compared to other nearby accounting firms.

Cons

Your group becomes your family. The attachment might become a problem if you ever decide to leave.

Squar Milner2017-07-07

Squar Milner Response

November 2, 2017Principal

Response from the Principal of Human Resources: We're pleased that you have developed strong relationships with your teammates and hope they provide the support and collegiality you desire in fulfilling your professional activities.

Found 73 reviews