Square Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (again depending on your org but it was great in mine)" (in 34 reviews)

• "Fun work environment, encouraged to approach challenges uniquely and creatively, high emphasis on customer satisfaction" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office" (in 28 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is non existent" (in 12 reviews)

"Great perks, great culture"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Really easygoing culture, no micromanagement going on, which is the best part. Flexible hours, and flexible work-from-home culture. Great perks, including free food and snacks, commuter and gym benefits, regular gym classes in the office, etc.

Cons

A little unclear on how to advance in the company. No clear upward trajectory.

2. "Cool place to work"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

unlimited (limited) PTO, Company events

Cons

No career advancement, limitations on "free" policies

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Facilities, Great Perk and Benefits, Great Colleagues, Great Mission!

Cons

- The company is growing rapidly and this (understandably) causes some friction.
    - People Managers are often SMEs in their respective areas, and may not always be equipped to manage a team on day one - big learning curve.
    - There is a slight culture of bravado - lots of bright employees sometimes means that people do not often admit that they may not know something.

Advice to Management

- Would be great if new managers received coaching before being put into management positions.
    - Allow direct reports to provide managers with feedback.
    - Possibly implement a 360 style annual assessment - this would allow for much more accountability and feedback.
    - Create internal training materials for junior staff - lots of talented workers would benefit from more impactful mentorship.

4. "high effort - high reward"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Square is at that point where it's big enough to have unique, hard problems but small enough that many otherwise solved issues (data and ml infra, scaling & resiliency, cloud computing etc) still there for you to work on!

Engineering talent on average is great so is the eng culture.

Cons

Square is growing rapidly and some of the older dev infrastructure (deployment, visibility, lang support) needs serious work!

5. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A really cool experience. The office was always fun and energetic and full of support and encouragement. Great place to work.

Cons

There really is not too much to comment on here. You kind of are in or you are out. There should be more focus on management style as well.

Advice to Management

Some people are fit to manage, some are not. If someone is not in the right position, let them know or explain what they need to do better.

"Could be great..."

Pros

Their mission is great and they are willing to grow. Free breakfast in the morning and your lunch is reimbursed if you eat there.

Cons

They say unlimited pto but good luck getting any time off. It’s suppose to be an open policy but you get a feeling that it’s really not and a lot of clicks go on. Seems to be a set of hidden rules that no one knows about but if you break it good luck. Also if you are a republican don’t work here they trump bash all day

Advice to Management

None

"Work with the coolest kids on campus"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Such a fantastic company! Management is extremely supportive, kind and intelligent.. So are all of my colleagues... No drama workplace... Free Breakfast, lunch and Dinner. Flexible workplace (can WFH as long as you get stuff done). CEO is just one morally sound dude that cares about everyone, including his employees (we love you Jack!). Colleagues are all super fun. Pay is better than almost all tech companies out there. HQ is in SF. Stocks are on FIRE, great RSU/ESPP program, commuter benefits etc. Epic holiday party, and an annual company picnic (Square Games) that is just tons of fun... Company wide meeting every other week with wine and appetizers as of 3 PM. At the forefront of some pretty neat stuff and we are continuing to JUST CRUSH IT... Business is investing in itself and growing like crazy. Tons of philanthropy opportunities... LOVE LOVE LOVE working here.

Cons

None. Seriously. None. I have to write 5 words at least for this so at this point Im just typing, but this is the best place Ive ever worked, and I come to Square from some pretty employee centric companies like Google and Salesforce.

Advice to Management

None. Thank you for being so great, at every level. I have never felt intimidated or fearful of approaching any one of you. You guys are all just so awesome!

"Great company... if you're not a contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I have met some of the most kind and wonderful employees
    - The company culture is great and inclusive
    - "Free" breakfast/lunch/dinner. Essentially you pay for lunch but if you are a permanent employee you get reimbursed
    - PRO Unlimited being onsite and essentially being the "HR" for contractors

Cons

- Terrible management to those who are contractors (minus the Customer Success/Support teams who have the best managers)
    - My managers were passive aggressive and made me afraid to ever miss work (I had the flu one time and they expected me to come in and didn't even send me home after clearly seeing that I was ill)
    - Lack of diversity
    - People being promoted over other people due to favoritism
    - People being put into managerial positions that are not fit
    - Constant micromanagement
    - I heard that some contractors at times get 1-2 days notice before they are let go and not really told a reason why

Advice to Management

Have better management training programs instead of just giving people to manage. I know there are some in place but it would help trying to keep managers accountable and getting feedback from the people that they manage

"great place to work"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

smart people, good food, fair pay.

Cons

haven't found any cons yet

10. "Customer Success Associate"

I worked at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Support leadership not all trained to lead- just manage teams