Square Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (again depending on your org but it was great in mine)" (in 35 reviews)

• "Provided great work environment" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office" (in 28 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is non existent" (in 12 reviews)

1. "The best career move I ever made..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gourmet breakfast lunch and dinners, a smoothie bar that has some of the best smoothies I’ve ever had, and even a ginger shot (with grapes for chaser) to get your aura right in the mornings.. 4 on-site lunch areas, breakrooms stocked with the most amazing snacks and drinks ..

- Great paternity / maternity leave program. 4 paid months off!

- Super transparent company culture. Every other Friday we have a company wide meeting (with different fine wine and appetizer pairings), where different groups discuss what they’re working on, where Jack Dorsey himself engages with his Squares, and listens to us voice our grievances, whether professional or personal opinions, (and he does so with great compassion and concern for all).

- Awesome CEO that genuinely cares about every single person that works for him. He’s created a very welcoming and inclusive culture.

-Great company events aimed at creating a great, connected culture within the company ! Outrageous company picnic called square games with open bar and hilarious inflatable games and activities and not to mention all the good food! Great events for our merchants.. awesome holiday party.. and even just the random celebrations. Like Squares birthday.. and others.

- Pay is WAYYYYYY above market. Especially if you consider the fact that my stocks rocketed 250% in the past 7 months .

-The smartest and most personable colleagues. I seriously have made some of my best friends through this company. No beaurocracy. Everyone is humble and kind and respectful and happy.

-Flexibility in work schedule as long as you’re getting stuff done. I am able to work around commute hours and even WFH 1 or 2 days a week.. although I really miss being in the office the days I’m not it ..

-Lots of opportunity to make a name for yourself within this company, and given all we’re working on internally in terms of our own ecosystem of offerings, you are going to be sitting on a pretty penny in 5 years if you work hard here.

- CEO is a saint. God bless him for all he does and continues to do for his employees and for the rest of the world. He believes very strongly in being humble and letting the results speak for themselves. It may be why we don’t spend so much money on trying to be ranked the best place to work.

- Management is amazing. Very supportive of personal and professional development.

Cons

I feel like this true of any company I’ve worked at that spoils their employees, but some people begin to feel entitled and whine about the most nonsensical stuff. Like some of these reviews for example. None of you are oppressed. None of you work at a place that you can’t stand. You’d be somewhere else otherwise. And if you think it’s any better anywhere else, by all means, it’s at will employment.. but I will let our boomerang rate (people that leave and then come back) speak for itself.. and as someone who has worked at other these so called “best places to work”, trust me. We have it so, so good.

Advice to Management

Please don’t ever change.

2. "Worked out for me"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my time at Square. As a software engineering you are exposed to all kinds of interesting problems in the financial space. Engineering talent was a positive surprise.

Cons

Company grew from 2000 to almost 4000 relatively quickly. Career advancement can depend on department and manager, although it's a very typical problem at most places I have been working at. Being on-call is expected. The on-call experience is also very team dependent.

"Very high Turnover rate"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square (More than a year)

Pros

They serve good food including all meals and fresh juices

Cons

- most groups have lot of work pressure
    - high turnover rate if manager is not good then no body listens to you...
    - overall good for singles not good for family persons

Advice to Management

They need to have 360 degree review in order to catch bad managers

"Good Perks, Need work on culture"

I worked at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super flexible time off and work from home days, as well as maternity/ paternity leave. If you have young kids, this company is great for you.
    - They try to be inclusive of all cultures during holidays.
    - They're very aware of gender pronouns and try to stand against conventional gender roles.
    - Managers and executives are very accessible. They work alongside people and stay humble, which sets a nice tone for the company.
    - Good core values (nominally)

Cons

- Monetary compensation waaay under market value.
    - Because the company isn't exactly start-up size anymore, it's REALLY hard to move around internally. Not great for people just starting out in their careers who need the flexibility and need to gain a variety of experiences.
    - Upward mobility is also a battle depending on your team. They prefer to hire externally.
    - Management is new and inexperienced.
    - Not great at really understanding where underrepresented people are coming from. There's a lot of explaining you'll have to do to coworkers and managers, since most managers are not part of underrepresented groups. This was probably the most frustrating part.
    - The company talks a good game about transparency, but I didn't ever feel like I got honest answers when I asked questions.

Advice to Management

- Hire other managers of intersectional underrepresented groups. You'll solve a lot of those other problems with a broadened perspective.
    - Have a better (not more rigid, just better) path for upward mobility, particularly for people just starting out.
    - Maybe start by asking the aforementioned groups how you can better assist them, rather than coming up with a plan without their input (which is, in my experience, how it always happened).

"Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty office with fancy appliances. There are some good projects. The pay is decent at least.

Cons

Managers are really aggressive and overbearing. I work like a dog and don't get any recognition. At every one on one meeting my manager never fails to remind me of my shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Get better managers that know how to coach their people.

"Extremely overwhelming. Management micromanages. Doesn't seem like it's possible to move up in the company."

Pros

Amazing perks. Square is trying to improve the culture.

Cons

Insurmountable amount of work expected to do on a daily basis. Incredibly stressful.

"Great perks, great culture"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Really easygoing culture, no micromanagement going on, which is the best part. Flexible hours, and flexible work-from-home culture. Great perks, including free food and snacks, commuter and gym benefits, regular gym classes in the office, etc.

Cons

A little unclear on how to advance in the company. No clear upward trajectory.

"Cool place to work"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

unlimited (limited) PTO, Company events

Cons

No career advancement, limitations on "free" policies

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Facilities, Great Perk and Benefits, Great Colleagues, Great Mission!

Cons

- The company is growing rapidly and this (understandably) causes some friction.
    - People Managers are often SMEs in their respective areas, and may not always be equipped to manage a team on day one - big learning curve.
    - There is a slight culture of bravado - lots of bright employees sometimes means that people do not often admit that they may not know something.

Advice to Management

- Would be great if new managers received coaching before being put into management positions.
    - Allow direct reports to provide managers with feedback.
    - Possibly implement a 360 style annual assessment - this would allow for much more accountability and feedback.
    - Create internal training materials for junior staff - lots of talented workers would benefit from more impactful mentorship.

10. "high effort - high reward"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Square is at that point where it's big enough to have unique, hard problems but small enough that many otherwise solved issues (data and ml infra, scaling & resiliency, cloud computing etc) still there for you to work on!

Engineering talent on average is great so is the eng culture.

Cons

Square is growing rapidly and some of the older dev infrastructure (deployment, visibility, lang support) needs serious work!