Square Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.3
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "Great work life balance is promised(in 55 reviews)

• "They offer great benefits for their employees while also helping them further in their career(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 29 reviews)

• "Work life balance during busy seasons/days(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great

Apr 20, 2021 - Customer Service Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work with amazing colleagues

Cons

Lack of mobility beyond customer service and ops roles

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Above and Beyond!

Mar 13, 2021 - Customer Success Advocate in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

- WFH kit is provided for free: laptop, 27" 4K monitor, headset and a $500 stipend to buy anything else you might need (desk, chair, etc) - Reimbursement for electricity and internet up to $125 a month - Wellness program that gives you $75/mo to spend on things like (running shoes, massage gun, etc) - Insane opportunity for growth (promoted to a new team w/ pay raise after 2 months) - 401K with 100% company match (to like $6k or something like that) - very good transparency within the company - I haven't been in the office yet, but I hear there are free snacks and drinks

Cons

Legit, there are none so far. Management is so supportive even from a WFH scenario during the pandemic.

12 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture; great mission; interesting work

Aug 2, 2020 - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can't speak for other offices, but pay in Atlanta is top-of-market. Flexible culture. Work from home is going to be allowed permanently, even after the whole COVID situation is over. Flexible PTO. Extensive parental leave. Good balance in engineering culture between shipping features and paying down tech debt. I think this is an overlooked variable at many companies. At Square my experience is that careful consideration is paid to the decision between moving quickly to deliver vs taking time to go back and clean up old messes. Upward mobility. If you come in as a junior engineer, you don't have to look for another job after 2 years to find more responsibilities and commensurate compensation increase. Evaluation for promotion is built-in to the system, and pay increases for promo are considerable, not just token raises. Worthwhile mission. Square is a company that actually takes its mission of "economic empowerment" seriously. It's not just a payments company or a POS company. It's a company that works hard to deliver the products that small businesses need. Interesting work. Whatever you're interested in, Square is probably doing it. Nitty-gritty payments code, ML, cryptocurrency, front-end design and engineering, etc. Room for growth as a company. There's still lots of uncaptured opportunity out there for Square, and the business is actively seeking it out.

Cons

Promotion process is kind of drawn-out and opaque. You work with your manager to put together a promo packet, but then don't hear anything back for at least several weeks. Company culture is fairly homogenous politically. Some people are outspoken about their political beliefs, but it would probably be somewhat uncomfortable for someone who isn't at least moderately liberal to voice their beliefs. Not many cons. I plan to be at Square for the long-haul.

14 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Socially Inclusive Environment and Positive Work Culture!

Dec 3, 2020 - Customer Success Advocate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fellow staff members are very supportive and interpersonal. They have great work life amenities such as food and social mixers that always help to break the ice for social networking. Also entire groups of employees hang out even after work and check out local bars or restaurants to mingle at. Though I wasn't able to remember everyone's name, however I did build great rapport with some truly awesome people and developed new skills and confidence in me. Also the time and energy that management puts into each employee to grow and develop specific areas of improvement was very comforting. No where along my time with Square POS did I feel like I wasn't a part of a team. My supervisor used to always tell everyone in the team meeting that we are "ONE DREAM ONE TEAM!" I would absolutely go back to work at Square if I could. A lot of the coworkers I worked with are still working there.

Cons

They have a ton of freshly cooked meal options (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) as well as multiple kitchens fully stocked with a variety of food, snacks, and beverages. You will likely have trouble not over snacking.

Continue reading
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

New leadership changes are exciting

May 11, 2021 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some teams are really cool to work with - Good cross-functional opportunities - Diverse

Cons

- Some leaders are petty - HR is an absolute mess, incompetence

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I didn't know good companies existed

Apr 13, 2021 - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is mission-driven and genuinely kind-hearted. The culture is employee-first, and mental health is taken very seriously.

Cons

Honestly the only problem I have is that everyone over-communicates changes... but that's such a good problem to have?

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

May 12, 2021 - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of great resources and nice team mates

Cons

Too many EAs; very micromanagerial

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great

May 11, 2021 - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome place to work. Enjoyed

Cons

Nothing negative to say great company

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Place To Work But No Mobility

May 6, 2021 - Compliance Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Square is a fun company that offers a good work-life balance.

Cons

They're not going to promote you and no one seems to think that's a problem.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fraud Detection

Apr 20, 2021 - Fraud Detection Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

great company, great benefits, great leadership

Cons

non this company is amazing

Viewing 1 - 10 of 696 Reviews