Square Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2019

5.0
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

"Great culture and leadership"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Square. The culture is very inclusive and there are world class leaders that are accessible at any level.

Cons

As the company grows there are many re-orgs that can be distracting, but that is normal.

Square2019-01-15

"Product Manager"

Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square

Pros

Company has great established base of Small and Medium businesses through payment processing. These small businesses have many needs in order to run and scale their business and Square is in a great position to go build products that will add value to them. Lost of opportunities to build and grow new products with an established customer base. Fast moving, data driven organization.

Cons

Many products don't have traction yet, means you have to be scrappy and learn how to prioritize the right features based on merchant needs to prove traction and get resources.

Square2016-09-23

"The best place to learn"

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Square has a heavy learning culture. We are encouraged to improve ourselves and help improve our colleagues. * Employees in every role are given a significant level of independence and control over their own field of specialty. * The people are the nicest you'll find in the tech industry. Full stop. * Everyone was drawn here, to some extent, by a desire to make the world a better place through economic empowerment. While you might lose sight of it from time to time on a day-to-day basis, it's good to know that in the long run, you're really helping people who need it. * The food is about as good as it gets. We get spoiled. * Work life balance is (in my experience), up to the individual. Want to work a solid 8-hour shift and then head home and disconnect? Go for it! Want opportunities to pour a little bit more of yourself into your work? There are plenty.

Cons

* Public company life is less glamorous. We can track the value of our company on a day-to-day basis. Focus on short-term gains is definitely on the rise. * Jack is less involved than he used to be, which is understandable. But you can sense his absence in certain larger initiatives.

Advice to Management

* Keep an eye on the prize. We can't economically empower anyone if we're not making a profit, but that profit is just a means to an end.

Square2016-06-14
  4. "Huge learning and growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Square is surprisingly meritocratic for a company this size and growth trajectory. There are tons of smart people around who recognize good work and nurture it. Effectively, if you come to Square, you'll learn a lot, and if you work hard, you'll be recognized and your ideas will make it out into the world.

Cons

Super flat hierarchy means that you've to seek out non-traditional ways of "climbing the ladder". Some people find it a bit all-encompassing. Some workaholism is found :)

Advice to Management

Get even better at recognizing good work. Not everyone has the scrappiness to self-promote, and not everyone should (the organization doesn't function is everyone is self-promoting). Strive for objectivity in prioritizing both work and people.

Square2014-10-16
  5. "Rewarding, challenging, fun"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work we get to do everyday is really rewarding, it's amazing to think about the impact you're making everyday in people's lives. Leadership is strong as well -- everyone on the leadership team really cares about the people, product, customers. Finally, the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Being in the spotlight means we get good press and bad press; hard to control the bad (often blown out) press. The company is also still figuring out it's processes -- so there's some trial and error as we've grown.

Advice to Management

As we grow, the company needs a clearer talent review and promotion structure.

Square2014-10-14