Square Customer Support Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2018

3.7
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
  1. "Customer Support Representative"

Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square for more than a year

Pros

- Supportive manager - Great Environment for collaboration - Unlimited PTO / good work-life balance - Swanky office with all the food your heart could desire - Mission-driven - Transparency into to decision making process and direction of company

Cons

- No 401K match (although stock equity is granted) - Newer organization, still working out the kinks with personal development and formal career advancement - SF is a very expensive market to live in, while Square's wages may be at market rate (non-engineers) - it's always better to be a leader here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the emphasis on communicating the company's plans to the entire company. Ensure that products teams consider customer feedback from product changes, big and small. Reactionary feedback shouldn't be the case since we have a huge team working on the front lines with our sellers.

Square2016-08-31

"Great company with some flaws"

Former Contractor - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square for less than a year

Pros

I am deeply grateful to have worked at Square. They took a chance on hiring me and my experience helped me to grow tremendously. I was trained by two of the best managers I’ve ever met - brilliant people who changed my perception on how a company can be run. There were negatives but the positives mostly outweighed them. I met some absolutely wonderful people whom I will never forget. Overall my experience was life-changing, though short. There were frustrations but I was happy every single day I spent at Square. Great meals, snacks, gorgeous views and comfortable work spaces. Square was my second home.

Cons

Every company is a microsociety with it’s politics and cultures; Square MUST abolish it’s use of contractors who are treated like second-class citizens to be tossed aside when no longer needed. This would solve a lot of the company’s toxic business practices and culture. Equality starts with a company’s treatment of its workforce. The CEO must take ownership of these inequalities and get involved in coming up with solutions.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for People of Color, stop the favoritism, nepotism and inequality. Stop using & abusing contractors and outsourcing work overseas/ to other states .

Square2018-06-23

"Potential to be great"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great entry level position -Benefits are incredible -Lots of training and support -Teams and leaders who genuinely care about you as a person -An established company that still works and feels like a start up -Kitchen filled with snacks (All the La Criox your heart could desire)

Cons

-Not a ton of opportunities for internal growth. The opportunities that do come have fierce competition. -Support is not a very engaging job. Hard to maintain motivation long term. -Growth happened so quickly, it felt like there was no structure to support employees who are feeling burned out. Quickly changed from a place that I felt valued at to a typical call center that was more focused on numbers than relationships.

Square2018-02-13

"Downhill"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, inclusive environment, perks like snacks and beverages. Great insurance. Location is easy to get to, company is progressive socially. If you look down on any gender, race, sexuality, etc this is not the place for you. You get to help small businesses and craft people and such earn a living or make extra bucks on their hobby. Very satisfying.

Cons

St Louis has become the center for Support but is increasingly becoming excluded from the rest of the company. Very little room for advancement and recent available promotions were not posted anywhere (we found out spots were open when being told who the new leads are). Recent shake up of the schedule, and plans to do so every six months, means this is no longer a stable work environment. If you don't mind having your schedule changed without regard of extracurricular needs (such as family, volunteer work, etc) this won't be a factor for you. An increasing number of staff are now looking for a new job. Measurements for the job seem arbitrary and little to no guidance is given on how to achieve positive change.

Square2016-12-27

"Great employer but.."

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits of this company are nothing short of fantastic. 4 months paid maternity/paternity leave, open PTO, and much much more. It's a very cutting edge company to work for. The compensation is also quite good.

Cons

While it is a lot of fun to work for Square, it sometimes feels like being in high school. Also there really isn't a lot of transparency in regards to upward mobility. Tons of possibilities are discussed but the odds of moving up are pretty slim, especially in a supporting role. The work for a supporter as to be expected is highly repetitive and can wear you down pretty quickly. Different departments in the company kind of expect support to handle the messes they create without telling us how to confidently or correctly troubleshoot some customer issues.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and realistic about other opportunities within the company.

Square2016-12-12
  6. "Great Job, Great Life"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative- French in New York, NY

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is awesome, and so are the people who work for it. I am new to Square, but already I can tell that those who work for the company (on al levels) care deeply about the mission and the product. The benefits and compensation are on another level, and the work itself is interesting. It's young, engaging, and leads to many career paths.

Cons

Being a customer support representative has its own challenges. The work can sometimes be repetitive, but it is rewarding to help clients grow their businesses. A certain level of drive is needed to do it day-in and day-out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, especially as you try to expand: the office culture is one of the best aspects of the job, and it would a shame to lose that, if the company continues to grow successfully.

Square2016-09-27
  7. "Best job I've had!"

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Encouraging, fast-paced working environment. Plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. Fantastic benefits, unlike most companies in my area. The people employed here are all super smart and driven individuals.

Cons

Transparency lacks in some instances, however I understand this is being worked on. Not a huge deal breaker in my book!

Advice to Management

Continue to be open-minded as we grow into a bigger company. Don't forget our small company values!

Square2016-08-02

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are many things to love about working at Square - the free food, drinks, unlimited PTO, etc but the best thing for me is the ability to move around the company to work in an area that interests you the most. Everyone is very open to meeting and there isn't really a sense of hierarchy within the company. As long as you "show don't tell" your opportunities here are really endless.

Cons

There aren't any real downsides for working here in my opinion. My current position is not as intellectually stimulating as I would like but I'm in the process of exploring my interests within the company so I can't complain.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! For me the horizontal feel of the company is one of the most important factors in keeping employees happy.

Square2016-05-01

"Definitely Worth It"

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

*The people are fantastic. My hiring group is now like family. *Transparent and always communicating. *Great health benefits. *Awesome stock plan. *Breakfast and lunch is provided every day. *Overall positive environment. *Overtime

Cons

*No 401K yet. *No tuition reimbursement yet. *Compensation could be better. *The job is pretty difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Our leads are doing an awesome job overall. Our office is still fairly new and they're always adapting to change easily. Keep on keeping on.

Square2016-04-13

"Thinking about being a temp worker at Square? DON'T."

Former Contractor - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square for less than a year

Pros

Free dinner was offered if you stayed until 7, there were also lots of snacks and drinks. The office space is beautiful.

Cons

Literally the worst work place culture and team dynamic I've ever experienced. The temp Supporters are housed on the opposite side of the room from the Full Time Employees (FTEs). They are expected to drop everything and switch their schedules, giving full flexibilities, to support FTE activities. Temp Supporters are not supported at all within the work place, nor is any appreciation shown towards the work that is done. Despite being a majority of the Support team in SF, temps are invisible. No acknowledgement of hard work that is done. No constructive criticism. The only time management reaches out is to tell you to stop doing something without providing an alternative solution. Square claims to be transparent but provided no information to temps. We were purposely excluded from all events in the office, even events that included no confidential information. During my months there, I felt as though there was no interest in furthering my work in the company, that management did not care about or see the work that I did.

Advice to Management

If you take the time to train someone, continue to maintain your investment! It does not make sense nor is it sustainable to train supporters then not support them in the work place.

Square2016-03-31