Square Customer Support Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2018

3.6
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

"You get out of Square what you put into it!"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Managers care about you as a person, rather than just your production -Lots of room for personal growth -Open and honest culture -Real attempts to create a merit-based system -Makes me believe in trust and teamwork -Fosters a growth mindset mentality that is applicable to virtually any scenario -Opportunities for continued education (coding classes offered, continual training, career development included during work scheduled and paid work hours) -Teammates are smart, capable, friendly, and wonderfully quirky -Healthy snacks and beverages being so readily available really helps cut corners and time while prepping for work

Cons

-I can see how there could be a perceived lack of transparency if not keeping up with emails, not being proactive in seeking opportunities, or not communicating questions or complaints to your manager -Open work environment fosters collaboration, but can be noisy sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Square2016-12-28

"Great company with some flaws"

Former Contractor - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square for less than a year

Pros

I am deeply grateful to have worked at Square. They took a chance on hiring me and my experience helped me to grow tremendously. I was trained by two of the best managers I’ve ever met - brilliant people who changed my perception on how a company can be run. There were negatives but the positives mostly outweighed them. I met some absolutely wonderful people whom I will never forget. Overall my experience was life-changing, though short. There were frustrations but I was happy every single day I spent at Square. Great meals, snacks, gorgeous views and comfortable work spaces. Square was my second home.

Cons

Every company is a microsociety with it’s politics and cultures; Square MUST abolish it’s use of contractors who are treated like second-class citizens to be tossed aside when no longer needed. This would solve a lot of the company’s toxic business practices and culture. Equality starts with a company’s treatment of its workforce. The CEO must take ownership of these inequalities and get involved in coming up with solutions.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for People of Color, stop the favoritism, nepotism and inequality. Stop using & abusing contractors and outsourcing work overseas/ to other states .

Square2018-06-23

"Square Support"

Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly, intelligent, and diligent colleagues - Free food

Cons

- No growth in support. There's very little opportunity to advance into a career outside of the support environment. typically, support is a stepping stone towards other career paths, but there's little to no room for mobility aside from being a support manager or resolution specialist (tackling escalated cases). - Difficult to support other products of Square when they don't have a customer facing team/direct transfer for incoming calls. I.e. Employee Management, Capital, Cash. Supporters are expected to have knowledge of multiple product areas so it does get difficult when there's new features/bugs in the platform/product requests/etc. since there's no clear escalation path in place - The nature of support is 24/7. You are meant to serve the customers and with that in mind, expect to work holidays. When other employees get a week in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, you're more than likely working. Though you get to work from home, it's unfortunate having to be locked up in a room taking calls while the rest of your family enjoys the holiday. - Growing pains = culture is difficult to maintain with rapid growth - Little diversity in the certain product areas and it does get cliquey.

Advice to Management

Please take a deep dive into company culture and inclusion within each department/product. Culture is fostered within these smaller product areas and some could use more help than others. Please also give support more recognition. The work is difficult and demanding and more work/life balance would be nice especially during the holiday season.

Square2018-02-19

"Potential to be great"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great entry level position -Benefits are incredible -Lots of training and support -Teams and leaders who genuinely care about you as a person -An established company that still works and feels like a start up -Kitchen filled with snacks (All the La Criox your heart could desire)

Cons

-Not a ton of opportunities for internal growth. The opportunities that do come have fierce competition. -Support is not a very engaging job. Hard to maintain motivation long term. -Growth happened so quickly, it felt like there was no structure to support employees who are feeling burned out. Quickly changed from a place that I felt valued at to a typical call center that was more focused on numbers than relationships.

Square2018-02-13

"Customer supprt"

Current Employee - Customer Support

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Benefits package is amazing! The pay is well above normal for this field. Everyone I work with is so nice and helpful.

Cons

Support is expected to do a lot of work for other departments because they don't talk to customers.

Advice to Management

Hold other departments to the same caliber you hold support when it comes to customer interaction; otherwise people keep calling in for the same problem we can't solve.

Square2017-07-31

"Square Support"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, free food, flexible time off.

Cons

Young company still trying to figure some things out.

Square2017-05-01

"Cool Company"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO is cool, general day to day, people are nice and friendly.Meals available at work. Free beer and wine after 3pm everyday. PTO is pretty easy going, and sick days are paid.

Cons

You need to be very liberal to work here, and if your not, keep it to yourself. Most people respect your right to a different view, but they do not really treat you the same after words.

Advice to Management

Worry more about the general happiness of employees while they are doing their jobs, and less on making sure they have groups to associate with outside of work hours.

Square2017-01-26

"Downhill"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, inclusive environment, perks like snacks and beverages. Great insurance. Location is easy to get to, company is progressive socially. If you look down on any gender, race, sexuality, etc this is not the place for you. You get to help small businesses and craft people and such earn a living or make extra bucks on their hobby. Very satisfying.

Cons

St Louis has become the center for Support but is increasingly becoming excluded from the rest of the company. Very little room for advancement and recent available promotions were not posted anywhere (we found out spots were open when being told who the new leads are). Recent shake up of the schedule, and plans to do so every six months, means this is no longer a stable work environment. If you don't mind having your schedule changed without regard of extracurricular needs (such as family, volunteer work, etc) this won't be a factor for you. An increasing number of staff are now looking for a new job. Measurements for the job seem arbitrary and little to no guidance is given on how to achieve positive change.

Square2016-12-27

"Great employer but.."

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits of this company are nothing short of fantastic. 4 months paid maternity/paternity leave, open PTO, and much much more. It's a very cutting edge company to work for. The compensation is also quite good.

Cons

While it is a lot of fun to work for Square, it sometimes feels like being in high school. Also there really isn't a lot of transparency in regards to upward mobility. Tons of possibilities are discussed but the odds of moving up are pretty slim, especially in a supporting role. The work for a supporter as to be expected is highly repetitive and can wear you down pretty quickly. Different departments in the company kind of expect support to handle the messes they create without telling us how to confidently or correctly troubleshoot some customer issues.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and realistic about other opportunities within the company.

Square2016-12-12
  10. "Great Job, Great Life"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative- French in New York, NY

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is awesome, and so are the people who work for it. I am new to Square, but already I can tell that those who work for the company (on al levels) care deeply about the mission and the product. The benefits and compensation are on another level, and the work itself is interesting. It's young, engaging, and leads to many career paths.

Cons

Being a customer support representative has its own challenges. The work can sometimes be repetitive, but it is rewarding to help clients grow their businesses. A certain level of drive is needed to do it day-in and day-out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, especially as you try to expand: the office culture is one of the best aspects of the job, and it would a shame to lose that, if the company continues to grow successfully.

Square2016-09-27